Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   LC Research/Media (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Liverpool set to ban McDonald's Happy Meals in a bid to cut childhood obesity (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=365492)

frankly Tue, Feb-26-08 17:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverwhere
Read again, Frankly. I did not say YOU or anyone else HERE was acting like Nazis.

Quote:
But why are you all acting like they are Nazi's for advertising food to children?

Doh! You got me there, but it's still a variant of Godwin's law, saying that we are acting like they are Nazis... I think.

Oh well, thank you for not calling us Nazis, sorry for the misquote.

neverwhere Tue, Feb-26-08 17:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankly
Doh! You got me there, but it's still a variant of Godwin's law, saying that we are acting like they are Nazis... I think.

Oh well, thank you for not calling us Nazis, sorry for the misquote.

It's ok :)

We might disagree on some things, but I dont bear any ill will against you guys. I wouldnt call you such a bad name. :rheart:

kyrasdad Tue, Feb-26-08 18:06

The theme we see is, "it won't change anything, so don't do it." Or that somehow, by regulating advertising aimed at children, you somehow "limit" people's choices. Neither is addressing the actual argument. then there is the "parents need to grow a spine" school of thought, that says we should allow all marketing of any kind to children because it's up to parents to limit the damage.

Have I missed any of these arguments?

Personal responsibility: parents, raise your kids.
Corporate responsibility: parents, raise your kids.

Oddly different standards. Those seem to be the lines of thought, such as it is.

Calianna Tue, Feb-26-08 19:50

This is probably neither here nor there, but I recall as my kids got too big for happy meals, the burger, fries and small drink could be bought at a "special price" by ordering an "All American meal". Now that might not be what they'd call it in Liverpool ;)... but really, it's the exact same meal, and even though they don't even advertise the All American Meal, it's the exact same food in that's in the happy meal.

joedoro Tue, Feb-26-08 21:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginaW
Find yourself a local farmer and order in bulk (split quarter or half) -- we do that and pay $3.85 a pound cut weight which includes everything from ground beef to filet mignon to everything in between and soup bones too! (grass-fed, 100% pastured, organic too)

That's the problem - if when I lived in New York City someone suggested that we buy half a cow, people would have thought they were nuts. Where would we put it? Even here in Des Moines, the hassel of finding someone to share a cow, then storing it, and with our power constantly going out due to spring and summer storms, and this year the ice storms, there's now way I could keep alot of food in a freezer here, And then trying to figure out when it would be available, make it not worth the effort. So we pay more the convenience. Which is my point. Getting grass fed beef in a similar manner that we get grain fed beef is going to be quite expensive and I can't see americans doing it.

Felicie Tue, Apr-08-08 04:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrasdad
Actually, I think legislation could make a difference, but not legislation of the kind people bannter about -- closing McDonald's that are in proximity to schools and the like. That's useless.

Legislation that I could see as useful:
  1. Revamp farm subsidies that artificially reduce the price of grains. The entire subsidies mess is one of the primary root causes in my opinion.
  2. Force changes in dietary recommendations that clearly are not working.
  3. Require better labeling of nutritional content in stores and restaurants
  4. Remove all nutritional based marketing. Give us clear, concise, accurate nurtitional values, but don't allow claims of low-carb, low-fat, lite, whole-grain, organic or whatever. It's all gone. Right now, you can put a 'healthy' sheen on Fruit Loops by claiming they are trans fat free, organic and whole grain. Ridiculous. No way to fix that system - just junk it.
  5. Treat sugar, when marketed to children, the same as you treat tobacco. No cartoon characters. No television commercials. Just more or less disallow food marketing aimed at anyone younger than 18.
  6. Pay for physical education in schools. Require and pay for nutritional information. (I know, right now they'd teach the wrong lessons, but point 2 would hopefully help with that. At the very least, both viewpoints could be required).
Now, I wouldn't expect most of these to ever happen. Big Food is very happy with the current situation.

Oh, boy. Just stumbled upon this post. Sorry for chiming in so late. This is really wise, in my opinion. I couldn't agree more with what you said.

daisyboo Tue, Apr-08-08 05:56

When my son was 8 he used to go out with the little boy round the corner who is the same age as him. They often ended up at macdonalds (with his mum), my son ate a chicken sandwich value meal (he NEVER orders anything different!) and his 8yr old friend ordered TWO extra value deluxe cheeseburger meals. Alex would come home and go off to karate/swimming/cycling or somesuch, his friend would come home and get on his playstation. I don't think the toys had anything to do with either of their choices however Alex knew fine well i'd have ripped into him if he'd ordered TWO meals!