Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Low-Carb Products (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   OSoLo Muffins & Breads (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=55812)

Lisa in MD Thu, May-16-02 14:17

O'so Lo Muffins-BLECH

I saw these at the Health Food store and bought a four pack for $5.99, and they taste good until you swallow them. Aftertaste just sucks. They're so promising, only 2-3 carbs a piece, very nice size, but neither myself nor my hubby can take the aftertaste. They do have a website, www.osolo.com in the event you would like to try them, because they are available and we're always looking for some of our old carb laden favorites, like muffins.

Karla Thu, May-16-02 14:53

Gee, after an endorsement like that, who could resist? :lol: :lol:

Just kidding, people do like different things. If I see the word "soy" in a recipe or product, I runt he other way.

Karla

Lisa in MD Thu, May-16-02 17:48

Well, you never know

Even though we thought they were icky, someone else might want to try them and may even have a different view on them. I just checked the label, yup soy flour and soy protein, but that's not what leaves the aftertaste, though I don't like soy much either. Hubby thought it was the Splenda, but I use that all the time, so it has to be something else...

Anyway, just wanted to see if anyone else had partaken in their joys :rolleyes:

Lisa N Sat, May-18-02 08:00

Lisa...

I agree. I tried a pack, ate one and threw the rest away. They didn't even taste good going down for me. I think I'll stick with the Atkins muffin mixes; they're not as big, but they sure taste better to me.

Lisa in MD Mon, May-20-02 08:07

Ate One, gave the others away

We've had two get togethers (myself and two other ladies from the LC board) and both times I was able to offload stuff I bought but didn't like. You know, one man's junk is another man's treasure. Hate being wasteful, so if they take them home and throw them out, it is, in some twisted way, not as wasteful in my mind. Yesteday I gave away some Carbolite bars (prefer the Ross Dark Chocolate), 2 muffins and 2 Robbins Nest Bakery cake rolls. I got some FlaxOMeal cereal yesterday. Haven't tried it yet, but it was an inspiration to try the Carb Sense cinnamon spice cereal, which was remarkably good and has kept me feeling filled up. I added some more splenda, some butter and some cream to it so I'm sure I doubled or tripled the calorie count!

Catmom Tue, Aug-13-02 12:55

OsoLo Muffins

My local health food store carries these frozen and I decided to try them. Only 2.6g carbs and no flour or sugar. YUM!!!!!!! I got the vanilla flavor and only have 1/2 muffin at a time and no more than 1/2 per day (only 1.3 grams carbs) - I sometimes have it with my eggs in the morning. They have a website www.osolo.com if you can't get the products locally. The muffins come in several different flavors - I jusy bought banana today and will try it out later in the week and post about it. BTW the cost is $5.99 for 4 reasonably sized muffins, but at 1/2 per sitting not too bad. All low carb food is so expensive - this didn't seem any worse.

I haven't done this but their website suggests spenda whipped cream and strawberries on the vanilla muffins as a shortcake - I'll bet that's great. I'm not eating fruit yet sos someone else will have to try it
Catmom

lperk002 Fri, Oct-25-02 08:59

so, how did the banana taste?

my local health food store (that is run by the most sallow skinned vegan) has started carrying more LC foods, among them the osolo muffins. I picked up 3 flavors - along with a package of "rollz". I hope I don't regret the rather hefty investment!

lperk002 Fri, Oct-25-02 13:20

o'solo rollz review

I was excited that my health food store started carrying o'solo bakery products. I picked up a package of sourdough rollz (their spelling, not mine) and various flavors of muffins.

Here's my review.

The rollz are oily when you remove the overwrap. If you've baked up a batch of Atkins muffins this won't be a surprise. They are about 4-5 inch diameter, resembling an unsliced hamburger roll. They are a brownish color and look very "grainy". The aroma is very similar to flaxomeal. They were $2.49 (US) for a package of 4.

Frankly, I didn't care for them. I think this has something to do with my love/hate relationship with flaxomeal cereal (I love the first bites when I prepare it as a hot cereal, but eventually the twiggy taste gets to me). These rollz had the "twiggy" taste from the get-go. If you are a diehard fan of flaxomeal, I think you will really like these. They would be perfect for burgers or any other LC sandwich fixings.

One thing to consider, the company offers a $$ back guarantee if you aren't satisfied; I intend to get my $$ back! You can check out the company website at www.osolo.com.

Ingredients: water, gluten, flaxseed, canola oil, veg fiber, inulin, yeast, vinegar [2%or less of the following: sodium stearoyl lactylate, sodium di-acetate, potassium sorbate, l-cysteine, ascorbic acid)

Nutrition facts
calories 170
fat: 9g (sat fat 1.5g)
Cholesterol:0
Sodium 180mg
Total Carb 10g
Dietary Fiber 7g
Sugars 0
Protein 12g

(the package says only 3g of carbs that affect blood sugar/insulin levels.)

lperk002 Sun, Oct-27-02 08:49

Three out of three "Lisas" agree...

Osolo muffins get a :thdown: from me too. Funny, I thought the aftertaste wasn't too awful (just too sweet) and I thought if I didn't have to put them under my nose to get them into my mouth they might not be bad. However, I tried the blueberry and guess what... there's not a blueberry in them! So what makes them blueberry? Weird Science??? Also, based on the packaging I'm sure these gems are loaded with hidden carbs.

The bad news, I also have banana and chocolate ones taking up valuable freezer space. If I get brave, I'll review the other flavors.

I, too will stick with Atkins when I need muffins (assuming of course that I'm willing to pack on 4lbs. to do it - boy, do the frankenfoods mess me up!) Also, see my rollz review... another product to return for the company's $$ back guarantee!

Catmom Mon, Oct-28-02 18:31

I have tried some of theother flavors and I believe vanilla is the best. I didn't like the chocolate one bit and the Apple Spice and Banana have an artificial flavor to them, but they were okay substitutes for the real thing.

Catmom Mon, Oct-28-02 18:35

I agree, these were pretty mediocre. But for those times when you just want a normal burger it is okay when overwhelmed by a big burger and some keto ketchup. The keto ketchup is wonderful.

LoneInAz Thu, Mar-13-03 01:57

I guess I'm just attracted by the low carb of them, both myself and my co-worker tried them when they came in to the store where I work and she and I both liked them alot. Yeah a bit of taste adjustment perhaps, but by the time I get the condiments on them and the cheese and a beefy burger, I'm pretty happy with them. Also carry one to Micky D's next time, toss they're bun and hey its fast food without paying the price. Not perfect, but worth it for the carbs they cost. I found the 'orginal' were much better than the 'sourdough' which didn't taste like sourdough at all to my tastes. Oh yeah, they're fairly cheap at 2.49 for 4 at least as far as low carb products go... Matter of taste I suppose, we also have they're muffins but I havn't tried those, just not a muffin guy all that much these days thankfully...

Kindest Regards,

LoneInAz

CarolynC Sun, Mar-30-03 15:28

I've tried the original and the sourdough. I like the sourdough best. They don't really taste like sourdough, but I thought that they tasted less soyish than the original.

sue222 Thu, Apr-03-03 20:13

O’so Lo Rollz

O’so Lo Rollz

Today I had my first burger on a “real” bun in 8 months, and it was wonderful!

I got a package of O’so Lo original rolls, and they are a great substitute for a hamburger bun. Even my non-low carber loved it. I also tried the pumpernickel, and although the flavor isn’t very strong, it was still very good.

These are going to become a regular part of my summer BBQ season! I highly recommend these for burgers!

CarolynC Thu, Apr-03-03 20:40

I agree. I think that the O’so Lo rolls are great when used as hamburger buns.

tripletmom Fri, Apr-04-03 13:28

O'SoLo Cinnamon Raison Low-Carb Sweet Rollz

I bought a box of these yesterday at my local HF store. I paid $2.99 for the box. I had one this morning, and smeared it with butter, and I must say, it was very nice. I toasted it in my toaster, and it had a similar texture to a very lightly toasted english muffin, sans "nooks and crannies". Texture was pleasant, taste was quite nice. After eating the roll, about 3 minutes later, I did have a weird after-taste in my mouth, but I popped a SMINT mint, and it was immediately remedied. I would DEFINITELY buy these again, and I didn't have any major cravings after eating it.

I ran it through the hidden carbs inspector, and actually come up with a LOWER number than what they have stated on the package. I used the "Baked Products" description.

Here's the nutritional panel, and ingredients:

Serving size: 1 Rollz (2.0 oz) (56g)
Servings per container: 4
Calories: 150, calories from fat: 80
Total Fat: 9g
Saturated Fat: 1.5g
Cholesterol: 0
Sodium 150mg
Total Carbohydrate: 10g
Dietary Fiber: 7g
Sugars 0g
Protein 12g

Ingredients: Water, gluten, flaxseed, canola oil, vegetable fiber, inulin, yeast, contains 2% or less of each of the following: Natural and artificial flavors, salt, cinnamon, datem, sodium stearoyl lactylate, potassium sorbate (as preservative), acesulfame potassium, sucralose, l-cysteine, ascorbic acid.

Here is the hidden carbs inspectors values:

Calculated Information
Carbohydrates factor 3.93536 __
Fat factor 8.71369 __
Protein factor 3.84297 __

Actual Carb count 6.47_g_

Since I don't really subtract fiber (very sensitive) I can still stay under 30g/carb day if I have one of these for breakfast every so often. It's a nice alternative to eggs, and was satisfying.

Has anyone else tried these??

Karen

kati Thu, May-22-03 05:54

o'solo rolls

I tried the original, cinnamon raisin and banana walnut. The original is still sort of okay, cinnamon raisin is very sweet, but I will not throw it away. The banana is much too sweet. It is a shame because they are really filling, their texture is also all right, but the taste?! Why did not just put half of the aroma or whatever in them?Kati

Talon Thu, May-22-03 06:53

My husband likes the o-solo rolls, muffins. But I think: :Puke:

dreis1 Mon, Jul-07-03 20:33

O'SoLo Rolls & Muffins

Has anyone else tried any of the O'SoLo products. I tried their original Rollz and they are L.C. heaven for bread lover's. They have 3g per roll.

I went to their website, www.osolo.com and it was very informative. They have a map to show we you can buy their products.

I want to try the Blueberry Muffins? Can anyone tell me if they are good or not?

Boy, trying to weigh less is costing a lot more $$$$$$$

dreis1 Tue, Jul-08-03 22:07

Thanks for all the info. I think I will try the vanilla and the non-blueberry muffins. I like the fake Jiffy blueberry mix anyway.

I warmed by Original Rollz in the oven, smothered it in butter and ate it in place of garlic bread with a fat, juicy steak. I didn't notice an after-taste, maybe it goes away when it's heated?

I'm glad I found this website, people at work are so critical of Atkins & LC in general!

SherylH Thu, Jul-24-03 20:24

O'soLo Products

Anyone hear of the O'soLo products? I just found sandwich rolls! They have 3g. I had a hamburger with everything plus the bun! Very filling and quite satisfying. The health food store I got them from said they can't keep them on the shelf. Also, Breads for Life, for anyone who hasn't found them yet, makes a great Rye bread which has only 4g per slice. The loaf cost $2.17 and is quite tasty.
Thought you might be interested,
SherylH

NJSweets Thu, Jul-24-03 21:58

I love the O'soLo rolls! I just had one tonight too! I especially enjoy the cinnamon raison ones. They are just $1.99/box at Trader Joe's. I'd also like to get my hands on the peanut butter muffins they make. Mmmm

el corazón Thu, Jul-24-03 22:57

those muffins..

Wow I was just about to post a new thread about these products! I bought the blueberry muffins and the chocolate muffins today. A bit expensive... The blueberry ones were SOOOO good! A little sweet but still feels like youre eating a blueberry muffin. The chocolate was nasty. Or maybe Im just spoiled from eating the muffins I make. I wouldnt waste my money with the chocolate, but if you wanna try they have a money back thing. If you want some GOOOD muffins do a search for The Best Flaxseed Muffins or something like that. I used chocolate whey powder, 1/4 C splenda and 1/4 C davinci chocolate syrup and my whole family is scarfing them down and they think my food is all gross! Im gonna take the chocolate ones back tomorrow and get the peanutbutter I think. I also bought the Keto Shake in egg nog flavor cuz I have been craving egg nog so bad! Well..its not all that great but it was $18 so I guess Ill find SOMETHING to do with it. Any ideas?

SherylH Fri, Jul-25-03 08:35

O'soLow

I'm glad I got replies to this. I was hesitant to try the muffins because of the price and the taste. Now I'll be a brave soul and try them. However, I'm still having problems finding DaVinci syrups in my area. I haven't had a chance to get to TJMaxx or Walmart where I hear you can find them sometimes. I'd like to try making the homemade muffins.
Keep me posted!
SherylH

SherylH Sat, Jul-26-03 10:03

O'soLo

I haven't tried the muffins but I'm quite satisfied with the Atkins mix. I have tried the O'soLo sandwich rolls. They have them plain and cinnamon raison.
The sandwich rolls are wonderful for hamburgers and I had the cinnamon roll this morning with cream cheese. It was a nice change. I don't get anymore of any aftertaste with these than I do with products that use Splenda ... but then I'm never sure if the aftertaste is caused by that or Ketosis.
As much as I enjoy the Carbolite chocolate bars they definitely have an unpleasant effect on me. I love the Breads of Life sprouted Rye bread.
SherylH

dreis1 Sat, Jul-26-03 10:17

El Corazon, can you post your recipe for the chocolate muffins?

Sheryl H-I found SF syrup like DaVinci at Target by their whole bean coffee section. They have 2 sizes $3.50 & $7.99 they are Target's brand, Archer Farms.

We have a Trader Joe's here, I think I will check them out today.

SherylH Sat, Jul-26-03 11:16

DaVinci Syrups

Thank You!! I just "coaxed" my 11 yr. old son to go out with me to track tthem down. I was going to head for WalMart but I will hit Target first!
I'll let you know if I succeed then I can tell all my friends as well.
:yay:
SherylH

SherylH Sat, Jul-26-03 14:11

DaVinci Syrups

SUCCESS!!! I didn't find them at Target so decided to try WalMart. In the same complex was a Marshalls so we tried that first. Voila'
They had a small 4 bottle variety pack for $12.99 but they were out of the chocolate which is what I really wanted but I found it in the large bottles. So I got a chocolate and a vanilla. I paid $5.99 each. I'm so excited to try them. I think I'm going to make a Chilled Mocha Cappucino!
SherylH

el corazón Sat, Jul-26-03 22:47

Recipe

Sheryl-
Heres the recipe I used. I would like to give credit where credit is due but I copy and paste all the recipes that look yummy and save them to a disk so I have no idea who invented this one. I made mine chocolate with 1/4 cup Chocolate DaVinci syrup and 3/4 chocolate whey powder. So gooood! I had a hard time not eating all of them at once...In fact I think I had 2 right out of the oven....

Best Flaxseed Muffins
½ cup Splenda (or ¼ cup DaVinci syrup ¼ cup Splenda...or whatever you feel like doing at the moment..)
½ stick salted butter, melted
½ cup flaxmeal
¾ cup shake mix (I used chocolate whey powder..)
½ tsp. baking powder
1 egg
¼ tsp. vanilla
¼ cup heavy whipping cream
1 ½ tbls. vegetable oil

Mix wet ingredient in bowl, beat well
Mix dry ingredients in second bowl.
Mix wet into dry, stir until smooth.
Bake 15-20 minutes at 350*

Bookery Mon, Aug-04-03 14:09

I bought the cinnamon raisin and the sourdough last weekend for I think $2.99 for a package, which isn't too bad for LC stuff. I haven't tried the sourdough yet, because I am OBSESSED with the cinnamon raisin. I LOVE them. I used to adore cinnamon raisin bagels and cinnamon raisin swirl toast, and these have totally taken the place of those cravings! I toast them and eat them absolutely soaked in butter, and I can barely tell the difference. It feels like I'm cheating. They are *delicious*.