Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Low-Carb War Zone (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=137)
-   -   Atkins? I dont get it. I follow a genetic diet. (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=30523)

LessLiz Mon, Dec-15-08 11:52

Hey, it's the internet. Even a 4 year old thread doesn't die.

Now that I think of it, it would be much cheaper to post your head on the internet for revival after scientists figure out how to do that, rather than paying for cryogenic storage. We *know* the internet keeps every detail intact!!!

frankly Mon, Dec-15-08 16:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Davies
... Our livers were not designed to cope with all these additives, and I think it more than coincidence that many of the personal and social problems of today were not present before all these additives starting being put into modern food...

I don't believe our livers were designed; but each to their own.
As for the "more than coincidence" - what social problems do you attribute to food additives in meat? One could as easily say the opposite; look at the social problems we no longer have, or which have lessened since the introduction of food additives... lynchings, for example, are practically non-existent nowadays; Coincidence? Exactly.

DontLikeHC Sun, Dec-21-08 05:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegieMax
I do understand insulin ressistance and carb addiction. I went through major withdrawls when I eliminated simple sugars from my diet.

The chimp vs. tiger is more than analogy it is a matter of physiology. Our bodies are simply not designed to ingest large quantities of protien. We dont have the cutting teeth for it, not the proper ph in our stomachs, nor the correct intestinal tract.

If you want a healthier way of starting ketotsis in your body then supervised fasting is a better solution in my opinion.

I find also that this whole 3 square meals a day is more of a industrial revolution idea to make sure you could work around your meal times than anything else. Humans were foragers for much of their evolution and hence ate many times a day. I would say 5 or 6 small meals a day, not 2 which is the norm now. This keeps your metabolism up and makes for a very steady insulin curve.

Just my two cents, yes im a vegetarian, no im not perfect. Im glad you have lost whatever weight you wanted to. Now that you have maybe is a good time to take a closer look.

VegieMax

After reading a lot of books and articles about nutrition and health, I have to say that I'm agree with your arguments at 90% (not at 100%). The first question is if we really come from the monkey (but I'm not going to discuss that because I'm not a genetic engineer and that doesn't matters to me).

People are always looking for the proteins because they think the proteins are very important, but not! The biggest example is a baby. When we born, the mom's milk has a protein percentage of 5% to 10%. That means that 95% of the women breast's milk is NOT protein. And we experecience the most biggest growth at that age. So, protein is not as important as most people say.

The first and big rule because we get fat when we eat Refined carbs is because when we eat processed carbs, the GI of those carbs are very high that means the boidy has to metabolize a VERY large amount of sugar in a VERY little time. That puts the body under a stress condition. Metabolize high amounts of sugar as fast as possible. Our body releases adrenaline because in that time our bodies are in a metabolic streess, then some other hormonal chain reactions happens: cortisol, etc... The result is that that refined sugar becomes a very acidic substance and the blood pH is EXTREMELY important to maintain at a delicate level. That acidic waste must be stored in a safe place and that safe place is #1 Fats (90%) #2Liquids (10%). The body only stores excess acid in fat cells. Of course, some meats are acidic too, but that is other story.

Our bodies are not designed to eat a high amounts of proteins as you say. That's true. There are some strong rugby players and they don't eat meat. The body protein requirements are very low and the body can obtain proteins from vegetables too (combining them right, of course). But humans are not designed to eat a 100% meat diet, if you look at the Blood type foods, there are groups that can eat more and other groups that can eat less protein, but no one can eat a 100% protein diet. My blood type is A+ and I can't follow a high animal protein diet. I tried 3 times a Ketogenic diet and it was impossible to me to follow that diet for more than 4 o 5 days. My body produced a very high ketone bodies, and I felt myself very tired and without energy. Now, I follow a high vegetable diet and I eat some RAW animal protein, but in small amounts and I feel very good now.

As you say too.. eat 3 times a day is an industrial myth. In the evolution, people only follow this:
* Eat little amounts of food, a lot of times a day
* Hunt and eat a really big amount of food each 2, 3 or 4 days
* Fasting for a long period of time because the haven't food to eat.

Of course, eat a really high amount of food 1 time a day each 2,3 or 4 days speed up our metabolism, that is true and you can read about it in The Warrior Diet book of Ori. He calls it under-eating and over-eating cycles. So, the correct cycle I think is: under-eat for some days and over-eat 2 or 3 times each week. The insuline curve will be better too, because GI theory forbids a lot of factors. When we eat a high amount of food of high, med and low IG index, the resultant IG level is LOW. There aren't specific formulas to check that, but that is true.

The key about eating protein is to maintain a positive nitrogen balance level in your body and you need 10% to 20% of your total food intake from proteins (animal or veggie protein). Eat more protein is loss money and time.

The last solutions I'm researching are metabolic type food, because I have read a lot of theories and I know that each theory is only a version, has a universal valid part and a conditional part (it depends on more factors not explained in the theory). The food combining for example forbids a lot of factors too. If you eat in a same food Strawberries and Oranges, that (in the theory) is correct, but I can't eat that food combining because I feel bad! The future of Nutrition is THEORY FUSSION AND METABOLIC NUTRITION.
There is a very good nutrition plan that combines the IG index theory and the Food Combiing theory and pH theory and people that follows that nutrition plan are getting awesome results!

About metabolic type nutrition:
metabolic type
genotype
blood type

DontLikeHC Sun, Dec-21-08 05:41

Of course, electrical nutrition is very important too, but complex to fully undestand.

DontLikeHC Sun, Dec-21-08 06:03

A picture of one of my spanish books where you can see the body fat storage depending of the food you eat:

RJLupin Sat, Oct-10-09 09:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegieMax
Id be happy to put some research abstracts together. What exactly is it you would like to know or for me to support? Granted it will take time to compile and in not sure the admin would want it posted.

I would welcome meat eaters to a vegetarian board as long as the research they sited was not commissioned by the Beef Council. Even then it would make for a lively discusion.

I stand by the chimp statement - they are our closest genetic relative. Ive never seen an overweight chimp in the wild.

The reason we have the enzymes to break down meat protien is the same reason we have the enzymes to break down plant protien. People forget there is protien in all vegetable matter, even fruits. And no low or should i say genetically correct protien levels do not cause muscle wasting, thats a myth.

One thought I did have is that the Atkins diet maybe helpfull in the short run because it is allowing time for the insulin receptors to relax in the absence of high insulin levels brought on by eating simple sugars. That is a good thing, following it up with a diet that does not match our genetic predisposition is a matter for discussion.

VegieMax

The whole genetic argument is nonsense, anyway. Salt is one molecule away from being a deadly poison, but that one molecule is enough to make all the difference. The fact that we are genetically similar to anything doesn't at all make us the same. Chimps also attack and eat each other, is this behavior we are supposed to be following as well?

TheCaveman Sat, Oct-10-09 09:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessLiz
Hey, it's the internet. Even a 4 year old thread doesn't die.

Make that eight.

sdeshwood Thu, Nov-19-09 16:20

Sorry if someone already posted this link but I have not read the entire thread:

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/...arians-part-ii/

It's a very interesting article on a theory that humans evolved large brains and intelligence because of eating meat.

Andy Davies Thu, Nov-19-09 17:37

Thanks. An excellent contribution. Ought to be compulsory reading.