Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Triple Digits Club (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   How often do you excerise??? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=175672)

leasmom Mon, Mar-29-04 14:58

How often do you excerise???

So far I am trying to build myself up with excerise. I started by walking once a week, last week I did two times a week, which was 5 laps the first time and 3 the second time...I then did a mini hike with dd, but then my allergies got to me and I didn't want to move...

So, I went today to walk five laps- :yay: :wiggle: :yay: while my allergy medicine was WORKING and I'm thinking about making it 3 times a week since I have the time until June when I go back to school.

So, what is your excerise routine, what are your goals??? :yay: :wiggle: :yay:

pidosmum Mon, Mar-29-04 15:48

Unfortunately, right now, I exercise very little. I try to convince myself to do Tae Bo and lift weights, but I'm not a good motivator. We do walk the dogs when it is nice - usually just a 30 minute walk or so. However, I enjoy being outside. When the weather changes, I will be encouraged to do more things. I enjoy walking the dogs, playing tennis and riding my horse. I can't wait for the weather to get nice. But until then, I have to haul my carcass into the spare room and get moving.

diemde Mon, Mar-29-04 19:18

I exercise 5 to 6 days per week in the comfort of my living room. Doing it at home seems to make motivation easier than having to get ready to go out. When I first started I was only doing it 3 times or so per week.

I do the Walk Away the Pounds (WAP) video every time, mostly the 2 mile walk which takes about 1/2 hour. (I started with the 1 mile and worked my way up.) It includes some resistance training for the upper body using a stretchy band. Every other day, in addition to the WAP, I use dumbells and do a few upper body movements.

Starting out slowly and increasing each week is a great plan. If you are walking outdoors, then having a walking program like WAP for the rainy days is a great back up plan.

One thing I found to motivate me is having special shirts just for workouts. I bought a couple of those tops with the built in bra. When I put the shirt on, I feel like I should be exercising. I guess looking the part just makes me feel good. :lol:

Hope this helps!

Dewi Mon, Mar-29-04 19:28

These are my current goals for the 5th TDC Fitness Challenge. I try my best to adhere by them as long as I am not sick.

1. Get to my gym 4-5 times a week.
2. One of the above days should be for an Aqua Fitness class.
3. Hit the Sauna once a week to release stress.
4. Go to Curves 2-3 times a week.
5. Stretch to avoid injury.

sophotia Mon, Mar-29-04 19:44

I got to Curves 3 x's/wk and as long as the weather permits plan to add 2 days of walking to that regiment.

Paris Mon, Mar-29-04 19:49

I just started exercising again, and I am aiming for 2 days of water aerobics and 3 days of strength training. So far I am 1/1 and feeling pretty good!

Ellen-mom Mon, Mar-29-04 20:42

I go to Curves 4 days a week, and do my ab machine 2x per week. I rest on Sundays.....lol

CarynLucy Mon, Mar-29-04 20:57

Exercise is fun!

I've been pretty good at exercising at least 5 days a week, you'd think weekends would be easier, but actually I just want to sleep in on Saturday.

I've been consistent with wanting to be running by spring, so I started with one minute of running and walking in between. I add one minute a week, I'm up to 3 minutes. Some days are definitely easier than others, but I know if I just keep it up I"ll be a "runner" in no time.

I also do 1/2 hour on the eliptical machine and 1/2 hour circuit training. I do some free weights also, there's a couple of machines I'm simply too short for....I've been trying to stretch more at the end, because I've been getting wicked leg cramps at night, find it helps to stretch before bed.

So have a great evening all! Keep up the exercise :)

C :yay:

diemde Mon, Mar-29-04 21:36

Caryn, if you are having leg cramps at night, take cal/mag and potassium supplements. That's a common problem and the supplements clear it up.

LisaS Tue, Mar-30-04 01:20

3 days on, 1 day off, rinse and repeat - though usually on day off I do *something* else - long walk, practice a skill, play a sport, etc.

AFwife Tue, Mar-30-04 01:30

I exercise 5 days a week.

I was doing my stepper on Tuesdays and Thursdays for 20 minutes and Mon, Wed and Fri I was doing crunches, side lateras, push ups, leg raises, arm curls and squats but now I'm doing:

Monday, Wednesday, and Fridays I do my Richard Simmons video for 50 minutes and on Tue and Thurs my stepper.

I just started on the video yesterday and this morning woke up to a 4 pound Whoosh. :cheer:

mrschmelz Tue, Mar-30-04 04:11

I lift weights Body for life style on M/W/F and run between 3 and 5 miles on T/TH/S. I also play basketball every Wednesday morning for around 2 hours. Sunday I sleep for HOURS AND HOURS, usually only around 9 but it feels like an eternity.

teresamay Tue, Mar-30-04 05:10

I do typically 3-4 miles a day walking, plus my pilates video 2 times a week (i have a daughter who likes to jump on my stomach, so it is hard to get in time). It is amazing how much I look forward to my walks - I do 1 mile in the morning when I walk to work, 2 at lunch with rocky_cdn and 1 in the evening. My body expects it now, and I find that I get antsy if I don't move. My energy level is up much higher than it has been in years.

orchidday Tue, Mar-30-04 10:23

I walk three miles every other day but I really had to work up to that. At first, I could only walk about a half hour about a half mile. Being a smoker and very sedentary for years did not help :).

But now I look forward to it enormously and enjoy it! I found some ripe oranges growing on the trail today an picked one to bring home.

I took the TDC fitness challenge and it is a great thing. You know, it is hard for us TDCers to get out there and do it. It is hard to do distance walking or any exercise when you take 100+ extra pounds with you everytime.

But exercise is one of the corner stones of successful weight loss. It will help keep us toned and mentally sharp. In the long run, it truly helps keep the weight off.

I know it's tough. Last time I was on Atkins I didn't exercise much other than taking the dog on short walks. Needless to say, I think that contributed a lot to my gaining it back rapidly.

Keep moving TDCers! If you are doing more than you used to, it is enough. We don't need to be triathaloners but just increasing our movement does wonders!

Orchid

lizwhip Tue, Mar-30-04 10:30

I have started a rather intense gum-chewing regimin, and find that if I stuff an entire pack in my mouth at once I can burn quite a few calories in an hour.

Liz

Ellen-mom Tue, Mar-30-04 11:10

Liz, ROFL!!!! So THAT'S your secret.......

CindyG Tue, Mar-30-04 15:58

I think I'm switching from 3x a week at curves and 2x a week 30 min on elliptical for Liz's Plan! How many packs of gum do I need to buy? How many chews per hour? How many calories will that burn????? :lol:

orchidday Tue, Mar-30-04 16:54

Heyyyyyyyyy if that were true I would have the jaws of a pitbull........shucks.