Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Hunger Halters (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=181087)

Nancy LC Tue, Apr-27-04 17:46

Hunger Halters

I found that if I have a teaspoon of peanut butter in the morning before I leave for work, I can postphone eating quite awhile. Funny thing is, eating an equivalent amount of peanuts wouldn't do it. Another one that seems to work for me is the low carb milk, Hood's Carb countdown milk.

I even got my overweight siamese hooked on it now and I *think* giving him a bit of this milk takes the edge off his hunger and he is eating less (low carb) kibble. I hope it works, hard to convince a siamese cat that he needs to eat less. Talk about getting nagged to death.

el123 Tue, Apr-27-04 18:43

peanut butter definitely does the trick for me. i usually have two tablespoons, though. it fills me up! especially when i eat it slowly and enjoy it. peanuts- too easy to eat. too convenient.

a small string cheese works for me too, because it takes a long time to eat as well. or at least i drag it out so it takes a long time.

honestly, no matter what it is i'm eating, if i eat it very slowly, i can satisfy my hunger.

4beans4me Wed, Apr-28-04 06:57

Cream cheese works for me :D

blue4lemon Wed, Apr-28-04 08:26

I found popping a few fiber supplements works also.

pecan Wed, Apr-28-04 08:34

Quote:
honestly, no matter what it is i'm eating, if i eat it very slowly, i can satisfy my hunger.

same here...especially things that require dipping - forces me to take my time. chips and guac=my favorite, and i suppose the fat is also helpful in keeping hunger away.

Itty Wed, Apr-28-04 08:44

Yeah, a piece of cheese works for me, or if you can't afford any cals/carbs, a cup of coffee or tea, or even mineral water will help for a little bit!

Mary

CindyLJP37 Wed, Apr-28-04 09:28

Peanut butter for me too. I just can't eat a lot within the first few hours after I get up so a TBS of peanut butter holds me over until about 10am :)

Nancy LC Wed, Apr-28-04 09:49

I don't like to eat too early in the morning, otherwise I get hungry too early for lunch. So that's why I do the peanut butter before I leave for work.

Cheese is another good one for me.

believe27 Wed, Apr-28-04 09:55

I'm trying to find the "Fat Bomb" thread and bump it up LOL. Basically it's prosciutto wrapped around cream cheese, some people put an olive inside. Very yummy and a definite hunger halter. I find nuts and nut butters make me hungrier, or at least crave more. Egg/chicken/salmon/tuna salad with lots of mayo and chopped celery or endive is another food that keeps me full.

iwill Wed, Apr-28-04 09:57

Cream cheese or a cup of decaf coffee does it for me.

Karin289 Wed, Apr-28-04 09:58

Coffee with cream and splenda will fill me up every time!

MikieGirl Wed, Apr-28-04 10:17

My picks...

Coffee really works wonders for me. :D

I like the idea of Egg/chicken/salmon/tuna salad and mayo but I will go with miracle whip... :D Yeah, I am one of those people. :) Almonds and string cheese work for me too and of course scrambled eggs.

Nancy LC Wed, Apr-28-04 10:57

Oh yeah, the fat bomb was my invention. :)

The thing I like about the tsp of peanut butter is that its only about 30 calories, vs 85 or so for the fat bomb.

Paris Wed, Apr-28-04 11:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikieGirl
Coffee really works wonders for me. :D

Me too! Almond butter works wonders for me as well. I get super hungry around 9 PM and I love a tbsp of almond butter on a small apple. Yum!

Carole Wed, Apr-28-04 14:11

Peanut Butter

What brand of peanut butter do you buy? I can't find any that are sugarfree and are low carb.

MikieGirl Wed, Apr-28-04 14:34

Me neither. Does a really L/C or SF peanut butter exist?

Nancy LC Wed, Apr-28-04 14:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikieGirl
Me neither. Does a really L/C or SF peanut butter exist?

I grew up eating SF peanut butter. My mom always bought Laura Scudders brand, contains: Peanuts, oil and salt. I was shocked to learn that people actually eat peanut butter with sugar added to it. Sacriledge! :)

Trader Joes supplies my peanut butter now, its also sugar free. I think most health food stores would have it also.

mcsblues Wed, Apr-28-04 14:55

If you go to your local health food store they wiil grind it fresh with no additives (sugar,salt or vegetable oil - commonly found in commercial brands).

Malcolm

MikieGirl Wed, Apr-28-04 15:11

Thanks guys!!!

We have a Trader Joes nearby. I will have to check it out.

lowcarbjo Wed, Apr-28-04 15:45

It's funny cuz peanut butter does it for me too. Prior to this WOE I'd eat peanut butter MAYBE once a year, never really craved it, or cared for it too much. Now.... I have a tbsp EOD. My only problem is that the only brand I like (I've tried many but go back to my fav) is Kraft Crunchy and I know...I know... it's got sugar (2.4 grams of carbs Tbsp) but if thats the worst thing I eat during the day then I think I'm doing okay!!

dawnellen Wed, Apr-28-04 16:56

carb options has a low-carb peanut butter it is great my husband likes it better then the regular. publix and kroger carrie it other stores might but thats the stores i have its right next to the regular peanut butter

pammmye Wed, Apr-28-04 17:46

Almond butter is lower in carbs

Hi,
:hyper: Woopie! I think this idea could be just what I have been looking for. I want to keep a hunger killer in my purse for when I am out and cannot get the kind of food I want. Going to the movies is an example. I took vienna sausages but felt uncomfortable popping the top in the theater. I mention almond butter because I drink a lot of diet sodas and every carb counts. Almond butter would use fewer of my precious carbs than peanut butter. I could use a tiny spice bottle and keep it in a ziplock with a plastic spoon in case it got warm and leaked out.
Thank you!!!!!

LilaCotton Wed, Apr-28-04 21:50

Almond butter is lower in carbs, but is way more expensive. Peanut butter (the sugarless kind) only has a couple carbs per serving.

Some grocery stores (WinCo in our area) has in their bulk sections where you can grind your own peanut butter, just like at a health food store but at a fraction of the price. WinCo also has grind-your-own-almond-butter, LOL.

Also, Adams is a brand of peanut butter I grew up with. Ingredients: peanuts, salt. It does need refrigerated, and stirred occasionally as the oil tends to settle at the top.

I would highly recommend staying away from Skippy's LC peanut butter after reading all the crap they add to it.

fendel Sat, May-08-04 21:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I even got my overweight siamese hooked on it now and I *think* giving him a bit of this milk takes the edge off his hunger and he is eating less (low carb) kibble. I hope it works, hard to convince a siamese cat that he needs to eat less. Talk about getting nagged to death.

:lol: I know what you mean! :lol:

I have a 20-pound kitty who's half-Siamese, and if his dish is empty, I never hear the end of it. He will yowl himself hoarse!

When I was on this Atkins-cereal-with-Carb-Countdown kick for breakfasts, he climbed up on the table and tried to nose his way into the bowl, so I know he likes the stuff... maybe I should try giving him some "officially"! :)

DebPenny Sat, May-08-04 21:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by fendel
:lol: I know what you mean! :lol:

I have a 20-pound kitty who's half-Siamese, and if his dish is empty, I never hear the end of it. He will yowl himself hoarse!

When I was on this Atkins-cereal-with-Carb-Countdown kick for breakfasts, he climbed up on the table and tried to nose his way into the bowl, so I know he likes the stuff... maybe I should try giving him some "officially"! :)

Oh, don't do that. Put him on a raw meat diet. If he's overweight, he'll shrink right down to where he should be and he won't be begging for food all the time because he'll be satisfied by the food in his dish. Cat's get addicted to carbs just like humans, and they get hungry right after eating carbs just like humans too.

All processed cat- and dogfood, even the ones saying they are low-carb, are still way too high-carb for our carnivorous friends.

fendel Sat, May-08-04 22:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebPenny
All processed cat- and dogfood, even the ones saying they are low-carb, are still way too high-carb for our carnivorous friends.

I know what you mean, I used to read cat food ingredient labels and be appalled at the grain content.

The complicating factor in our case, though, is that my little guy was diagnosed with chronic renal failure three years ago; he's been on prescription cat food ever since, and he's been noticeably healthier. He mostly eats the canned food (which is less carby than the kibble, AFAIK). I'm reluctant to change his diet at this point because the prescription stuff has done him a world of good.

The other thing is, I always hear about ground beef being laden with bacteria and contamination--wouldn't that be bad for cats too?

Lobstergal Sat, May-08-04 23:51

[QUOTE=fendel] He mostly eats the canned food (which is less carby than the kibble, AFAIK). QUOTE]

The canned food for cats is pretty much pure meats. They do best on a high protein diet. My 6 month old cat eats a half can a day of canned food and that seems to do her fine all day. She is slim, healthy looking and has tons of energy. She also likes cooked broccoli but that is a different story. LOL.

I also give her some things from whatever I am eating..like a sardine from my tin, a few peices of meat, fish or chicken from my dinner or a bit of my scrambled eggs at breakfast.
Tonight she got a leftover hamburger patty (100% beef) and enjoyed
most of it. There is still some left in her bowl so she knows when to quit eating when she is full.

addictmeHM Sun, May-09-04 00:28

Wow, i never knew cats reacted the same as humans. I don't know much about pets.

I usually don't eat in the morning, but by the sounds of the peanut butter thing really working i'll have to try it. Although the only kind of peanut butter in this house is 'peter pan creamy original' which has quite a bit of carbs per Tbsp. Way too much actually, i'll have to look for the lower carb stuff.

Karen___L Sun, May-09-04 08:53

I love 6-8 oz of strong tea (I use 3 teabags including one black, one green and one chai) in 6-8 oz of Hood low carb countdown "milk" and a couple packets of splenda (have never seen the liquid form) or a drizzle of vanilla SF syrup over a large glass of ice to enjoy during my hour long drive to work. It is smooth, creamy and soothing. What a way to start a day that will be incredibly hectic!!! Keeps me full from 6:30 when I usually finish it until 10:30 at least. Then I usually try to tough it out for the last hour until lunch. :o)

Nancy LC Sun, May-09-04 08:59

Cats and dogs aren't bothered by food poisoning like we are. They're built to handle lots of bacteria that'd lay us out for days.