Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Breakfast Ideas (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=96)
-   -   HomeFries / Hash Browns (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=4437)

MsDad Wed, Oct-29-03 09:30

Omigod! I made the radish version this morning (in fact, I'm eating as I type) - these are incredible!! :hyper: Of all the carbs out there, potatoes are by far my favorite. I could live off them for the rest of my life and never get tired of them. I didn't think there was any way possible to make anything taste as good as a potato. I was wrong! These are unbelievable!! YUMMM!! :yum: The only thing I'll change next time is to let the radishes start to soften a bit before I add the onion. It seems to take them longer to cook. I may even parboil them before I dice them. Either way, whoever came up with this recipe deserves a medal!!

doreen T Mon, Nov-03-03 22:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsDad
....I've got a question about the turnips though and wonder if, since they're a radish cousin, if this may apply. Any time I've ever eaten turnips, they have given me very nasty stomach cramps (which is a shame because I really do like them). Has anyone else ever had this issue, and what's the chance the radishes will too??
Hi! Sorry I didn't see your post sooner .. but hopefully you've had your question answered about the radishes. When radishes are cooked, they lose their "bite" and I think they're less gassy than turnips because they're less carby.

Anyway, glad you liked these and now it's reminding me I haven't had 'em in a while :yum:

Doreen

jesdorka Thu, Nov-13-03 12:17

just finished reading this thread from the beginning to end and copied and pasted all the recipes to my LC recipe file--thanks to everyone for all the great ideas, going to start trying them starting this weekend
jes

MsDad Thu, Nov-13-03 13:18

A little off the subject

OK, I took the radish hash brown thing to a new level. My family loves pot roast...potatoes, carrots, potatoes, onions, potatoes, gravy, potatoes...did I mention potatoes?? Well, I made a pot roast in my crock pot. Normally I would flour the roast and brown it in oil, then add all the other ingredients. Instead, I put the beef in raw, added a few potatoes for the non-LCers in the family, carrots, onions, garlic, canned beef broth and a lb of radishes! WOW! The radishes were better than the potatoes have ever been!! Prep was a little tedious because I peeled the radishes so as to not have pink gravy! But it was well worth it. Now I just need some suggestions to thicken the gravy without using flour or corn starch. Any ideas out there?

Tedmom Thu, Nov-13-03 14:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsDad
Now I just need some suggestions to thicken the gravy without using flour or corn starch. Any ideas out there?

Expert Food's Thickener works really well in pot roast. I just add a teaspoon or so at the beginning and that's usually all I need to thicken the gravy. You can also add more at the end if it is not thick enough. HTH