Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=106)
-   -   13 weeks training for a 10KM walk April 18th (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=159189)

smoothblu Wed, Feb-04-04 15:12

Hello everyone,

Lesson learned do not walk on the road by my house. I’m rather to the end of my wits of taking my life into my hands every time I go for a walk. I live in the country and there are no sidewalks alone side of the roads, just a small strip of gravel and dirt.

The traffic is too dangerous and the drivers are nuts. The logging trucks are the worst. I've been nearly clipped by vehicles and drenched by them driving to fast and spraying me with water. The dogs are mean and don’t mind when you tell them to go away.

I need to either drive up to the school track – or do the walking on a treadmill for now.

Teresa does the treadmill count on this challenge?

Thanks

miezimau Wed, Feb-04-04 15:34

Smoothblu!
I am not walking around my house anymore either.
I go down to the track every other day. Like today after I dropped of my kids to school I went to the track.

Happy to say I got Session 2 in with a whopping 7 miles :)

I don't think I should have a problem doing the 8.15 mile run anymore :)

tlmarshall Wed, Feb-04-04 22:03

Treadmills Count!!

Quote:
Teresa does the treadmill count on this challenge?

Smoothblu - absolutely treadmills count!! Walking on the spot would count!!

First and foremost you need to be safe. Sorry to hear that the people in the neighbourhood just aren't cooperating! I have read from some of the others on the TDC thread that the "walking away the pounds" videos are great for indoor walkers. Do whatever you need to do and stay away from logging trucks and those damn dogs! Are you lucky enough to have a treadmill at home?

I just got in from my walk # 2 for this week - its a cool night here but spectacular with all the stars and the big moon. Hope it stays like this for the rest of the week. :)

tlmarshall Wed, Feb-04-04 22:05

Quote:
Happy to say I got Session 2 in with a whopping 7 miles

miezimau - that is great! So happy to hear that you are feeling good and so close to your goal. Good on you!! :thup: :thup: :thup:

Kelly_L Wed, Feb-04-04 23:44

2 down, 1 to go and it's only Wednesday. Yahoo

smoothblu Thu, Feb-05-04 07:06

Eveyone is doing so great...Way to go!!!!

I don't have a treadmill, but I could get one. I've been kicking the idea around in my head for awhile now. Some type of indoor thing I can do when it's to bad of weather or I don't want to drive all the way into town.

I joined a walk around the mall club yesterday.

It's a program here where they let you into the mall 8 am before it opens for regular customers at 10 and a group of people walk the circle or square<G>.

There are people of all ages and sizes doing it. It allows walkers in out of the bad weather and gives them a place of safety to walk.

miezimau Thu, Feb-05-04 19:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlmarshall
miezimau - that is great! So happy to hear that you are feeling good and so close to your goal. Good on you!! :thup: :thup: :thup:

Oh Thank you Teresa, Even when I am done with my Big event, I will still be checking in until this challange is done :)
You all a great bunch :)
and I wouldn't miss it for anything.

tlmarshall Fri, Feb-06-04 13:42

Smoothblu - sounds like the mall group might be a whole lot safer than trekking on the roads near your home. It could get expensive though with all the window shopping you will be doing! :lol: Better leave the credit cards at home!

miezimau Fri, Feb-06-04 15:42

Ok, I got all my sessions in for this week and may I might add I finished it off today with the 8 mile walk :)
I am soo proud of myself. I was ready to give up at 7 but I kept pushing myself saying only 4 more rounds only 3 only 2 only 1 which completely worked for me :)
Ya'll have a great weekend.

tlmarshall Fri, Feb-06-04 17:00

miezimau - that is really great! I was just sitting here procrastinating on why I didn't need to go out just yet but you have inspired me....THANKS FOR THAT!

miezimau Fri, Feb-06-04 17:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlmarshall
miezimau - that is really great! I was just sitting here procrastinating on why I didn't need to go out just yet but you have inspired me....THANKS FOR THAT!

oh your very welcome Teresa. This is what this is all about right? Giving and recieving support from others.
It was my pleasure!
Have a great weekend.

tlmarshall Sat, Feb-07-04 14:53

Okay - so I am done for the week! Just in time to crank it up a notch tomorrow.

I didn't make it out last night after all as it was just pouring when I went to go out. I knew that wouldn't make me happy. I just got in from 2 walks - one 35 minute and a second 25 minute one. I treated myself inbetween to a lovely breakfast of poached eggs and a nice NY strip steak! I think that was definitely called for..... :agree:

Get ready for Sunday and Week # 4!! :wiggle:

Wynter Sat, Feb-07-04 16:33

Hey folks,

Sorry for not posting for a few days - rough TOM (too much info, I know) and I've been couch-ing it for a few days.

Well I got all of my walks in, and I'm really pleased at how much I'm enjoying the walking. My pace is much brisker and smoother compared to when I started! (I'm a little shocked at how bad a shape I *was* in to begin with to be honest hehe). I even ran 2 blocks to make a bus & wasn't even winded (so would not have been the case before :):)

Sarlye -sorry for the slow reply - I'd love to get together for a walk (and with anyone else in the area) some time! I'm mostly free weekends & evenings... what would work for you?

Quick question for all ... does anyone have any reason NOT to walk in heels? Let me explain :) I wear boots to work (mid-calf, probably 1 1/4, 1 1/2 inch solid chunk heel) and I find it much more comfortable walking in those, than in my hiking boots, or even my runners. Is there any reason I *shouldn't* walk in these? I seem less likely to stumble or turn my heel (probably the extra support of them being boots) and since I always wear heels like that, I'm just as comfortable walking & running in them as in flats. I still wear my runners/hiking boots on weekends, but for weekday walks to or from the bus, I really prefer to just wear the one pair of boots to work & not have to change. I'd love your thoughts, folks.

Wynter

smoothblu Sat, Feb-07-04 20:51

Way to go Teresa. Congrats on another week down.

tlmarshall Sun, Feb-08-04 02:39

WEEK 4 training plan

Week 4

Session 1 – Walk for 45 minutes
Session 2 – Walk for 50 minutes
Session 3 – Walk for 45 minutes

Training Tip – continue with your focus over the past few weeks, and add pushing off actively, rolling from the heel right through and off the end of the big toe.

Seek out Variety - You may be growing tired of walking in your neighbourhood? If you are its time to introduce some variety into your program. Find a different place to walk - go exploring - find a beach, park or countryside to do your workouts. The change of scenery will make you feel invigorated to continue the program and you will likely think of other interesting places to exercise.

Questions for the week
- has there been a change in how you "feel" when you are walking?
- for better or worse?
- what about your energy level?
- breathing?
- muscles?
- how is the warm up & warm down going?
- added any new activities?

Courage is the capacity to move from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm in between - Anonymous