Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   What trigger foods do you have to stay away from? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=137893)

jaybee007 Thu, Sep-18-03 04:37

What trigger foods do you have to stay away from?

As we all know, we love food, right? We all got to be overweight by eating too much of something that tasted good but unfortunately made us gain weight. What foods do you have to stay away from now?

Something that I cannot seem to eat in moderation is peanuts. I can eat bowls of them. Eventhough it`s permitted on Atkins, I still go way overboard every single time.

retrochiq Thu, Sep-18-03 05:57

Definitely nuts (pecans!) and SF candy for me...I've also cut out pork rinds recently as I can down the whole bag in one sitting...scarey!...

serrelind Thu, Sep-18-03 05:59

Nuts. For some reason, even though they are high in fat, they are not very filling, and cause me to just keep munching.

whyspers Thu, Sep-18-03 06:03

Pepsi...definately Pepsi.

L

dieffen Thu, Sep-18-03 06:09

i stay away from ice cream and chicken nuggets... my two faves... i still have cravings for them.

Merrymash Thu, Sep-18-03 06:32

Nuts!!! (almonds, macademian, peanuts, etc) oh and peanut butter is evil!!! I wonder why these are so addicting. I always feel so guilty if i overeat these things...Cheese can also be very addicting.

Seto Kaiba Thu, Sep-18-03 06:38

Cheese is bad...especially Pepperjack. And SF jello with Cream cheese (And anything else with cream cheese :( )

maryp Thu, Sep-18-03 06:42

Nuts (evil almonds, smoked almonds,macadamia, they're all evil) diet cranberry ginger ale. SF candy when I buy it. cheese sticks.
hhmm.. getting hungry

Hilary M Thu, Sep-18-03 06:57

It doesn't trigger cravings for me, but because of the extreme fat and calorie content I have to watch my intake of whipped cream. If I let myself, I could whip up a little carton of cream with some Splenda and eat the whole thing as a dessert (don't worry, I don't do that!).

fishie48 Thu, Sep-18-03 07:02

anthing sweet, especially the sf low carb chocolate, Fern's peanut butter cups, cream cheese or heavy cream with splenda. Way too much of a good thing, but its so hard to stay away.

ichihuahua Thu, Sep-18-03 07:25

Tomato! Tomato Sauce of anykind triggers intense munchies and cravings for sweets! EVIL!!

Iowagirl Thu, Sep-18-03 07:44

Cashews. One bite and I am trying to get my entire head into the container for more.

logansmom6 Thu, Sep-18-03 07:45

DITTO on the nuts for me also. But a big trigger for me is atkins meal bars, and that wonderful new lowcarb candy chocolate bars ect... I can eat these all in extreme amounts. So I have to limit to buying just one of these on the weekends for a treat. They make me crave sweets, chocolate. And that new atkins icecream, I can't just eat one of those small little protions, I could devour all 4 in one sitting.

hysteria Thu, Sep-18-03 08:21

1 - Peanut Butter - only natural now though - I can't stand the taste of Peter Pan anymore. I can easily eat a small jar of pb in a couple days.

2. Nuts (in general)...although I've learned to curb the binging a little, I could still eat a cup of peanuts in no time flat.

3. Whip cream is another down fall - I too could eat an entire Family sized carton of Cool Whip w/o a 2nd thought! Melt some pb & throw some Cool Whip on top & I am in HEAVEN...

LadyBelle Thu, Sep-18-03 10:51

Whipped cream sweetened with splenda or cocoa powder.

armywife3 Thu, Sep-18-03 11:14

Oh boy. Bread of ANY kind. Any kind of bakery items. Forget it. These are not safe anyway but I am very addicted.

Sugar in the first 4th ingredients--forget it. I could eat mud and if it had sugar in the first 4 ingredients I'd be addicted. Pathetic, aint it?

What haven't I cut out??? I had to get rid of bacon b/c I could find no sugar free bacon that wasn't going to cost 10 bucks a pack. Switched to sausage. Recently got rid of onions. I don't touch nuts either. In fact Beer triggers....crud...

ian559 Thu, Sep-18-03 11:19

i have to stay away from Sushi!!!! I could live on the stuff. But all that bad rice........ So I hide from it.

yvonne326 Thu, Sep-18-03 12:06

Unfortunately its fruit...no matter what ... They start cravings thus I will eat and eat all day long.

skibunnie Thu, Sep-18-03 12:09

Whipping cream, and any low carb candy

amtuamor22 Thu, Sep-18-03 12:13

Nuts and chips. :lol: Something about that salty crunchy taste that you eat one, and another, and another. :nono:

Rachelle Thu, Sep-18-03 12:27

Really all i crave and must stay away from completely is chinese food.. rice and egg rolls and home made sweet and sour sauce.. :cry:

vbrowne Thu, Sep-18-03 12:40

ian559, I eat sushi all the time, I just peel off the fish and throw the rice away - I don't let it sit in the dish, or I know I'd be tempted.

serrelind Thu, Sep-18-03 12:41

yvonne lol me too.. I've been known to binge on frutis.. weird huh?

newmee Thu, Sep-18-03 12:54

For it is Atkins Advantage bars...they make me crave for more....and more of them...lol...and any kind of nuts or peanut butter.

ian559 Thu, Sep-18-03 13:59

vbrowne. I make sashimi thats the fish with no rice and you can still use the wasabi and stuff to. Bu I make it at home so I will not be temped by the rice. Its really not the rice only. It all the good salads you get at the sushi bar too. All Of them have sugar in them. So I just stay away and make what I can eat at home. Though I do miss my trips to the sushi bar and shooting the breeze with the chefs (I am a chef also)

slimcat Thu, Sep-18-03 14:16

Trigger Foods

Hi All,

I never realized this would happen...I crave berries. Yes, I know I'm allowed to have them in moderation but I absolutely crave them. While trolling through the salad bar yesterday, these were available. It was all I could do restrain myself to 1/2 cup. Thank Goddess, they were on ice...If I could just smell them, I'd be in a strawberry stupor.

Yum..just dip them every so lightly in Splenda :angel:

jaybee007 Thu, Sep-18-03 15:21

I missed Dim Sum so much last week, that I had to try and eat it by peeling off the skins . I managed to peel the steamed won tons off of the dumplings but you never know what the heck is in the mix anyways. I miss my sticky rice my spring rolls and egg tarts.

scorpio381 Thu, Sep-18-03 15:36

Sugar free popsicles do it for me. I can't stop with just one!

ItsTheWooo Thu, Sep-18-03 15:37

Mine is lean red meat. I don't know what it is but red meat just drives me crazy, in the right mood I can inhale a steak without realizing.

It used to be nuts, but I have learned to control myself.

Honestly, I don't have that hard of a time moderating my food intake now, I am not powerless with food like before.

DerBlumers Thu, Sep-18-03 16:12

Oh my...trigger foods...I need a couple pages....:D

I suppose that in my top five trigger list, four of them would have to be some form of BREAD or PASTA. I especially crave Vietnamese Pandan Bread .... if I'm anywhere near the stuff, I just HAVE to have it!!!!

Oh yeah...the only exception to my BREAD thing in my top five is herring in wine sauce.....I could eat an entire quart in one sitting!!