Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Specific Exercise Plans (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Planks, Pushups, and Power (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=473865)

MickiSue Wed, Jun-29-16 17:19

After the Monday post gardening debacle, last night I was back to 60 seconds/rest/26 seconds.

I'm finding that if I count my breaths, rather than looking at the timer, it seems to go faster.

About 12 breaths for a minute, and silly as it feels, counting to 12 is way more psychologically comfortable than counting to 60!

bkloots Thu, Jun-30-16 08:34

Quote:
I'm finding that if I count my breaths, rather than looking at the timer, it seems to go faster.
I agree! Usually I find myself counting--although exactly what I'm counting, I have no idea! :lol:

MickiSue Thu, Jun-30-16 09:14

Counting is something I've always done. I think, sometimes, maybe I'm a bit on the autism spectrum, as I have these weird habits.

Counting ceiling tiles, when waiting for an appointment. Saying the alphabet backwards, as fast as I can, or counting backwards from 50. I have never been able to get into a meditation by just sitting, so I count breaths.

Anyway. Last night, I hadn't done my planks, and Husband was already in bed. So I sucked it up, brushed my teeth, put on my nightgown and got down on the floor with my phone's timer. 57/rest/25.

Not my best effort, but it was AN effort.

Mousesmom Thu, Jun-30-16 11:18

I'm a little late to the game but I'm here now. :wave:

I've been telling myself for quite a while that it's time to get more strength exercises in my life. I wear a Fitbit and walk about 11-12,000 steps a day on weekdays and 13-15,000 on weekends.

This was day 2 of 60 second toe and forearm planks and 30 seconds each forearm and feet side planks. I followed these with 10 on the knees push ups, 30 seconds of downward facing dog and 30 seconds of child's pose.

My arms were burning after!!! :lol:

bkloots Thu, Jun-30-16 12:31

Welcome, Julie! We feel the burn! I like your series.

Mousesmom Thu, Jun-30-16 12:42

Thanks Barb, I'm hoping by actually joining a challenge that I will make this a new habit.

MickiSue Thu, Jun-30-16 17:33

HOLY cow, Julie. That's really a work out!

Just Jo Fri, Jul-01-16 06:16

:wave: Welcome Julie!

Last evening I did my front plank (forearms/toes) = 1 min, 20s rest and 1 min

Will continue this process to see how long I can hold each time ~ next Plankin' day is tomorrow, Saturday!

My ultimate goal is to do 3 min front/forward planks. And I've attached no timetable for it ~ just progress until I can do it!! :agree:

Happy Planking, Peeps!

MickiSue Fri, Jul-01-16 07:35

See, Jo! You've already passed me up!

Last night was better: 60/rest/30.

Counting breaths really makes me aware of how ragged those breaths are. Time to work on the quiet intensity that makes the workout flow better. It's hard to imagine that I can do three minutes, sounding like I just ran a marathon.

Just Jo Fri, Jul-01-16 07:59

Hey MS, this is not a challenge/contest or anything... remember we aren't competing against anyone but ourselves, girlie! :agree:

Anyone else get a little shaky, straining to hold on to the plank towards the end of it??

Liz53 Fri, Jul-01-16 10:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Jo

Anyone else get a little shaky, straining to hold on to the plank towards the end of it??

Of course! That's when we really activate the core to stabilize us and keeping us from going S P L A T !!!

Hope to be back later today with a Plank Report.

Welcome, Julie!

Mousesmom Fri, Jul-01-16 10:38

Thanks all for the kind welcome.

Day 3 complete. I aspire to do a 2 minute plank...... one day.
Go Plank People!

MickiSue Fri, Jul-01-16 15:12

Jo--a friend of mine says "Self to self for progress, self to others for inspiration." You are inspiring me. Thank you.

Just Jo Fri, Jul-01-16 15:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickiSue
Jo--a friend of mine says "Self to self for progress, self to others for inspiration." You are inspiring me. Thank you.
I love that saying! Thanks for sharing it! :thup:

MickiSue Fri, Jul-01-16 15:26

I gotta tell you, though, it took a LOT of personal growth to take that saying at face value. It's pretty easy for me to become the green eyed monster, and I am not that fond of that side of myself!