Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   How many of you actually notice a difference with aspartame? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=119925)

Meg_S Fri, Jul-04-03 13:10

How many of you actually notice a difference with aspartame?

Hey there, with the summer heat I've found myself drinking a LOT of iced crystal lite.... which is a lot of aspartame that I never used to consume. At all.

How many of you have noticed negative effects specifically from aspartame? It's not something I would want to consume long term, but in the summer heat and humidity here in NY it really feels like a nice treat.

If the overwhelming response is STAY AWAY FROM THAT ASPARTAME I will sigh and do it, because at heart I feel like I should be anyway. If it's like.. well... they "say" you shouldn't have it but I do anyway and don't notice anything, then I might try to get away with things.

Thanks
Meg

sourdaisy Fri, Jul-04-03 14:43

I get horrible migraines from it. Aspartame converts to formaldehyde during digestion, which is why there's all sorts of uproar about it. I would think in small quantities it's probably ok, but I wouldn't consume vast quanities of it.

Mellow Fri, Jul-04-03 14:58

It is my belief that it causes neurological problems with prolonged use.

I've consumed more than my share of aspartame via diet cokes mainly, but many other products also. I now have neurological damage of "unknown origin." It can also take you quickly down the road to MS.

Fortunately, if you realize the repercussions of too much aspartame (formaldehyde) on your body and quit using it, some of the side effects are reversible over time.

This is just my opinion, I'm not a doctor, but I speak from experience.

Meg_S Fri, Jul-04-03 15:37

Hey thanks a lot for the responses, it's what I needed to hear!! I have to kick this "habit in the making" that I knew was wrong but didn't want to stop :)

take care,
Meg

liz175 Fri, Jul-04-03 15:56

I don't think it interferes with my weight loss, but I sure feel a lot healthier and more energetic when I don't eat or drink anything with aspartame. I also think it is addictive. A few months ago I noticed that I had gone from occasionally having aspartame, to drinking one diet Coke every day to drinking several diet Cokes every day and I just felt lousy. I went cold turkey and stopped the aspartame. It took me about three weeks to get over the cravings, but I am glad I did it. I just feel healthier without it.

cdnbarbie Fri, Jul-04-03 17:55

I'm one of the lucky few that never had any adverse reactions to anything containing aspartame. Been living on it for years and years during one diet after another.

BUT I have given it up and replaced it with Splenda or Stevia.

It's very hard here in Canada to find anything SF that doesn't contain aspartame. I've been doing a lot more cooking from scratch lately!

Kristine Fri, Jul-04-03 19:04

I don't know; I've never given it up long enough to find out. :rolleyes:

jude Fri, Jul-04-03 19:29

Before Splenda, I used Equal in my coffee for years, with no side effects. Since starting LC, the only aspertame I consume is in Crystal Light--and I drink about 16 oz a day, (more in a heatwave), again with no apparent side effects (I've lost 53 lbs in 10 months). I guess everyone is different.

judy

03BenzChic Fri, Jul-04-03 22:21

I use it daily and have not noticed any ill effects- i.e. slow weight loss or headaches.

JessaLynn Fri, Jul-04-03 23:31

Some food for thought...

I've used aspertame containing drinks, foods, candies etc. for 3 years now, and have found no bad effects. I've lost weight very rapidly while drinking 2-3 diet sodas/drinks a day and eating sugar free candies. The only thing I've noticed is the candy, if you over do it... you'll get horrible gas! :eek: My personal favorite diet drink is sugar free Kool - Aid! :p Tropical punch flavor is soooo yummy!!! Good luck with whatever you choose to do!

Jessica :daizy:

pepsi max Sat, Jul-05-03 04:29

i have it daily mainly diet coke or pepsi max-my favourite. i,ve never had any problems with it.never get headaches.

Paris Sat, Jul-05-03 05:11

I am another person who gets migraines from it. I can occasionally do a Diet Pepsi or a slice of sugar-free jello but that is it.

Angel66668 Sat, Jul-05-03 10:21

Aspartame doesn't seem to affect me.

joboblaw Sat, Jul-05-03 10:47

Aspartame doesn't seem to effect me...yet anyway. I've also found a wonderful belgian chocolate bar that has no sugar in it. It has Maltitol instead. It is so good, made in Chase, BC, Canada. Name brand "Ross". You can find it in Health food stores and in Shoppers Drug Mart in BC. Also, the website is lowcarbdelights.com. They have, depending on the bar, from 2.3 to 3.9 grams of carbohydrates per bar.

I've strayed a bit this morning...had 1 1/2 cups of cherries for breakfast. Tis the season. I'll probably eat foods I've missed to day, in moderation. Like watermelon. That's okay though. It just makes me that much more determined, the next day

bookwoman Sat, Jul-05-03 16:32

No problems

Been drinking lots of diet sodas with aspartame for over 15 years. Never had a single health problem. In my opinion (although it means nothing) I have a hard time believing all the "aspartame is poison" hoo-ha, but it's a real thing to some people. Just like anything else, some people may be sensitive to some chemicals and the stuff bothers some people. I'm much more likely to believe that the only 'harm' I get is that it MAY affect my insulin--thus contributing to me being 'fluffy'. So, like anything else, if it doesn't work for you, don't do it....

sasquatch Sat, Jul-05-03 17:14

Some people say that aspertame brakes down into evil chemicals, but I never had any problem with it. Then again, I'm from new Jersey- chemicals are a basic food group!! :devil:

day966 Sun, Jul-06-03 19:06

never had any problems. i have to have my diet dr. pepper once a day but other than that, it's water, water, water.