Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   weight and sizes (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=122943)

stacysheil Tue, Jul-15-03 06:43

weight and sizes

Since talking to my cousin yesterday, I have been wondering. Iknow this WOE makes you lose inches as well as weight. I told her I was in a size 12 and 14.She said same size as her. She weighs about 160 and I weigh about 175. I was wondering what some of your weight and sizes are. It also makes me wonder what size I will wear when I am down to 160. I cant wait.

GoHokies05 Tue, Jul-15-03 06:47

Hey!

I am a size 14-16...depending on where I shop....I think its not just my weight but my huge hip bones. Child bearing hips? LOL Oh well, what can ya do? :roll:

LCalamari Tue, Jul-15-03 06:50

I am in 16-18 I carry most of my weight in my hips also

stacysheil Tue, Jul-15-03 06:56

Thats something because before I started this WOE, I couldnt get one leg in a 16-18 at 222lbs. The only thing bad about losing inches instead of weight is that everyone always asks "how much do you weigh" instead of "how many inches have you lost" When you tell them how much you have lost they sometimes think well thats not much to lose.

tagcaver Tue, Jul-15-03 07:06

OK, I was in a tight 16 when I weighed 170+ lbs (about 8 years ago). I was in a tight size 8 when I joined here in June at 143 lbs. I have shed 9 lbs, and my size 8's are looser. With 10 more lbs gone I should be able to manage the size 6 Levi's I have hanging in the closet.

I think frame size, torso length, and height also make a difference. I'm 5'4" and according to wrist measurement have a medium frame, although just barely. I have a very short torso (the waistlines on most pants come up to the bottom of my rib cage), and that means I have less "space" in which to fit the normal amount of internal organs. So that thickens me around the waist some, making sizes a bit larger for my height.

Off to the gym now....

Joan

MaryToU Tue, Jul-15-03 07:16

Right now a loose size 12, getting ready to buy some 10's soon.

hippygal Tue, Jul-15-03 08:09

You also have to realize that when doing Atkins you loose alot of inches. You can be heavier than others but in the same size clothes because your measurements are smaller. That is the beauty of Atkins!

debmarjs Tue, Jul-15-03 08:21

I am 150 and in a size 8 or 7 !!! When I started this woe I was 182 in a very tight size 14.

lbiessen Tue, Jul-15-03 08:39

I'm 5 ' 2 and weigh 135, I wear a size 7 pants. I wear a large shirt (I have large breast).

I'd like to loose 10 more pounds, but I don't want it to be from lower body, I'd like to to come off my waist and up ward. (as if I can tell my body where to loose the weight).

babeez1 Tue, Jul-15-03 08:49

LCalamari...get this....I weigh 240.5 and I wear a 22...imagine my hips :daze: I was at 275 and a size 26/28. I have very large hip bones...even when I weighed only 150 lb for 6 foot tall I was in a 10. I will never be a single didgit pants wearer becasue of these woolly mamoth hips.

Marchstart Tue, Jul-15-03 09:09

Im a size 16...most times...a 14W too..depends as well what I buy.....Im about 190 now....but have a small waist and bigger hips....
I want to be a confortable size 12......:) hopefully at 160 I will be that......

Sentoria Tue, Jul-15-03 09:13

Right now I'm between 12 and 10. I've bought some 10's from the Gap or the Express, but need 12's from Old Navy :roll: I also went from buying Large to Medium. It seemed so weird to me but my karate sensei said that since I have a lot of muscle it's normal.

Roxann Tue, Jul-15-03 09:18

weight and size

I am a tight eight with many 6's awaiting my goal!

cincin11 Tue, Jul-15-03 09:24

I am 5'10" and weigh 178.8( in the morning). When I started I weighed 193 (this was in afternoon) so, in the morning I wouldve weighed less. I was and still am wearing my size 14 jeans and they are still tight around the waist for some reason.

Cindy

Lacey O Tue, Jul-15-03 09:33

You have to realize that all clothes are not made equal, but also it depends on a person's height and weight, as to what size they wear. A person's height determines alot, how the weight is distributed all over a person's body. I weigh the same as some people I know, but they are taller than me so I wear a bigger size.

plk5907 Tue, Jul-15-03 09:44

I'm 5'1" - 115 pounds and wear a loose size 4. I know that sounds small - but I have very thin bones and no boobs to speak of so my ideal weight is around 98 pounds. I have lower body weight that I am trying to get rid of and having a hard time of it. I should be wearing a size 2 - I can but they are a little tighter than I would like.

MocaGyrl Tue, Jul-15-03 09:53

Nothing is equal in this weight loss world. :daze: I posted about this yesterday, that my jean size does not match up with my weight loss (25 lbs, many many inches). While I am down a cup size, & in t-shirts & skirts, I am still wearing the same size jeans - very low rise fitted jeans, that is. I never wore them before, so their tight fit is an adjustment. I always wore styles that fit like levis 501's. When I ask for that size jeans, the salesperson always looks surprised - bc I don't look like that's the size I'd wear. And it's surprising after losing 25 lbs, that I am still wearing that size. :confused:

So, basically, I've concluded that I have reduced a few sizes, inspite of what the label of the tight Brazillian low rise jeans say! :p

slp2000 Tue, Jul-15-03 10:03

It depends on the designer, when I purchase clothes from a cheap store, I have to buy bigger
(they run small), when I buy the more expensive clothes, they are around a size 6

Annie-Pie Tue, Jul-15-03 10:09

Started in April at 18/20W. That's when everything hit the fan and I said enough of this!
This weekend, bought new clothes for vacation...L instead of 1x or xl. Pants are 16/18 and not in women's. It feels as good to me as those of us wearing a size 10 instead of a 12. We're all trying and we all want desperately to be thinner!

I wanted to congratulate Marchstart and Sentoria . Sorry, didn't look at everyone's stats, but I saw yours and I am so proud of you. You should pat yourself on the back! And eat a giant box of jr. mints (just kidding ha ha ha). :lol:

Blessings,
Annie-Pie :wiggle:

chelles Tue, Jul-15-03 10:59

It depends on the brand of clothes I wear - the cheaper they are, the smaller the sizes run. (More like what they were before the 80's when sizes were adjusted to compensate for growing U.S. girth.)

I'm around 5'7" - large frame - 190 pounds (not sure - I only weigh myself every few months) and can wear a 16 in most brands, 18 in Wal-Mart jeans or shorts.

I just bought a pair of Levi's with a lower waist and they're definitely tighter than a regular fit.

My original goal was to wear the jeans I wore in high school, but the sizes have changed so much that I'd need to be a size 9 and I don't want to work that hard to maintain my loss!

TennisBum Tue, Jul-15-03 11:47

Well I'm going to give a guys perspective here in case other guys are wondering the same thing. I've read many times about how people lose the weight differently doing Atkins than they did on a lowfat diet. I can testify that it is 100% correct. I've been wearing a 34" waist since I got to around 185 pounds. The last time I wore a 34" waist was 10 years ago when I was around 165. People that have known me a long time are saying I look thinner now than I ever have before. So to answer the original question, I am 5'10", 179 pounds and wear a somewhat loose size 34" waist.

TennisBum

Tiggerdy Tue, Jul-15-03 13:14

Ok, I just *have* to chime in. ;) I agree whole-heartedly w/TennisBum- I am still a ways from my goal, but I'm shrinking size wise. I'm currently in 20/22s at around 250 lbs. The last time I weighed this, I was in tight 24s. I think the method of my losses and exercise has helped in the inch-loss department.

It's almost like a game to see what size I'll be in when I get to goal. At this point it's all up for grabs. ;)

Happy LCing!
Nikki :daizy:

bethg Tue, Jul-15-03 13:24

I'm a size 5 but used to be a 3. Trying to get there again.

gretchend Tue, Jul-15-03 13:49

I am 5' 4" weigh 149-152 and wear size 10.

ketodiva Tue, Jul-15-03 15:16

Now this is crazy. At 319 I wore a 28W. I'm in 22W jeans now and they're pretty loose. I'm at 273. I'm going on a cruise for Christmas and New Years so had to buy shorts and tops now. I bought 18s. I'm hoping to be around 250 by the end of the year. I'm 5'7" tall and very evenly proportioned.

I had a goal dress for 275 that I wore about 10 years ago. When I started this woe in Feb. I took out the dress and couldn't get it over my hips. It's a 2x. Now the dress is too big. :yay:

I've been rethinking my body size and goal weight lately. I think at my former goal weight of 155 I would probably been around an 8. I changed it today to 165 which would give me a body fat index of around 22%. I'm hoping that will be a comfortable size 10.

Sometimes I feel like I'm playing lc powerball with all the numbers. :lol:

tasche Tue, Jul-15-03 15:28

I think also what counts is how you like wear your clothes. Alot of ppl like to wear their clothes skintight ( nothing wrong with that me I like to breathe) some ppl like me like to have them fit but not tight and others like them loose. It all comes down to how much ease you like in you clothes.

Case in point I have a friend whose apprioximately the same size girth as me (before I lost 14lbs) and says she wears size 14 jeans. Now I'm only just fitting into 16's comfortably but have noticed her jeans are painted on. Are we about thesame size? yes probably do we wear the same size? errmmm NO. But thats fine with me

cincin11 Tue, Jul-15-03 15:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasche

Case in point I have a friend whose apprioximately the same size girth as me (before I lost 14lbs) and says she wears size 14 jeans. Now I'm only just fitting into 16's comfortably but have noticed her jeans are painted on. Are we about thesame size? yes probably do we wear the same size? errmmm NO. But thats fine with me

I know that's why mine are still a little tight.From 193 to 178 lol. I must have been really squeezing in there. They probably fit when I bought them .

WJean Tue, Jul-15-03 21:44

I have been doing Atkins since 03/01. At 5' 10" and 161 lbs I am a size 12...it will be wonderful to get into a comfortable 10. This has been a great way of eating for me and the weight came off easily in the beginning. I started at size 16 (yuk!!) These last few pounds want to hang on! good luck to all!

junebug61 Wed, Jul-16-03 05:21

I am 5'7" and I wear a 10-12, depending. This morning I weighed in at 140.

jaybee007 Wed, Jul-16-03 05:34

I`m 5"3 and I have more body to squeeze into this frame so I wear size 14. I go shopping today so perhaps I`ll fit into a 12, but if I don`t, that`s ok, since I`ll eventually get there. This is the first time in my life where " it isn`t about looking cute anymore.."