Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=106)
-   -   TDC Fitness Challenge (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=125288)

DusterCat Thu, Aug-28-03 17:27

Monica: I got on here to post and found yours of this morning; I only have a few minutes to type what amounts to a small bible so can't do yours justice, but almost choked on my water laughing at the phrase "accidentally catch fire from the friction" God I remember the pain. When I started wearing hose THEY DIDN'T HAVE THE PANTY KIND!! Think about that. It was horrible.

on Obsession: Oh boy, what an interesting topic! I think obsession makes the world go 'round. Most everything of any worth has been accomplished by people who are "obsessed." And people are happiest when they are obsessed! -- and by that I mean intensely involved with what they are doing. So involved that they lose themselves for a little while, or even for a long while. I wish everyone could know that kind of happiness.

BUT (and herein lies the rub for us TDC folks) weight loss can't be an obsession. By nature an obsession is all-consuming, and usually temporary. You can study Attic Greek intensively for six months and then stop and no harm done! - you know a little Greek. You can be obsessed with your work for 30 years (and if you are I will say you are a lucky person); retirement may be difficult but again, no harm done, and you probably made a real difference.

Weight loss can't be dealt with this way. This is hard to accept for those of us who are perfectionistic and somewhat driven. I'm talking to myself right now; this is something I am still trying to get on top of. A lifetime of too little exercise and too much of the wrong kinds of food is ostensibly my problem; my learned response is to tackle the problem, solve it, and move on. But as Mr. Rolfe would probably ask, "What caused the problem in the first place?" And that's it, of course. I not only have to lose weight, I have to CHANGE. I am fortunate in that no health condition caused my problem -- I did that myself. I have to recognize situations and feelings that led me too eat too much and learn to react differently. This has to be a studied, life-long behavioral change. Some say "People can't change." I don't believe that.

But that's not to say it's bad to "push" - only if your health permits, and only if you really want to! Monica, I think I know how you felt when you skipped your walk last Friday; when I skipped my exercise I felt anxious too, partly thinking "Am I serious about this or not?" and partly thinking "!~&*!! I'm going to have to admit to the TDCers that I skipped another day."

on Dr. Phil: I had to chuckle when I read about the women who lost a lot of weight and then turned mean. No, I know it's not funny. But I have to wonder if these women were mean all along but lacked the self-confidence to show it (you know, the "jolly fat man" stereotype) or maybe they had unmet expectations of ways that their lives would change following their weight loss. I didn't see the show so I probably shouldn't comment.

I'll agree that approaching anything "with an iron grip discipline that allows no room for variation" is a bad idea. I haven't gotten the sense that any of us here are doing that. We're all trying to make changes and that's not easy! A little vigilance may be necessary.

on Exercise Music: Wow, I'm glad this came up. I need some help in this area! I listened to the Beatles in high school, then a whole bunch of stuff in college, but when I started working I fell out of the popular music loop. I've had my car radio set to a classical station for ages!! At some point U2 got through to me briefly, but not much else. I love Meat Loaf but I don't want to "wear out" my favorite music by exercising to it every day. Recently I checked out AC/DC's Back in Black from the library but couldn't stand the lead singer's voice. Today, on Monica's recommendation, I checked out Phish's Lawn Boy but haven't listened to it yet. I couldn't remember the name of the other group so will have to go back for that. Anyway, I'm open to (and welcome) any suggestions!

AntiM Fri, Aug-29-03 12:55

Here We Go Again!

Onto Week Six …

Goals
Review last week’s goal. How did you do? Make a new one, or recommit to your previous goal for this week!

Rewards
What goodie are you going to reward yourself with this time?

Body Image Exercise: Chest
We’ve been all over the map, as the saying goes, sometimes focusing on appearances, sometimes on function of a body area. This, of course, being a reflection of the disorganized mind creating the exercises!

However, if you’re doing them like me, you are now familiar with the ‘seeing and feeling’ approach. These turn out to be important skills this week. (I’d use more senses, but I just wasn’t all that comfortable tasting or smelling each area, let alone encouraging my Fellow Challengers to do the same!)

Pick a time when you’ll have at 5-10 uninterrupted minutes. Use a mirror where you can see yourself from the waist up, the shoulders down and side-to-side. What do you see? How has this part of your body changed over the course time or during your weight loss?

Flex the muscles of your chest. Can you see the difference between flexed and relaxed? Take a deep breath in and watch your rib cage expand. Are you shoulders rising when you do this? If so, try this again, let your belly fully expand and keep the shoulders in place. Breathing this way will use your lungs to their greatest advantage.

Put your hand over your heart. Did you place your hand on the left side of your chest? Most people do. It tips to the left, but it’s actually located in the center, between your lungs. Can you feel its rhythm? Even at rest, a human heart works hard … twice as hard as the leg muscles of a person sprinting. (Statistic from PBS) Think of everything it does, everything it represents.

We can’t address the chest area without also talking about the mammary glands. Everyone’s got them, men and women alike, although we tend to think of them as a ‘girls only’ feature. Since they are made primarily from fat, we plus size people tend to have large ones.

Has the texture of your skin or breast tissue changed? It’s common to notice that your breasts become ’droopy’ after losing weight. (Of course, this will happen to us all, as time marches on.) If this is true for you now, how do you feel about the change?

Did you know that everyone stores and makes estrogen in their fat cells? That means that as we shrink those cells, additional estrogen enters your blood stream.

Estrogen is vitally important in strengthening bones and for brain function, but extra estrogen can lead to an increased risk of cancer (Cornell University Fact Sheet On Estrogen And Breast Cancer Risk). While far more women get this form of cancer, over 2,000 men in the US are diagnosed each year. (ACS 2002)

Recently, the American Cancer Society has revised it’s recommendations for monthly Self Breast Exams (SBE). They state:

“Research has shown that BSE plays a small role in detecting breast cancer compared with self awareness. However, doing BSE is one way for wo/men to know how their breasts normally feel and to notice any changes.”

How To Do A Breast Self Exam
Click on the BSE link on the right side of this page, and don’t miss the ‘Variations‘ option for large size breasts.

Knowing what your breasts feel like is vitally important to early detection. You don’t have to do anything official, just know what is normal for you. Look and feel, at least once a month, and if you notice anything unusual, talk to your health care provider.

Homework
Pay attention to your chest this week. Think about taking your pulse at different times of the day and notice your heart rate. Remember to occasionally expand your chest fully when you breathe, keeping the shoulders relaxed. Find things to like about your chest. Find beauty in its form and function. If negative thoughts arise, replace them with complements.

Affirmation Of The Week
It is often easier to know what to do than to do it. Today I will do those things that strengthen my body and keep it healthy.

hatetocook Sat, Aug-30-03 07:19

Hi TDC Challengers!!

Got home from vacation late last Friday, celebrated DD2's birthday the next day, got 2 out of 3 kids back to school 2 days after that & have been a zombie for the last 3 days!

Now I'm rarin' to get back into things & have the following goals for this coming week...

1. We no longer have one of our newspaper routes so I'm only walking & delivering papers on weekends. Had problems last week with coming up with something to replace that 'forced' exercise. So I will pledge to walk at least 30 minutes on Sunday, Tuesday & Thursday. On Saturday, Monday, Wednesday & Friday (my regular gym days), I will attempt 20 minutes on the cross trainer after my strength workout.

2. Continue to stretch after all workouts. I've been much better about doing this lately, but need to reinforce it.

3. Get back into the habit of 3-4 litres/quarts of water per day. Was not doing it while on vacation because the water in our hotel was NASTY. I should have packed my Brita pitcher!!

4. Do Technogym machines workout on days listed above.

It's hard to believe that our original challenge is almost over! Have you decided whether or not to continue Monika? You've done such a great job for us but I certainly understand if you can't do it again. I'm not sure what area of our body we're working on but I'm definately going back to the belly/hips stuff I missed out on while on vacation. This has always been my weak spot.

I also want to thank those of you who have weighed in (no pun intended) on the mirror/body image front. I'm one of those who literally does not look in the mirror except when I'm brushing my hair & teeth in the morning. And that's only a medicine cabinet mirror. I've decided that I will buy a full length mirror this week after payday. As much as it pains me, I have to start looking at my body. I hope to feel the same sense of empowerment that I did when I started weighing daily at the beginning of this WOE. Hey! I just had an idea! Maybe I can put the scale in front of the mirror so I can get all the awful stuff over at the same time!! I guess that's sorta defeating the purpose now that I think about it....

If anyone's made it this far in this post, I did want to comment on 10 minute exercise thing...

I'm no expert but in my experience but this doesn't seem to be the best idea for people in our situation. Warm ups and cool downs are especially important for those of us with extra weight and/or mobility issues. I'm not sure you can incorporate that with this method. Much better I think is what Mary is doing with her 'bursts' of high intensity during her cardio. Of course, there's nothing wrong with starting with 10 minute periods if that's all you can do at the time and you still have your warm up & cool down. But I think they're advocating it as a regular routine & I haven't seen much research to support that- especially for people who have alot of weight to lose.

Just my 2 cents & worth only a penny....

AntiM Sun, Aug-31-03 20:28

Monika Checking In!

Missed morning walk one day last week, but did a second walk on five days. Feeling a little better, but it’s that TOM and I’m eating way too many LC Chocolate Haystacks (a homemade ‘refrigerator’ cookie). Another yummy item that has to go on my ‘occasional use’ file because I can’t just eat one every few days. I’m moving up a level on the resistance bands because it’s getting easier and I want to do a ‘slow burn’ approach as best I can.

My Exercise Goals For Week Six

* 15 minute walk, every morning - stretching well before and after
* At least three evening walks on days with good mobility
* Resistance band workout for upper body, 3 times this week

Other Goals for Week Six

* One gallon of water per day

Reward
Still saving my pennies for the Walk Away The Pounds DVD … but I did end up getting some cheapy nail polish and now have rosy, sparkly toes!

AntiM Sun, Aug-31-03 20:40

Howdy Challengers!

Hi Echo ~ Congratulations on the ‘roll reduction’! LOL Not to mention fitting well into the non-stretchable pants! They’re such a good indicator of size, aren’t they? Most of my pants are loose, flowing rayon prints with elastic band waists, they’ll do me for a long time, yet. But there isn’t anything like an old fashion pair of jeans to let you know how your body is changing. It’s great to hear you are liking your body more and more these days!! I hope you’re giving your good husband a peak every once in while again!

DusterCat, are you talking about stockings are garters, or did I miss a step in Hose History? In the early ‘80’s I bought a set, because, you know, they’re so sexy. I remember thigh fat oozing over the top of the tourniquet tight stocking, not the mention the blister-like chaffing. Real sexy.
:lol:

We should have guessed what your take on obsession would be given your signature quote! I love the type you describe in your post, the kind of obsession that pulls you towards your fascination; makes you jump out bed because you can’t wait to get to it.

I agree, obsession isn’t healthy for weight loss. Like you said, that magical state isn’t permanent, it’s not usually even long lasting. But maybe part of making the ‘course correction’ to change our lives is fueled by some of that energy in the beginning? But you need some idea where you’re going and how you can get there under your own steam because those turbo jets of obsession will eventually burn out.

I’m so introspective, I’m always looking closely at my beliefs and feelings, seeing if my actions reflect them. I’d like to find a middle ground between ‘iron grip’ and letting go when it comes to exercise, because I know the habits I’m creating now will affect how I look at this process for a long time to come. I appreciate your thoughts about all this because I, too, believe people can change!

Actually, the Dr. Phil show was sad. I wish it had been funny, but these ‘perfectly nice’ women really did change for the worse according to their loved ones. One woman had Gastric Bypass when she was ~250-ish, and became evangelical about the procedure, commenting on everyone else’s weight in a waspish way. The ‘no-longer-at-the-bottom-of-the-totem-pole-so-I’ll-attack-whoever-is’ syndrome.

The other poor women was just cranky from lack of food, in my opinion. She lost a lot of weight ‘the old fashioned way’ - very little calories and lots of exercise. I think she was just plain mad at the world because she was hungry.

I’ve been thinking and thinking about music recommendations for you; it sounds like you’ve got eclectic taste. Indigo Girls has been my favorite band since 1990. I love guitars, two part harmony, and great lyrics to folk-rock music. My friend calls this type of music ‘Granola Coffeerock‘. Most of their stuff is not cardio appropriate, but some songs rock along nicely. Click here to hear samples of their music. (2nd CD down, Retrospective, #13 for ‘Go’)

How about Dave Mathews Band, Sheryl Crow, Sting, Peter Gabriel or Paul Simon (all those African rhythms?); these guys may not be rocky enough for you, but it’s all I can come up, with my Starbuck’s taste. I think Amazon.com has music files that give a short sample. BTW, U2’s Mysterious Ways is going on my CD!

Hiya hatetocook! Welcome home and whew! Sounds like you had your hands full with vacation, your daughter’s birthday and back to school!

Your energy is infectious! Maybe it’s the combo of active family life and 3 day zombie-hood; sort of like a really tough weight workout and two days off? I love that you’re ‘rearing to go’!

I think it’s great that you’re going for the full length mirror … but be gentle with yourself if at first you’re not driven to ripping off your clothes and parading your bare belly joyfully in front of it. That might take a few weeks if you’ve just seen your teeth and hair for a while! LOL At the very least, over time you’ll be inspired by your body changing as it gets smaller and more buff! And if the scale is still empowering you, why not put your mirror in near it?

You’re right that if you expect to get a decent warm up, exercise session and cool down, you’ll need more than 10 minutes. I’m very interested in the Sparks idea because I’m having a hard time getting past 15 minutes at one time. I have had more luck walking twice every other day and doing resistance bands on my one-walk days. If I added more very low-impact exercise , I’d get more activity in each day. Since I’m as creaky as an old hinge, I figure whatever I do, I’ve got to stretch before and after (including taking in a large load of laundry off the clothes line!). I’ll let you know if there’s any backing research when I get the book from the library.

I know I want to continuing exercising now that it’s become a big part of my reclaiming health journey. It is kindof weird that the Challenge is almost over, isn’t it? It has inspired me to keep going when I’ve been close to slacking off. I’m willing to do another, if people want to. Maybe we could do something different than body image next time? Like Dr. Phil (my favorite TV guru, who sometimes really bugs me, too, BTW) has a series of question about clarifying the weight loss journey, but not all of them apply to where we are in this WOE. I’m open to anything, including just doing weekly check-ins on how activity is going. I’m also happy to let the thread go and just keep up in journals if it’s just a few of us who wish to continue.

What do we all think? Let’s post about what we’d like to do next!

Marebear Mon, Sep-01-03 13:18

Hi Challenge Buddies :wave:

I am doing OK here, with a little short glitch in the program. I am such a clutz, on Friday going to work I slipped of some steps and fell over a wooden railing (and broke it) onto the garage floor. What a sight I'm sure!! :rolleyes: Luckily I didn't impale myself or break any bones, but I ended up sore, bruised, and with stiff knees again. I took Sat. off from exercising and just rested, and I did manage to do my 20 minutes of cardio yesterday, but my knee pain kept me from doing it at too high of an intensity. I am just now going to try my lower body workout and hope that I can make it through.

My thoughts as I lay on the garage floor assessing the damage were "this can't be happening to me, I'm in a challenge!!" LOL

I did good on my goals for last week, but could work more on my visualizations. I'll continue that for this week too.

As a breast cancer survivor I think it is important for everyone to have good breast health and know how to examine themselves and get mammograms when they are over 40. If caught early it is very treatable. With all the weight training I'm doing I have really noticed my chest muscles tightening up. Maybe someday I'll have collarbones again :p

Have a great week!
Mary

tlmarshall Mon, Sep-01-03 22:45

Marebear - were you making an entrance or just leaving? WOW - either way it was a good one!! :daze:

Seriously though, very glad you weren't seriously hurt!!!! Someone was watching over you.... :angel:

MisterE Tue, Sep-02-03 11:55

Well, I have been a good boy as far as exercise. I am as faithful to that as to my way of eating and both are as important to me as you all know. I am regaining the ability to walk rapidly. I did a full mile (2/3's downhill) Sunday. That is something I have not been able to do in many years.
I will easily and happily continue this for the rest of my life! As it is thru this that I am given a much improved life.

AntiM Fri, Sep-05-03 06:03

Cruisin' Along Challenger!

Onto Week Seven …

Goals
Review last week’s goal. How did you do? Make a new one, or recommit to your previous goal for this week!

Rewards
What incentive are you shooting for this time? Tell us when you enjoy a reward!

Body Image Exercise: Head
There was a thread in the TDC a few months ago where the poster referred to not recognizing themselves in the mirror. We expect weight loss to be reflected in our waistlines, it’s more surprising when it shows in your face. Yeah, it’s great when our double chins shrink, but it can be confusing. Barring injury or illness, changes in our face usually happen very slowly; weight loss is an exception.

Our identity is portrayed in our facial features. It tells the world who we are. It communicates our feelings, even those we would rather conceal. When we change such an essential part of our body, it takes some getting used to.

We ’see’ ourselves everyday as we brush our hair and teeth. But have you really looked at yourself lately? Spend five to ten minutes when you can be alone and look at your head and neck in a mirror. Consider using a hand held one, too, so you can see yourself from above, below and on each side.

Check out your …
~ eyes ~ nose ~ mouth ~ hair ~ skin ~ throat ~

Have you changed since the last time you really saw yourself? What looks different? How does a smile or frown change your face? Try all kinds of expressions. When you relax your face, what emotion do you project? Are you tending to your grooming in a pleasing way?

Do you pamper this most essential body part? Try …
Facial Massage and Acupressure Exercises
Do-It-Yourself Ayurvedic Head Massage

"There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so." Shakespeare

The head’s most beautiful feature is its brain. Our attitudes about how we appear communicate strongly to the outside world. It’s our body image that causes us to choose clothes that either flatter or hide, to walk with confidence or shrink into the background.

We’ve been reacquainting ourselves with how we look and feel right now. We are building a personal portrait of our bodies in process. Each week we practice replacing negative thoughts with more constructive ones, but now it’s time for an attitude check.

“Body image is the picture a person has of her body, what it looks like to her and what she thinks it looks like to others. This can be accurate or inaccurate and is often subject to change. … Both body image and self-esteem are perceptions that are actually independent of physical realities. Improving body image involves changing the way one thinks about one's body rather than undergoing physical change (Freedman, 1990). To improve body image and therefore improve self esteem, it is important for women to learn to like themselves and to take care of themselves through healthy lifestyle choices that do not emphasize weight loss as the only measure of good health.” Rhonda Zabrodski BSc, MSW, RSW (my emphasis)

Excellent Article! Better Your Body Image, Bridget Kelly

You Are What You Think, Linda-Ann Stewart

You Are What You Think You Are, Rhoberta Shaler, PhD

How are you thinking about your body? Are you telling yourself that you are attractive? Able-bodied? Healthy? Or are your thoughts more critical? Is there a part of you that feels you’ll only be comfortable with your body when you reach a certain number on the scale? Maybe it’s all chatter that you don’t pay much attention to?

Homework
“To change your attitude you must change the inner dialogue. To change the dialogue you must catch it in action. To do this you have to pay attention to yourself. You must engage in self-observation and listen for that inner voice.” Dan Johnston PhD

This week, focus on what your brain is telling your body. If you catch a negative thought, turn that mental frown upside down. Compliment yourself often. Accept praise from others gracefully; a simple ‘thank you’ is the only response you need. Decide that you are worthy of a having a vibrant self image.

Affirmation Of The Week
All that we are is a result of what we have thought.

AntiM Fri, Sep-05-03 06:57

Mary ~ Surviving cancer is a big deal. I’m so glad you’re here with us!

I’m sorry to hear about your fall. Ouch - landing on concrete, never good. But it sounds like it could really have been much worse (maybe all those new muscles cushioned your joints from impact?). Amazing that you ended up just stiff and sore!! You were such a smart girl to take Saturday off and lower your intensity until fully healed … You know how I feel by now: Pushing yourself too much when injured just leads to a longer recovery. Even if you’d ended up in traction, you’d still be a Star Challenger. (You’re the kind of woman who would rig weights on your pulleys, doing those BFL high intensity burst while recovering from RIS (Railing Impaled Syndrome). LOL

MisterE ~ It’s great to hear your walking has come so far. I’ve used your progress as an example to many people - you are an inspiration!

Marebear Sat, Sep-06-03 06:55

This week has gone well and I'm right back in with my workouts. Both knees and legs are still sore, and walking or standing for very long hurts too. I know it will get better. I just hate backsliding when I was making such good progress forward with them. It just reinforces that I need to be patient with myself and my body.

Teresa - thanks, I felt very fortunate too not to be hurt worse, and I was so happy the neighbors didn't see that LOL!!

MisterE - way to go on the mile and the rapid walking!!

Monika - thanks for your kind words too :) I really think the damage was less because I had been working out, and certainly my mental attitude was better.

Workouts will be the same this week - 3 days cardio and 3 days weight training. I need to start looking into different exercises for my weight training to shock my muscles again. I work out at home so my choices are limited, but I hope I can come up with ones that will work. I also need to drink more water - I have been slacking off a little. That head massage sounds interesting too, I think I'll try it this weekend. Thanks for all the info Monika :)

Have a great Week 7!
Mary

hatetocook Sat, Sep-06-03 08:50

Week seven: I'm going to keep my goals the same this week since I didn't even come close to meeting them last week. Forgot about holiday last Monday & had TOM surprise me a week early. I only got to gym 2 days & only walked 2 days. Did buy a mirror as planned though-- but it's still in the trunk of my car...

Hope others had a better week!

AntiM Sun, Sep-07-03 04:27

Checking In!

Walking is going well! My plan to walk twice daily has made a difference in my endurance … in other words, for the last few days; I’ve finally pushed my 15 minute limit to over 20! Yippee! I notice that if I try to walk twice each day, I tire out my joints too much. Right now, it works to take that second walk every other day.

Drinking enough water has been harder lately, so I’ve decided to track my intake in my journal every day. I’m keeping my goal at 1 gallon because I really want to take in at least that much pure water.

My Exercise Goals For Week Seven

* 20 minute walk, every morning - stretching well before and after
* At least three evening walks on days with good mobility
* Resistance band workout for upper body, 3 times this week

Other Goals for Week Seven

* One gallon of water per day

tlmarshall Sun, Sep-07-03 14:48

things are going well for me...although I have been suspiciously absent from the forum I have been trying to keep up my end of the bargain.

I am lucky enough to have a pool at my place (and its heated!!) so I have been taking advantage of early morning swims. Nothing too extreme but enough to get my heart up a few beats. I have increased from 8 lengths to 12 this week. I think it helps clear my head as well. Yesterday I tossed in a bit of running across the width of the pool - definitely something that would be a struggle on dry land.

I just caught up my reading - congrats to everyone who is committed to our little challenge. It's been fun so far.

BTW - I am leaving for a little holiday to Australia and New Zealand on September 22nd....I won't be back until November so I won't be around for a few weeks but am committed to keeping my body moving!

DusterCat Sun, Sep-07-03 17:13

reporting in at start of Week 7

Monica, thanks for your good wishes. My friend got out of the hospital Thursday and he is doing fine. Where would we be without people who knew us back when we were even worse idiots than we are now?

Mary, I'm glad you are bouncing back after your scary fall, and really glad you weren't badly hurt.

I'm doing ok. Since last posting here I missed some exercise but not much, and survived both my birthday and a local food-and-drink-oriented festival without eating too much, or anything bad. It does help to think about it first, before going. I have the hardest time keeping from messing up when I am "surprised" by food.

My goals for this week will be the same as before: 30 min. of exercise per day. I've been thinking about body image and self-esteem and tummies in odd moments, which fits in with this week's "head" homework; if I'm able to articulate anything remotely coherent I'll post it.

I requested "The Spark" from the library. This may be along the lines of "8 Minutes in the Morning for Real Shapes, Real Sizes" by Jorge Cruise, which I checked out but haven't yet opened the cover. Hatetocook's point about warming up and cooling down is a good one, though. And I thought the common wisdom (i.e. I don't know where I read this) was that you needed to get your heart rate up to a certain point and keep it there for at least 20 minutes to get a metabolic boost. But maybe there's new information in these books.

I for one would love this Challenge to continue, if you are still willing to be our fearless leader, Monica. I think you are really good at this sort of thing (and I'm not just saying that to get you to continue :lol: )