Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Thyroid Disease (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   Anyone try coconut oil? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=50841)

PineSlayer Sun, Feb-22-04 12:15

Long term success with coconut oil??

Has anyone had any long term success with coconut oil?

Thanks!

JustForFun Sun, Feb-22-04 12:34

Here ya go.

Buy natural peanut butter, pour off the excess oil, and then mix in coconut oil. :)

JFF:D

PineSlayer Tue, Feb-24-04 09:25

Starting coconut oil

I got my coconut oil from Vitamin Shoppe today. It's Garden of Life Extra Virgin. Very mild odor and taste. Not refined, bleached, or deodorized.
My normal body temp averages 96-97. It'll be interesting to see if this helps.

kay3osu Wed, Feb-25-04 17:17

Hi thyroidM,
i hope you get this. my t3 was tested low but other t4 and tsh normal. so was given cytomel. got a wierd blood sugar reaction. it's been a few months and feeling better so maybe will try again. is that what your mom took? how did she feel? when you have time...thanks...K

PineSlayer Mon, Mar-08-04 13:18

Just an update. I took the coconut oil for 10 days, but quit because it made no difference in my temp and was nasty to try to get down.

PineSlayer Mon, Mar-08-04 22:10

Body Temp almost normal

but not from coconut oil, which I tried for 10 days with no difference in my temp.

Yesterday, I started taking oil of oregano for candida. Today, my temp has been 98.6 all day, including after 11pm. It ALWAYS has gone down to 97.5 every single night by 10 or so. I'm very encouraged.

Perhaps my thyroid is being suppressed by Candida.
Reference this website:
http://www.cal4life.com/category/candidayeastinfections

CONILUV Thu, Mar-18-04 14:47

Enjoyed reading everyone's posts to this thread.

Where do you buy coconut oil?

CONILUV Sun, Apr-11-04 05:47

YG Girl,
Where do you get the Walden syrup? Do you have a title for your coconut oil candy bar? Sounds scrumptious,
THANKS!

Zuleikaa Fri, Apr-16-04 07:19

A lot of people has had a rise in basal body temperature with wild oil of oregano (OOO). It's also good for a lot of other things. Here's some information on it.
http://www.wildoiloforegano.com/editorial.php

yggirl Tue, Apr-27-04 07:49

CONILUV, sorry I'm just answering your post! The Walden's line is usually in the salad section of the stores I shop in(Shoprite, Pathmark in my area), no I don't have a name for it :confused: , I now use it for all my needed Chocolate fixes :D

rodmick Tue, Apr-27-04 10:50

Any one using the oil of oregano and the coconut both?

Katy131 Thu, Apr-29-04 08:27

Hi Folks! :)

I've been taking 3.5 tbs VCO (virgin coconut oil) for 10 days and my temps have gone from a low of 96.2 to a high of 97.5 and all that is post-ovulation. I'm quite hopeful it will help with all my other symptoms of hypothyroid also, but time will tell.

I'm also having trouble including it in my diet. I've been low carbing for three years so I'm no stranger to a high fat diet, but I still find that I can barely stomach dinner five hours after lunch! Trying to eat smaller meals and still making adjustments, tho - any suggestions?

The way I incorporate my VCO is thus: I follow Nourishing Traditions and have a bowl of soaked organic oats (porridge) with my bacon and eggs for breakfast, and found that mixing in 1.5 tbs of VCO in the porridge works. I also add lemon juice, cinnamon, dessicated coconut and Greek Yogurt (but not necessarily all that the same time!) After lunch, I have a cup of coffee with coconut milk, and I melt in 1.5 tbs into that also. That leaves me with about .5 of a tbs left to ingest and I either get that from frying my lunch meat in it or have a hot cocoa with coconut milk, Splenda and VCO in the evening.

It works for me ... just have to figure out how to get my appetite back!! :p

AFwife Thu, Apr-29-04 08:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodmick
Any one using the oil of oregano and the coconut both?

I do! Not always at the same time though.

leborland Thu, May-06-04 18:45

I found another good way to incorporate coconut oil in my diet. I'm not the kind to eat it straight and so I'm always looking for alternatives. One thing I found was to saute mushrooms in VCO. They absorb a lot. Then add them to whatever meat dish you're cooking, or eat them as a side dish. Sometimes I add onions and garlic to the saute for variety, or bell pepper, but mushrooms absorb the most oil. Eggplant will absorb a lot too.

y2valerie Sun, May-09-04 19:46

coconut oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by billw
I have been reading where coconut oil is very helpfull for thyroid support so I bought a jar yesterday. I tried 1 tbs at dinner and my temp went up to 98.4 and stayed there till I went to bed.

This morning my waking temp was 96.7. It has been being 96.3. I took another tbs this morning with my coffee and within 15 minutes my temp was up to 97.6. Usually my temp barely gets up to 97 after an hour of cardio.

My TSH test came back 2.8 a few weeks ago. Doc says nothing is wrong and wont do a T3 or T4 but can't explain my low temps.

I bought the Wilson's Thyroid Syndrome book and am currently reading it and it sure sounds like what is going on with me.

I'll keep trying the coconut oil.

Bill
they say the coconut oil should be coldpressed but i cant seem to get it in canada,also bill my hubby as hypo and he is always cold,but know he takes cla,calcium magnesium and most important kelp he as lost over 40lbs got lots of energy feels better hes 54 and was feeling his age