Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   U.S. (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   low carbing in Iowa (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=94477)

julieboo3 Tue, Mar-25-03 10:28

low carging in Iowa

Hi. Just wondering if there any fellow low carbers on this board from Iowa. Sometimes I feel as if I am the only person in all of Iowa that is low carbing!!! :wave:

Iowagirl Tue, Mar-25-03 14:43

Well, now there's two! I'm in Davenport, and you?

junebug61 Mon, Mar-31-03 17:03

Three, Cedar Falls

Iowagirl Wed, Apr-02-03 15:29

Are you from Iowa or just had to relocate to this beautiful state of ours?
I grew up in the Des Moines area.

SubwayGirl Wed, May-28-03 19:14

Iowa

I'm in Mount Pleasant Iowa!

Iowagirl Thu, May-29-03 07:58

Would you believe I've actually been to Mt.Pleasant? I have a friend that has temporarily relocated there - works for the phone company - Iowa Telecom.

Iowagirl Thu, May-29-03 09:27

Wait a minute...there's no subways in Iowa! :D

julieboo3 Thu, May-29-03 17:38

I am in Manchester, Iowa, ever heard of it? Just a small town but I love it!!

SubwayGirl Thu, May-29-03 18:24

Iowa

I love Mount Pleasant!

Sometimes I wish there were no Subways in Iowa-It sure is hard to ignore the bread and those darn cookies!
I have never heard of Manchester, Iowa. What part of Iowa is that in?

Iowagirl Fri, May-30-03 08:27

Been there, too! And to the lovely Backbone State Park.

julieboo3 Fri, May-30-03 17:40

Manchester is in the northeast part of Iowa. i love backbone park also! One thing I don't like is that there are not many low carb things in the grocery store yet,such as low carb bread. I keep hoping that someday........

Iowagirl Sat, May-31-03 08:33

There are NO low carb products in Iowa - I buy everything online!

SubwayGirl Sat, May-31-03 08:37

I have noticed that too. Everytime I am in a new town I check out their grocery stores for low carb items. I have not had any success. The only thing I have found is a GNC in Iowa City that carries one item-a box of the Atkins bread mix. That is it!

I have not tried to purchase any low carb items online yet, but I plan too. I am really interested in those low carb tortillas that everyone has talked about. I guess what holds me back on ordering is that I am afraid to pay a high price for something that does not taste good. Does anyone have any favorites?

Michelle

Iowagirl Sat, May-31-03 20:00

There used to be a New Pioneer Food Co-op in Iowa City. I would think they would have something. Have you tried Cedar Rapids? Surely they have a GNC at the very least.

The lc tortillas are great. I, too, hesitate to buy some of these things as they are so expensive and, let's face it, some are downright horrid. Check out the link here about products - they show some reviews people have given. Or start a new thread - what's your fave lc product. I have made quesadillas from the tortillas, tacos and breakfast burritos. They freeze well so order in bulk!

Iowagirl Tue, Jun-03-03 10:16

Hey - where did everybody go? :wave:

SubwayGirl Tue, Jun-03-03 18:44

Where did everyone go?

I'm still here.

How's everyone doing? I had a very cheaty weekend, but am back on track.

Michelle

Iowagirl Wed, Jun-04-03 07:54

:nono:

Birthday party? Those tend to be the demise of most. I have one this weekend - my baby will be 4! Gotta find a Dora the Explorer cake.

dakotagirl Wed, Jun-04-03 21:20

hello everyone

Im not from Iowa but just came back from there... It sure is beautiful there....I was in Ida Grove what a pretty town loved it..Im from North Dakota and although it is green right now..seeing all that green grass and trees were something different for me....lol good luck in Iowa

SubwayGirl Thu, Jun-05-03 18:14

Oh wow-I forgot all about birthdays! Two of my children have birthdays in August. Maybe by then I will have come up with a low carb version!

Dakotagirl-I used to live in Detroit Lakes, by Fargo ND. I sure do not miss the snow! :)

Michelle

Iowagal Fri, Jun-06-03 05:09

:wave:
Hi Everyone! I'm new to the sight and thought this would be a great place to post my first message! I am from the Mason City area. I decided May 1 would be the beginning of the new me! I started following the Atkins diet and have lost an amazing 14 pounds in just a short period of time! The best part is I do not have any cravings and feel satisfied longer. We have a great GNC in Mason City! Half of the store is filled with all of the low carb food selections..I only wish other stores would carry low carb since GNC is EXPENSIVE! Hey Subway Girl, I go through Mount Pleasant all the time! We travel down to Fort Madison to visit my Grandma a coupld times a year. Is the construction done with the Avenue of the Saints! That really changed the look of the town. I look forward to talking with all of you! have a great Friday! :roll:

Iowagirl Fri, Jun-06-03 09:52

Welcome fellow Iowan! (nice name - don't try and steal my thunder :D )

I've never been to the Mason City area - how's the weather up there?

GNC is overpriced EVERYWHERE, in my opinion. Isn't there an alternative/off beat kind of market in your area?

SubwayGirl Fri, Jun-06-03 14:53

Iowagal-there is still construction going on! I can't wait until it is all done. The GNC in Burlington has next to nothing. Maybe I will check out one in Iowa City.

Michelle

Iowagirl Fri, Jun-06-03 15:02

New Pioneer Food Co-op in Iowa City might have some things as well, at least know of somebody that would. Good luck!

Iowagal Fri, Jun-06-03 19:58

:p Hey IowaGirl...nice name :) I did my name before I got into the message boards and did not know you had such a similiar name! We really don't have many choices in Mason. GNC is the only place that I have found low carb items. Pretty pathetic for the size of town.

Has anyone tried almond flour? I just ordered some from online...it is GREAT!! I'm looking forward to substituting it for the soy flour!

Iowagirl Fri, Jun-06-03 21:01

One of our local stores just started selling the almond flour _ I've been wanting to try it. As I recall it was selling for an outrageous price. How much did you pay for it online, if you don't mind my asking?

Iowagal Sat, Jun-07-03 08:18

A 5 pound container cost $19.95 + shipping and handlling (which was an outragous $11.95!!) You can actually make your own almond flour. Just put in a food processor until it is a fine powder and BEFORE it turns to Almond butter. I really love the flavor! Here's a great recipe:

1/2 cup Almond Flour
1/4 cup whipping cream
1 or 2 packets splenda

mix together and microwave for approx 30 seconds. This is a great alternative to Cream of Wheat and Oatmeal. :yum:

Iowagirl Mon, Jun-09-03 07:56

Sounds good. I've heard of making your own flour but.....I have a blender, not a food processor - would that be good enough?

I do miss oatmeal on those cold Iowa mornings.

wolfchoker Tue, Jul-08-03 20:58

Hello Hawkeyes!

I live near Davenport, and have been LC since one week before Xmas. Have lost 48 lbs (as of this morning). When I started, I set a goal to RUN the Bix 7 road race at the end of this month. (I walked it last year) I am proud to report that I ran a seven mile training run several weeks ago.

fyi, Walmart does carry some of the Atkins candy bars and shakes but haven't seen the products like baking mixes.

:doah: MMM pork chops!

Iowagirl Wed, Jul-09-03 07:46

So - are you gonna run the Bix? I myself am interested in walking it (stress that - WALKING it) but things didn't quite go as planned this year.

Greatest Grains has the Atkins baking mixes, though I wouldn't encourage anyone to buy them!

wolfchoker Sun, Jul-13-03 21:07

Running the BIX

Yes, I am definately running the BIX. The training run was on the actual race course. They block of the streets on the Thursday nights prior to the race and hundreds (thousands!) of people run and walk it.
The course is hilly, starts with a very steep ascent up Brady street, but the worst is a series of hills around the midpoint, and a loooong continuous rise from mile five to six.
I walked it last year in 1hr 45 minutes. The training run I did was in 1 hr 18 minutes, not really competative, but I weigh twice as much as the Kenyans who typically win it. Let them try running it carrying someone piggyback and let's see how fast they are!

:doah: mmmm bacon!