Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   LC Research/Media (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Dr Atkins on Larry King Live Jan 6, 2003 (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=76294)

Talon Sat, Dec-21-02 16:18

Dr Atkins on Larry King Live Jan 6, 2003

http://atkinscenter.com/Archive/2002/12/10-470850.html

"Larry King Live" with Dr. Atkins
Event Type: Television
Date: Monday, January 6, 2003
Time: 9:00 PM - 10:00 PM EST
Featuring: Robert C. Atkins, M.D.

Description:
Dr. Atkins will be a guest on CNN's "Larry King Live" on Monday, January 6. Larry King will interview Dr. Atkins one on one as they discuss the Atkins Nutritional ApproachTM, as well as the upcoming book, Atkins for Life.

jude Sat, Dec-21-02 16:44

Hi Talon,

Thanks for posting this. This is definitely one I don't want to miss.
I hope it's going to be a one on one interview. It should be interesting to hear Atkins when he's not spending most of the interview being browbeaten by some uninformed low fat guru.

BTW congratulations on your "tuck in" success! I laughed when I read that in your journal and thought to myself, "Yes! Right on! People who don't have our problem just wouldn't understand, but tucking in and wearing a belt is one of those major milestones. Just yesterday, I tried a pair of old jeans on that I haven't worn in years, and to my surprise, they fit.

judy

bob Wed, Jan-01-03 15:16

:wave:
I haven't read Talons Journal but I know EXACTLY what you're talking about! I'm wearing clothes again that I haven't worn in the past couple years and tucking my shirts in too! Feels great! :yay:
I'm really not a tv watcher...dont even have cable and I'll be working when Atkins is on CNN, but I'd love to see it. :idea: hmmm, maybe I'll get someone to tape it for me. Thanks for the info! :thup: :thup: :thup:
Bob

Lars Wed, Jan-01-03 16:49

Ouch! No american TV

Hi,

This sounds like a must-see - for those that can...

Can onyone on this forum, or do they know someone who can, digitize this and make a download ? Otherwise I'll have to get a transcript.

Thanks!

tamarian Wed, Jan-01-03 16:55

CNN has transcript archives for all their shows, they can always be found here:

http://www.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/

Wa'il

Lars Wed, Jan-01-03 17:07

Video

Thanks - I found it just before I received your reply :)

I also sent an e-mail to his staff asking if it would be possible to get a digitized version of this one show for all the people who can't get CNN. It probably won't work, and I probably won't even get a reply, but it's worth a shot. It's always better to see the show than to read it. (guess reading it would be like "watching" fireworks on radio - a great concept by Mr Letterman)

ToBeThin99 Wed, Jan-01-03 22:08

Good News

Hi,
This is good news. I am definitely going to watch this . It will be good to here from the MAN himself :D

HippyMIs Fri, Jan-03-03 12:10

Dr.Atkins on TV again....Jan. 6

Dr.Atkins will be on Larry King Live again on Jan. 6 - I always love hearing him! Just thought you might want to know!!!! :D :D :D :D

macleay Fri, Jan-03-03 16:12

Thanks for letting us know. I've never seen him before
and I'd really love to. That's Monday. Okay, now I've
just got to remember :D !

Jill :wave:

Talon Sun, Jan-05-03 07:55

Just a reminder - tomorrow is the interview! I'm not going to be able to watch it live, but I have my Tivo recording it at midnight ourtime from the west coast.

jude Sun, Jan-05-03 09:20

Hi Talon,

Thanks for the reminder. Did you also see that he's going to be on the Today Show and The View near the end of January? Looks like LC is finally getting some attention from the mainstream media.

judy

bob Mon, Jan-06-03 07:31

Here is a copy of the email I recieved this morning from the Atkin site.

Now it's your turn to be heard! Dr. Atkins will appear as Larry King's only guest for one-hour on Monday night, January 6th at 9 P.M. EST on CNN and you can call-in to the program. The toll-free number won't be made public until the show begins, but Dr. Atkins invites you to call-in and ask your questions and share your success story with viewers of the Larry King program. Don't miss this terrific opportunity to tell the world that the Atkins Nutritional ApproachTM has worked for you and can work for others like you.

Dr. Atkins will answer questions about the science behind the Atkins Nutritional Approach, the foods you should eat when doing Atkins—including the right kinds of fruits and vegetables—and will discuss his new book, Atkins for Life, available in bookstores and at AtkinsCenter.com as of January 18th.

It's a "Don't Miss" for people who do Atkins.

tamarian Mon, Jan-06-03 16:29

O.k., a 30 minutes warning to tune in :)

Don't miss it folks!

Wa'il

tamarian Mon, Jan-06-03 16:50

Quote:
Originally posted by tamarian
O.k., a 30 minutes warning to tune in :)

Don't miss it folks!

Wa'il

Oops, sorry, I'm still thinking PST while I moved to EST! :D

It's at 9 PM EST

Wa'il

jude Mon, Jan-06-03 17:39

Larry King is on again at midnight. I'm assuming it's the same show--right? There are a couple of other programs on a 9pm that I want to watch and tape, but I wouldn't want to miss Larry King. Anyone know for sure?

Thanks,

judy

tofi Mon, Jan-06-03 20:37

Atkins is on Larry King Live Monday

And Larry is letting him make all kinds of good points & not putting him down. Hurray! Atkins is getting to tell people why LC works & how well.

Catie Curric was even polite to Suzanne Somers this AM (she's always rude to Atkins people & tells them they're wrong.) Catie did says it wasn't what she believed but let SS go on. We may convert her yet.

Natrushka Mon, Jan-06-03 20:41

Barb, There's a bunch of info on this in the research / media forum :) :

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...&threadid=76294

Nat

gc1 Mon, Jan-06-03 21:05

Dr Atkins On CNN audio

I have recorded this and have a audio version of this.

If you would like a copy of the 50 min or so interview you can mail me at greenchicken88~hotmail.com and I will send you a copy of it via my regular email address.

The file is 2.68 mb so you will not be able to get it on one of them free email accounts but I will be glad to mail it to you.

It was a great interview

Good Luck
47lbs and counting here 6 months and 1 day

Jeff

jude Mon, Jan-06-03 21:12

Excellent show! What the heck is macadamia nut butter?

What gaul that a weight watchers rep caller suggested people on Atkins would eventually feel "deprived" not eating potatos, rice, pasta, etc. Huh! Weight watchers diet is one big deprivation!

judy

tofi Mon, Jan-06-03 21:29

Macadamia nut butter is just ground up macadamia nuts. Just as peanut butter is groundup peanuts. That dessert of his sure sounded good - I may try it tomorrow.

The WW person tried but Atkins didn't let her get away with it. Hurray again.

tamarian Mon, Jan-06-03 21:34

Excellent show, finally we have Dr. Atkins (Bob) having some time to speak, without being heckled and interrupted by vegan docs every 10 seconds who refuse to cite any studies!

Wa'il

macleay Mon, Jan-06-03 22:02

I agree!

I've never seen Dr. Atkins speak before. I was on his diet 20 years ago and got off it for a few reasons, one of which was that I didn't think it was healthy.

I enjoyed every minute of the show and thought he came across as very credible. I love his style. He's totally honest--when Larry asked him if he had an "I told you so" attitude, he admitted that, yes he did. But not in an obnoxious way.

He also got in several times that this is not just fat and meat, because he said he probably eats more vegetables than most vegetarians! And lots of nuts and berries. Larry couldn't believe parts of his diet, i.e. the heavy cream and eating meat fats. Of course, Larry had a heart attack a while ago and was put on a low-fat diet and he pointed out several times that what Atkins was advocating was not the "norm".

I also laughed when the Weight Wachers person called in. Atkins handled her easily.

I thought this was a totally positive interview and would be interested in what others thought. I taped it for my LC friends and I'm sure they'll enjoy it.

Jill :thup:

Pat S. Mon, Jan-06-03 22:45

This was great it was the first time my DH could see what the good Dr. had to say. I was very impressed with the Dr. Atkins.
What about this Macadamia butter mixed with heavy cream Dr. A's dessert. MMMmmmm sounds good. Pat S

Turtle2003 Tue, Jan-07-03 00:09

This was by far the best interview I've seen with Dr. Atkins. As someone pointed out, he is usually very busy fending off attacks in his interviews. This time he had the time and opportunity to more fully express himself and stress things such as the importance of eating healthy vegetables and even low carb fruits.

I liked the fact that he was willing to admit that he doesn't know everything, such as when he admitted he doesn't know why the diet is good for acid reflux.

One reason I enjoyed the show is that King was fair in his questions, even though he was obviously having trouble getting his mind away from the 'fat is bad' mindset. Made me laugh a few times.

Lisa N Tue, Jan-07-03 07:08

I agree that this was by far the best interview I've seen with Dr. Atkins yet. He finally got to make the point that induction is only 2 weeks in a plan that lasts a lifetime and that maintainance includes foods that all the critics say low carbers don't eat, like fruit and unrefined carbs in moderation. Even the earlier levels of the plan include lots of veggies!
LOL...If I were Dr. Atkins, I would have been tempted to ask that Weight Watchers rep if her clients don't feel deprived not being able to eat bacon, sausage, cream and steaks! My SIL has been on that plan off and on and the points for those things are so high that nobody on the plan wants to waste so many points for only a mouthful of those foods (can we say hungry all the time and craving sugar?) :D Instead he made the point that there are low carb substitutes for nearly anything that you might feel you're missing.

gmmd Tue, Jan-07-03 07:22

:spin: I remember the interview was one at 9:30 so caught the last half (was watching the Food Network - hmmmm......) I thought he handled all the questions with style. I must admit, the one guy that called in and questioned the Mad Cow thing, I have also thought about that here and there as I'm eating a big old slab of beef.....But then I figure there's million of people in the US and no one has gotten Mad Cow....I thought it was funny though that I'm not the only one obsessing!! Bye the way - I'm down 7 pounds - yipee -- must update the profile - I love the percentage thing! :p

Sheldon Tue, Jan-07-03 13:30

Dr. Atkins did a fairly good job. But the program had a few drawbacks for me.

First, Larry King is a poor interviewer. There was no order to his questions. He lurched here and there without rhyme or reason. It would have been hard to follow for someone who knows little about Atkins.

Second, Dr. Atkins tried to keep it too simple. Did you catch that the word "insulin" was not spoken once, even when diabetes came up? He never explained why carbohydrates are bad and why fat is good. Too many times he said that if it tastes good, then it's good.

I fear that any critic or skeptic watching the program would have simply dismissed the diet. And anyone on the fence who has heard criticism might have done the same.

That's how I saw it.

Sheldon

Turtle2003 Tue, Jan-07-03 14:58

Quote:
Originally posted by Sheldon
Second, Dr. Atkins tried to keep it too simple. Did you catch that the word "insulin" was not spoken once, even when diabetes came up? He never explained why carbohydrates are bad and why fat is good. Too many times he said that if it tastes good, then it's good.

Well, you've got a point, and I did notice how he was dumbing down some of his answers, but you've got to remember that he wasn't talking to you or me, he was trying to reach all those Americans who would be scared off by a technical explanation of the diet and whose heads have been filled with 'fat is bad' for the last 20 or so years. I guess he felt that he should keep his message to 1) his diet works for weight loss, 2) it is a healthy diet, and 3) it can indeed be a lifetime eating plan.

Just exactly what percentage of Americans are interested in reading clinical studies, learning a bit of biochemistry, or educating themselves on nutrition to the point where they quote results from the Framingham heart study? Our numbers are very, very small.

Sheldon Tue, Jan-07-03 15:09

He could have simply stated that all carbs turn to sugar, which stimulates insulin, which is implicated in heart disease, Type II diabetes, cancer, and other ailments of civilization. Otherwise, it looks like mere assertion and as though he's asking people to take it all on faith.

Sheldon

JeepGuy Wed, Jan-08-03 01:09

Lars!

Email me at nwcubsfan~hotmail.com for info