Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Heavy Cream Question (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=101611)

kish Mon, Apr-28-03 10:25

Heavy Cream Question

Hello All, What is a good brand of Heavy Cream?

Thx in advance.

-k :confused:

paradise Mon, Apr-28-03 10:41

There aren't necessarily "good" brands or "bad" brands of heavy cream. Cream is really a commodity product like milk. I just get whatever heavy cream (as long as it doesn't have added sugars, etc.) in the store next to the milk and half-and-half.

kish Mon, Apr-28-03 10:43

Ok Thanks. I never bought it so is it in a carton like milk?

Thx.

-K

csj Mon, Apr-28-03 10:44

Yup. Usually in pints or 1/2 pints. Enjoy! The stuff is great.

Cindy

paradise Mon, Apr-28-03 11:21

Yes, I have even found quart cartons!

faeriegirl Mon, Apr-28-03 11:22

How much cream does everyone usually have in a day? I know that on induction, you aren't supposed to have anymore than 2-3oz... but how about afterward?

I.W.Gurl Mon, Apr-28-03 11:32

All Natural Stuff...

I actually get my heavy cream from Nature's, so it has absolutely no additives... since it's about double the price of anywhere else it also helps limit my purchase and consumption. :rolleyes:

I try to keep it under 3 tablespoons everyother day - for some reason I have this real mental block that tells me if I go over that I will start packing on pounds. (I am also trying to limit my calories - cream really kills me!)

paradise Mon, Apr-28-03 11:39

faeriegirl, I usually put 2 oz. in my morning coffee (yes, I was one of those people who liked a little coffee with their milk) and pretty much keep it to that, unless I whip up one of the great LC dessert confections from this board, which is only occasionally. Just don't want to go too crazy with cream, I guess.

srd0821 Mon, Apr-28-03 13:17

Is heavy cream & whipping cream the same thing?

GeorgiaB Mon, Apr-28-03 13:28

If you have a Trader Joe's near you, that's a great place to buy cream. They have heavy cream by the pint for $1.67 or so which is the absolute cheapest I have found it. It's also got no sugar added to it and it's milked from cows that haven't been given hormones. Great tasting stuff, too! I usually buy 4 or 5 pints at a time and stick all but one of them in the freezer, that way I'm not making a trip there every few days.

paradise Mon, Apr-28-03 13:38

srd0821, heavy cream and heavy whipping cream are one and the same.

srd0821 Mon, Apr-28-03 13:39

Thanks paradise!

Making sure.... :thup:

lkonzelman Mon, Apr-28-03 13:43

Quote:
How much cream does everyone usually have in a day? I know that on induction, you aren't supposed to have anymore than 2-3oz... but how about afterward?

Usually 1 carb per tablespoon so just make sure to count it. And never give up your mandatory veggies for anything.

All the best.

srd0821 Mon, Apr-28-03 13:46

Quote:
And never give up your mandatory veggies for anything.

I've read the book, but could you refresh my memory? Thanks! :rolleyes:

lkonzelman Mon, Apr-28-03 14:01

Two to three cups of these induction allowed veggies are mandatory. For natural vitamins and fiber and general great health while the pounds slowly leave our frustrated bodies! ;)

manucpa Mon, Apr-28-03 14:42

At 100 calories per oz I usually don't have more than an oz at a time and not every day.

BarbCA Mon, Apr-28-03 15:15

When I first started low carbing I went to the dairy distributor and bought 1/2 gallon of manufacturing cream which is heavy cream that has just been pasteurized not ultra-pasteurized as is most that is sold in the grocery stores. It is heavenly but I couldn't use it all before it started to turn so I made butter out of the remainder. Makes lovely butter.

faeriegirl Mon, Apr-28-03 19:30

It is 1 carb per tablespoon? When i went to fitday.com - it says 7 carbs per cup of heavy cream (liquid form)...? I'm confused now. If it were 1 carb per tablespoon, wouldn't that make it 16 carbs per cup? or do i have my measurements wrong?

jeanyyy Mon, Apr-28-03 20:23

faeriegirl :

When measuring liquids, there are 8 fluid ounces in a liquid measuring cup and each fluid ounce equals 2 tablespoons, so yes, 16 tablespoons in a cup. According to this site's carbohydrate counter (see Tools, above), there are 6.64 gms of carbohydrate in 1 cup of fluid cream (which would equal 2 cups when it's whipped). Hope this helps.