Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   The Coffee Question (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=61930)

alaskaman Sat, May-31-03 00:45

coffee

I really think Atkins knows (knew) his stuff - but I'm a coffee hound - took it in a thermos to kindergarten, much to the consternation of my teacher. But I have seen NO effect on my blood sugars, get no cravings, etc. EXCEPT from Lattes, etc which have lots of milk and therefore lactose (sugar) But its probably one of those individual things, and I'm sure the good Dr. had a reason for that caution. Those of us who grew up mennonite washing everything down with strong coffee may be ok. Or think we're ok.

Dewdropt Sat, May-31-03 17:44

I'll never have to give up coffee 'cause (Yay for me) I never drank it! Nor have I smoked or drank (much) alcohol. Maybe that's why Atkins is so easy for me, all I've had to give up is sugar and bread.

Annie-Pie Tue, Jun-03-03 11:03

I enjoy a good cup of coffee. We have a coffee mill and grind fresh bean each morning. I have not seen it stall my weight efforts at all. A little whip cream and what a wonderful start to a day, a great way to share conversation with a friend!

I have posted a new thread today about carbs in coffee. Any insights you have would be great!
~Annie-Pie~ :D
:roll: :roll: :spin: :spin: :daze: :daze: :roll: :roll: :roll:

justcindy Wed, Jun-04-03 11:06

Coffee, yes, 3 cups in the morning with heavy cream.
Losing weight despite the coffee? Yes!!!
:)

Coriolis Tue, Jun-10-03 14:55

Quote:
Originally posted by upncomer
I guess I am the exception to the rule - I have been drinking coffee since I was 5 (black - no cream or sugar). Mom thought it was ok and we never drank any pop (soda for everyone else :D ). So, I have grown up on coffee - always regular, never decaf. I can drink a pot of coffee at night and go right to bed - maybe wake up for a pit stop in the middle of the night, but nothing else.

When I started this WOE, I never cut down on my coffee - I still drink a POT in the morning and a POT in the evening. I also will drink 100 oz. of water in between. For some stupid reason, I usually always have a cup of something hot (coffee or tea) as well as a cup of something cold (usually water). I am what you call a two fisted drinker! :cool:

So, guys, don't beat me up - I am losing fine and feel great. I have given up smoking, drinking, and carbs - coffee is all I have left! :daze:

We must have been separated at birth -- you just described me to a T! :)

I didn't start at 5, but I did start drinking coffee at about 11 or 12 years old. For years I was at a two pot per day coffee addict. I could also drink coffee right up to going to bed and sleep fine. Since quiting smoking my coffee consumption seemed to decline to 4-6 per day. However, I have cut back on my coffee while on induction to 1 large coffee in the morning because too much seemed to make me constipated. Actually, I'm still constipated, so perhaps it wasn't the coffee afterall! :yawn:

Bethy B Wed, Jul-09-03 02:20

I've been dipping in and out of Starbucks but changed to a decaf. Can't really go by me though as I've not lost much weight.

newjoy Wed, Jul-09-03 08:06

I don't think that coffee had any impact on my loss or lack thereof. It's really one of the little "indulgences" that has helped me get through the last couple of months. I know that caffiene in general isn't very healthy, :nono: , but I can't live without my morning java!!

Bon Wed, Jul-09-03 10:35

Like most of you, I just couldn't give up my morning coffee. I do not have any other caffeine or spenda drinks throughout the day. During induction, I started drinking it with cream and without sugar.

Now, I use just a few flakes of Splenda in it, but wonder if it is the culprit behind my stall. I'd read somewhere that heavy cream can cause a stall, so I have eliminated the heavy cream and mayo salad dressing I was using to see if I can break the stall. If I don't see results, I guess the splenda will go, too :(

I lost 12 lbs. during induction and do not get cravings, so the coffee stays!

Annie-Pie Wed, Jul-09-03 10:39

Hey Bon,
Would you mind please letting me know how you do without Mayo and Whip Cream? I use whip cream every day in my coffee and keep in as part of my 20g daily limit. I also use mayo for my albacore tuna.

I'm wondering what is causing this 2-week stall as well. But I know we need the fat to burn the fat. Please keep in touch, ok?

Thanks, Annie-Pie :thup:

saffron28 Wed, Jul-09-03 10:57

I am so glad that I am not the only one who could not, or would not give up my pleasure in coffee. I too have been raised on the stuff, and it is one of my greatest pleasures. Thank you for the wonderful thread, and the poll.

LadyBelle Wed, Jul-09-03 11:14

If I want coffee I usuly have decaf or 1/2 & 1/2. The past few days though I've been drinking full strength for moving energy, plus to finish off the can. I don't think it stalls me or causes cravings. I put DiVincci syrup and coconut milk in mine.

Annie-Pie Wed, Jul-09-03 11:17

Yummy idea!

Good morning LadyBelle!

Would you mind please telling me about coconut milk? Is it the stuff in the cans in the baking aisle? Sounds awesome w/the sf syrups!

Thanks! :)

LadyBelle Wed, Jul-09-03 11:34

Yes, I get the cans in the ethnic isle. I hear some can get it from frozen sections cheaper, but I've never found it. It does have some carbs, but not to bad if you just use a tablespoon or so. It tastes great, and most important to me, no lactose :)

Some peopel also swear coconut products like milk and oil help in weight loss, but I don't know. I just use it because I really like the taste :)

Annie-Pie Wed, Jul-09-03 11:37

Thanks, LadyBelle! Now that I think of it, it's the Asian aisle where I"ve seen it. Think I'll try it, need new ideas!
Always enjoy reading your inputs...and you've got cute kids, too!
Annie

Bon Thu, Jul-10-03 05:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Pie
Hey Bon,
Would you mind please letting me know how you do without Mayo and Whip Cream? I use whip cream every day in my coffee and keep in as part of my 20g daily limit. I also use mayo for my albacore tuna.

I'm wondering what is causing this 2-week stall as well. But I know we need the fat to burn the fat. Please keep in touch, ok?

Thanks, Annie-Pie :thup:

Hi Annie-Pie,

Sorry, I wasn't entirely clear in my post... I'm not doing without mayo (who can on this diet, lol), just the heavy cream. About 3 weeks into the WOE, I began to make that yummy creamy italian dressing in the DANDR book. I began my stall shortly after. So, I've decided to begin cutting certain foods to see if they're the culprit. I have reduced my cheese intake to just shredded amounts on my lunch salad and instead of drowning it with that yummy dressing, I just plop some tuna or chicken salad on top of it. The only type of cream I'm having is a small amount of 1/2 and 1/2 in my two cups of fresh ground coffee in the a.m.

I'm hoping this will jump-start my weight loss again, since I read somewhere here that some dairy may cause stalls. Hoping the scale has moved when I weigh myself this weekend. Crossing my fingers, because the next thing to go will be the splenda in my coffee :cry: