Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Bread & Baked Goods (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=123)
-   -   Bowl Muffins (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=223612)

zajack Sat, Sep-03-05 15:35

Live in Oregon...some people know the store as cash&carry...others as united grocers. I know they're elsewhere because I remember talking to people in the mid west and california about them. It's a restaurant supply house but is open to the public with no membership fees. (gotta love it)

Iowagirl Sat, Sep-03-05 18:08

We have a TPC, I think that is also a cash and carry. I'll look into it. Thanks!

waterwoman Sun, Sep-04-05 09:10

I haven't used the Carbquik, but the bowl muffins work great with the protein powder I use (Designers Whey-natural) - 90 cal. 2 g. carb-I made a mexican flavor one and it was sort of like a tamale - :yum:

Iowagirl Sun, Sep-04-05 09:18

Sounds good! Share the recipe!

IslandGirl Mon, Sep-05-05 12:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by zajack
Live in Oregon...some people know the store as cash&carry...others as united grocers. I know they're elsewhere because I remember talking to people in the mid west and california about them. It's a restaurant supply house but is open to the public with no membership fees. (gotta love it)

• United Grocers
  • Cash & Carry
also known (in some states) as
  • Smart & Final
I have one of their old info sheets here, under the name United Grocers/Cash & Carry, they're in Oregon, California, Idaho and Washington, far as I can tell.

IslandGirl Mon, Sep-05-05 12:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I've been thinking of doing that. I've used probably about half my bottle now, I could carefully weigh it in grams and double the water. But I really hate that bottle it came in the little dropper thing doesn't work well. It doesn't close completely and opening it is very hard. It needs some WD40 on the hinge. Perhaps I can find a new bottle for it. Maybe a pharmacy would have something.

Great Idea! I found a bunch of little dropper bottles (that actually work) in either a pharmacy or a dollar store (years ago:lol: can't remember exactly) for my liquid stevia concoctions, Ms. Nancy :wave:

IslandGirl Mon, Sep-05-05 12:39

from 3-Minute Chocolate Cake to 5-Minute Bundt!

Now, if I remember correctly, somebody referenced the 3-Minute Chocolate Cake at the www.lowcarbfriends.com recipe collection, SOMEWHERE in this fabulous thread.

So, I started messing around with that one, just because. Made some tweaks and mods, increased the volume, and initiated my brand new silicon bundt cake pan in the microwave! Besides, I really had to produce my brother's chocolate birthday cake in a HURRY and got a late start, so there wasn't time for the oven :lol:;):lol: Ended up using a heatproof measuring 2-cupper, a bowl (ok, 2 bowls:o) and the bundt pan...not bad!

So here's the end result, which I served up with bittersweet chocolate shavings on top, fresh strawberries in the 'hole', and whipped cream on the side.

* Exported from MasterCook *

5-Minute Chocolate Cake

Recipe By : Judi IslandGirl, 'Carbers' Kitchen Counter™
Serving Size : 16
Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :
06-10G -- Cakes, Icings & Pies -- Chocolate -- Muffins
-- Veggie Ovo-Lacto

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 cup Wheat Protein Isolate, Carbers' Kitchen
1 cup ground almonds
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
4 pinches salt
1/2 cup Cocoa Poweder, Unsweetened, Dark Euro -- sifted
6 tablespoons Erythritol crystals
3 ounces chocolate chips, Bakers' Semi-Sweet -- 6 tbsp
1 1/2 ounces safflower oil
1 1/2 ounces coconut oil -- or Keto Butta
5 whole large eggs, Born 3
4 teaspoons sweetener, liquid Sugar Twin
3 tablespoons Vanilla Extract, Pure Baker's
1/4 cup Half and Half -- 10% MF Cream

Whisk dry ingredients together in a medium bowl. Melt butter, oil and chocolate chips together (do not boil), stirring til well-blended. Beat eggs, liquid sweetener, vanilla and half-and-half til completly blended, then beat in (drizzling) melted butter/chocolate mixture. Pour egg mixture into a well in the dry mixture, and beat thoroughly til combined.

4-5 minutes in a 1000w microwave, using a silicon bundt pan (knife or toothpick comes out clean).

cool 5 minutes in the pan, then invert onto a rack or heatproof plate.

Source: "original inspiration, GrandmaLee's famous 3-Minute Chocolate Cake on www.lowcarbfriends.com"
Copyright: "© LowCarb FoodExperts Canada ®"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Serving Ideas : whipping cream, fresh strawberries, chocolate shavings

NOTES : 2005-09-02
Whole Recipe: 2650 Calories; 188g Fat (65.1% calories from fat); 106g Protein; 121g Carbohydrate; 29g Dietary Fiber; 852mg Cholesterol; 2426mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 Grain(Starch); 9 Lean Meat; 1/2 Non-Fat Milk; 31 1/2 Fat; 4 Other Carbohydrates.
1/2th Serving: 221 Calories; 16g Fat (65.1% calories from fat); 9g Protein; 10g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 71mg Cholesterol; 202mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 2 1/2 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.
1/16th Serving: 166 Calories; 12g Fat (65.1% calories from fat); 7g Protein; 8g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 53mg Cholesterol; 152mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

ddaniels Mon, Sep-05-05 13:29

Wow! This looks incredible! If you haven't already, you might want to post it as its own recipe instead of in the bowl muffin area, so other people can get a look at this!

In the egg part of the recipe, it says 5 whole eggs. Born 3 What's Born 3?

IslandGirl Mon, Sep-05-05 14:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaniels
Wow! This looks incredible! If you haven't already, you might want to post it as its own recipe instead of in the bowl muffin area, so other people can get a look at this!

In the egg part of the recipe, it says 5 whole eggs. Born 3 What's Born 3?

Oh those are "omega-3 eggs", veggie fed including flaxseed meal and no antibiotics and all that stuff. Local brand, here in Western Canada.

ddaniels Mon, Sep-05-05 15:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandGirl
Oh those are "omega-3 eggs", veggie fed including flaxseed meal and no antibiotics and all that stuff. Local brand, here in Western Canada.

Wow...them's healthy chickens!

PML Tue, Sep-06-05 08:06

Update: Bowl Muffins, recipe and condensed list of variations

Phyllis

Iowagirl Tue, Sep-06-05 08:28

Excellent job, PML - thanks!

ddaniels Tue, Sep-06-05 10:35

Thanks so much for taking the time to do that. It really is helpful to have it condensed like that! :thup:

zajack Tue, Sep-06-05 17:02

Gotta say...I figured..."oh, how could could they be?" Yeah...well I apologize ....with all my heart and soul. These are awesome! :agree: Made one today with carbsense baking mix, one egg, splash of SF syrup and 1tblsp cocoa. It tasted like a chocolate muffing and had 210 calories, 7 total carbs, 5 gr fiber. I'll be having breakfast more often!!!! Thanks again!!!

PML Wed, Sep-07-05 06:28

You are welcome!!! :D

Phyllis

Nancy LC Wed, Sep-07-05 08:36

I just made a Bowl Pancake. :)

1/3 cup Carbquik
1 T Flaxmeal
1 egg
A few drops maple extract and vanilla extract.
SF Maple syrup
A pat of butter
Some water

I took this to work to mix, so I had to use a separate container to carry the egg. I had put the extracts into the container with the egg and shook it like mad to mix it well and breakup the yolk. Then I mixed the egg, with a little extra water, into the carbquik/flax mixture until it was pretty wet.

Then I nuked it for 2 minutes and also nuked the syrup and butter for 20 seconds to warm it. I poured the syrup and butter over the top of my bowl muffin.

Yum!

Nancy LC Thu, Sep-08-05 10:51

I think I'm onto something new: Bowl Biscuit

I tried last night and made a major boo-boo. But I'm going to try again tonight. I'll let you know if I succeed. BTW: My failure was tasty!

zajack Thu, Sep-08-05 11:45

Wow...hadnt even thought of using maple flavors....thanks again!!! ROFL ...cant believe how much I like knowing about this recipe. I cant get the 0 carb baking mix around here anymore though and just ordered a bunch at netrition cause now I'll be using it. (I've had the box I have now for almost 8 months.) :lol:

Nancy LC Fri, Sep-09-05 08:42

Ok! Perfected the Bowl Biscuit last night. Wow! It was just as good as the REAL biscuit I had had a few weeks back.

1/3 cup Carbquik (or other bakemix)
about 1-2 tsp butter
Pinch of salt
1/2 an egg
a bit of buttermilk

Mix the salt and flour.

I cut the butter into small chunks and used my hands to grind the butter and flour together. The goal is to get a little butter coating all the flour.

Put the egg into a small container and shake it so that it is well beaten. Pour half the egg into the flour/butter mixture.

Now add enough buttermilk so that you get something that is a little thicker than a normal bowl muffin. If you get too much liquid, add some more flour. You don't want it to be biscuit thick, like you were forming it into a biscuit and dropping it on a pan, but you also don't want it to be so thin it is too moist.

Microwave for 2 minutes.

Then... take it out of the microwave, pull it out of the bowl, and toast it for a bit in the toaster oven to give it a nice brown crust on the outside. If you've got a toaster you can just split it in half and toast it that way.

Split in half and enjoy!

Pitclerk Fri, Sep-09-05 13:58

Oh Nancy.... thank you SO much for posting the biscuit muffin.... I will try that by tomorrow for sure.... I have been helped tremendously by reading your various posts.... EVERYTHING I have tried has been delicious!!!.... Thanks again dear....

Nancy LC Fri, Sep-09-05 15:40

Glad you are enjoying it! I'm using the other half of the egg in a Bowl Biscuit tonight! And have it with a nice big bowl of spicy low carb chili.

Nancy LC Fri, Sep-09-05 18:27

Another report from the Kitchen Front.

I just made Lemon Curd. Both low carb and low fat and low calorie. Its still cooling so I don't really know if it came out well. But the plan is to smear it on bowl muffins, and low carb yogurt. I'll post the recipe when I've confirmed it is a good recipe. :p

Ok, confirming it tastes GREAT! I just had it on top of a bowl muffin and my mouth is happy. Lemon Curd

If you add the butter, I didn't, it'd probably be even better. Frankly I don't miss it without the butter and I'm watching my calories so I'm happy.

Nancy LC Fri, Sep-09-05 20:37

Just wanted to provide this link. Looks like they have almond flour and I have bought Polydextrose there, which is what I use to make syrups.
http://www.store.honeyvillegrain.co...TS&Category=288

I just ordered oat fiber (0 carbs, all fiber), Polydextrose and Hi-Maize resistant starch from them.

Pitclerk Sat, Sep-10-05 10:32

Am posting this to all my new online LC friends who were kind enough to post in my journal yesterday.... (and thank you for the welcome).... I send out a "Sunshine Update" usually once a week to my email buddies and family.... I will start (as of this morning) posting it in my journal as well.... if you have the time to visit, it may give you a sense of who I am (many people would like to make sense of who I am).... a bit faster than multiple posts.... you won't know half of what I am talking about, but you WILL understand some of my trials and tribulations living with "Poor Ray"..... hope to reach some of you!!

zajack Sun, Sep-11-05 01:09

Wow...just had two incredible ideas. A bisquit bowl-muffin with homemade sausage gravy... :yum: What else? Well...I've never tried this but quite a few people use whipped cream cheese with splenda or sf syrup as a snack. I dont know about that...but it sounds like it would be incredible to have a lemon bowl-muffin with lemon cream cheese frosting...or a chocolate one with sf b52 cream cheese. Dont think I'll be doing it for quite a while...but now that i've thought of it...I know I'll try it at some point! :lol:

BTW...anyone use carbsense zero carb baking mix? That's what I've been using. Just curious.

vmay Sun, Sep-11-05 12:53

hi,
I did 1/3 cup flax meal, 1 egg, a lot of cinnamon (maybe 1 tsp), tiny bit of vanilla, and about 1 tbsp 0 carb maple syrup. (Sorry I don't measure. Just eyeball). Spread with butter. It was very much like those harvest grain pancakes at IHOP.

It was very good and not too sweet. You could top with more syrup.
Valerie

cekayak Thu, Sep-15-05 11:17

bowl muffins thank you

I just found the bowl muffin concept. as opposed to the bowl muffin recipe. lol. I am now your devoted fan, ready to start a Nancy Fan Club. You have saved my life style. Not just my LC lifestyle. Thank you, thank you, thank you for starting this thread.
I did the gingerbread and it was wonderful. I just bought a bottle of sugar free Danish Pastry flavor from DaVinci, Wow did that make a joyful experience for my mouth. Oh yeah.
Maggie

Nancy LC Thu, Sep-15-05 11:35

Woo woo! Sounds like you need some Lemon Curd for on top of that muffin! Although, maybe I shouldn't get you started, you'll end up buying 3 dozen eggs at a time like I am now. :p

lonewolf Fri, Sep-16-05 23:15

Just wanted to chime in how much i LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE bowl muffins! :) I will have to try that bowl biscuit, and i'm REALLY looking forward to trying the "stuffing" bowl muffin that was posted a hwile back. I havne't had a chance yet. However, I'm going to probably mkae turkey tomorrow for dinner with my prarents, and that might be a good time to try it! :)

These make such and excellent breakfast and really keep me going all day thorugh work and the gym before i get home to eat again. I love it. I wish i were as inventive as y'all are. :) I've made a few creations, like the cinnamon toast bowl muffin, but some of these ideas are out of htis world

Iowagirl Sat, Sep-17-05 07:07

I have used Carbquik and Carbsense, Zajack. Both seem to work well.