Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Know of Any Acceptable Gum? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=109750)

eagle34 Fri, May-30-03 22:05

Know of Any Acceptable Gum?

Hi,

Anyone know of any gum that's OK (no Nutrasweet or saccarine)?

I found this GREAT flavored water at Wal-Mart called Fruit-2-0 that has Splenda. Now I'm looking for some gum.

Also, week 1 of induction I lost 5.5 pounds but I had a slip up today (rice and beans) :-( ... will this put me "back at the beginning" so to speak?

Thanks,

J

mammoth Fri, May-30-03 22:21

Only gum I could find in the grocers was TRIDENT Cinnamon. Xylitol and sucralose...so is OK.

Other flavors of Trident are different...just cinnamon works!

Hope this helps;
Jake

mrschmelz Fri, May-30-03 22:24

I chew Dentyne Ice. Each piece has one sugar alcohol in it.

campbanana Fri, May-30-03 22:29

Carefree Koolers
Trident
Dentyne Ice/Dentyne Fire
Orbit

eagle34 Fri, May-30-03 22:36

Thanks guys.

I like Dentyne Ice, but I haven't looked at the label since I started Atkins and didn't know it was OK. Haven't had gum in a week and it's driving me nuts.

campbanana Fri, May-30-03 22:43

If you like Dentyne Ice, you've got to try the new Dentyne Fire. It taste just like an old fashioned fire ball. It's the very best cinnamon gum I have ever tried!

eagle34 Fri, May-30-03 22:45

:D I was eyeballing it (the Fire) really hard when I was in the store the other day; just figured I couldn't have it.

It's weird because after day 3 or so, I haven't been really all that hungry and my cravings have gone down substantially, but I still feel like I want to eat, so I'm hoping the gum will do the trick.

campbanana Fri, May-30-03 22:46

I only chew gum when I exercise.

Kathy54 Fri, May-30-03 23:55

Safeway sells a Dentyene made with splenda, never with out it, I break it in half, thou as 1 carb per stick.
Kathy

Joe Joe Sat, May-31-03 01:09

I've been chewing Max Air lately, it's pretty good. Similar to Dentyne Ice.

Beetlebug Sat, May-31-03 07:48

:wave:
This was such a great question! I have had the wonderful ketosis breath and just thought I couldn't have the gum and with these choices at least people won't run from me now LOL :D
Do you worry about the carbs?

cetacean Sat, May-31-03 08:53

i chew trident myself. it definitely helps with the breath. hehe

btw, eagle34 - congrats on your weight loss!! :yay:

flangee Sat, May-31-03 23:49

on the package of max air it say for carbohydrate reduced diets, and there is 0 carbs and no sugar. mainly malitol and a little aspertame. I like the best!

Joe Joe Sun, Jun-01-03 01:18

Quote:
Originally posted by flangee
on the package of max air it say for carbohydrate reduced diets, and there is 0 carbs and no sugar. mainly malitol and a little aspertame. I like the best!

Excel gums used to say that as well, but now they don't... :confused:

I chew Max Air too!

wordlady Sun, Jun-01-03 05:39

I've never heard of Max Air!! Is that a type of gum or the maker?

We buy a huge pack of Orbit at Sam's club...and I chew it anytime I'm in a social situation or will be close up.

whyspers Sun, Jun-01-03 06:09

OMG...Dentyne is now made with Splenda???? I saw an ad on tv last night and could have sworn it had the little Splenda symbol on it, but wasn't sure. This is so kewl!!!!

L

S_Hysmith Sun, Jun-01-03 08:57

Trader Joe's sells a tin of hot cinnamon gum called Dragon Fire. It uses maltitol, so it's effectively 0g, and it's a nice hot flavor. The nice thing about this gum is that, unlike a lot of SF gums, it still tastes somewhat of cinnamon a couple hours later, rather than like the sole of your shoe...

cc48510 Sun, Jun-01-03 09:27

Trident Cinammon. Until this year, it was made with Xylitol and Saccharine. Then, they changed to Xylitol and Sucralose. I still have alot of the old Saccharine Trident with the warning label and all. Trident was one of the last few comapnies to still use Saccharine exclusively (not counting Xylitol which is used for texture). Only product I'm aware of using Saccharine anymore is TAB, and now they mix it with Aspartame.

LadyBelle Sun, Jun-01-03 09:32

You can buy econo packs of Dentene with splends online. There is a splenda site that offers it, plus cookbooks for cooking low-carb low-cal with splends. I ordered the dessert ones, yummmmm.

LeanLiones Sun, Jun-01-03 10:48

Where do you find Max Air gum?