Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Tips and Stalls (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   coconut oil to speed weight loss? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=232929)

santabarb Thu, Apr-13-06 16:22

Thanks Miri and Skee--
I really appreciate the research links and your bits of personal, practical wisdom. Fantastic!
So one gains with coconut oil (Skee) and one loses(Skinny Ray). Again, how amazingly individual our bodies are, despite the scientific principles. :daze:

skeeweeaka Thu, Apr-13-06 21:56

Hey Santabarb...It is frustrating, but I am dealing with perimenopause so who knows what can happen. I am also taking other oils, so I think my calories were over the top...

cbcb Sat, Apr-15-06 16:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnyRay
another interesting link i found which has lots of articles on the low/fat v high/fat saga.

all i know is when i upped the fat i lost fat. ;) (this and lowering the carbs of course)

Hi - curious about how many fat grams a day that meant for you (and while at it, I may as well ask calories, protein and carbs!)... I'm aiming for 1800 calories (may drop this in a couple weeks if nothing budges) about 60% of calories from fat - which is a little over 100 grams - and no more than 30ish carbs.

JandLsMom Sat, Apr-15-06 22:29

i am excited. yesterday i ordered a quart of the Virgin Coconut oil and a quart of the Virgin Palm Oil from Tropical traditions..my first time trying either! ill let ya know if i notice any changes like quicker weight loss!

santabarb Mon, Apr-17-06 19:11

I am being more cautious on my fat intake. Less saturated fat from chicken, meat, using less coconut oil, not eating bread, so butter use is down. Avocado is a good source of fat.

skinnyRay Mon, Apr-17-06 19:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcb
Hi - curious about how many fat grams a day that meant for you (and while at it, I may as well ask calories, protein and carbs!)... I'm aiming for 1800 calories (may drop this in a couple weeks if nothing budges) about 60% of calories from fat - which is a little over 100 grams - and no more than 30ish carbs.

I wish i could be more helpful. I haven't been counting grams of anything. Only thing is I am conscious of is not to eat too many carbs. I am just going for the (from ANDR) old -no more than 3 cups of vegies/salads per day. The more fat i eat the more satisfied i am so i guess my calories are down that way. the only carbs i eat are in the form of fruit or veg/salads. No processed food at all.

I went crazy on the w/e and ate some easter chocolate and had some bread. yetch. i got all grumpy and bloated and out of ketosis. took me nearly 2 days for the ketones to show up on my strips.

Tis true about everyone being different.

liddie01 Tue, Apr-18-06 08:56

I have started with the coconut oil, I figure as unpleasent as a yeast die off sounds, if I have that much yeast in me I do not want it :lol: besides yesterday and today i felt good after taking it, I just melted it, added splenda, cinnamon and drank it down, :lol: I will have to remember to take all my suppliments to Canada when I go to see my Honey next week.

rodeo417 Sat, Apr-22-06 16:07

where do you order the coconut oil from??? i having a hard time finding it? also liddie how was the coconut oil mixture that you drank? is it sweet? how much splenda???

liddie01 Sat, Apr-22-06 17:27

You can order it from here http://www17.netrition.com/cgi/prod...categories=COCO also a lot of other things you see on here, also my walmart had it, I melted it , put a 1/2 teaspoon of splenda and some cinnaman in and drank i, it is not great, but i didn't want to put it in my coffee :lol:

rodeo417 Sat, Apr-22-06 20:37

i just ordered some and should get it monday or tues. is it somewhat nutty or just like taking flaxseed oil?

cbcb Sat, Apr-22-06 23:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodeo417
i just ordered some and should get it monday or tues. is it somewhat nutty or just like taking flaxseed oil?

It has a far far milder taste than flaxseed oil. I prefer to warm it to just the temperature at which it becomes liquid instead of solid, and then mix it with things to make a salad dressing.

And if you're not trying to eat it 'raw' so to speak, it's wonderful for frying things.

JandLsMom Sun, Apr-23-06 00:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodeo417
where do you order the coconut oil from??? i having a hard time finding it? also liddie how was the coconut oil mixture that you drank? is it sweet? how much splenda???

i ordered mine from www.tropicaltraditions.com and it is really good. I even eat it off the spoon. I wouldnt suggest cooking eggs in it unless you like coconut eggs..cuz it DOES taste like coconut! :lol:

cbcb Sun, Apr-23-06 12:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by JandLsMom
i ordered mine from www.tropicaltraditions.com and it is really good. I even eat it off the spoon. I wouldnt suggest cooking eggs in it unless you like coconut eggs..cuz it DOES taste like coconut! :lol:

This is a good point. (I don't mind the coconut taste with eggs, actually!) But I tend to try to keep on hand two kinds of coconut oil - one, the cold-pressed coconutty tasting kind for use without heating (actually, just barely melted, like the bottle run under warm water in the sink - doesn't take much). And the other is a coconut oil that doesn't tout its "cold-pressedness" or, doesn't really taste like coconut. I use that to cook with.

The best-tasting thing I can imagine using the coconutty-tasting oil with would be something involving shrimp and actual toasted coconut. Must experiment. :)

patnaude12 Sun, Apr-23-06 13:11

Hi Y'all,

cbcb - Actually the coconut taste in shrimp sounds really good, will have to try it. A lot of the island recipes like Hawaii, use a lot of fruit in their cooking, sort of a sweet and sour. I am not too gun ho on sweet and sour except in sweet and sour ribs, yummy. Right now I have just made my first batch of the little Coconut Oil Pecan Cookie without the pecan, I have restarted on Atkins Induction and no nuts till I decide to get to Stage II. Just checked on them and they have set up nicely, need to transfer to a baggie. I sampled the liquid while I was making it for the Splenda and Cinnamon quantity, not too bad. I once saw a non lc recipe for Coconut Shrimp, it was made using shredded coconut.

I am able to get mine from a local health food store, I lilke the idea that it does not have to be refrigerated.

Hope y'all are having a wonderful day.

Carol :rose: :rose: :rose:

liddie01 Sun, Apr-23-06 13:17

I order the virgin coconut oil from tropical traditions, and i buy the other kind, for cooking at Wallmart, because it's less then $3 for 31.5 ounces and good for cooking.

cbcb Sun, Apr-23-06 20:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnaude12
Hi Y'all,

cbcb - Actually the coconut taste in shrimp sounds really good, will have to try it.

Bought shrimp tonight. :D

rodeo417 Tue, Apr-25-06 18:28

i got my order this afternoon. i made it into a chocolate shot and my god did my cheeks get warm. i'm gonna see if it helps with the weight loss. i hope that it does. how much do i need to use. i'm not eating very much now but its feeling???

skinnyRay Tue, Apr-25-06 19:27

Rodeo
What's in a chocolate shot? sounds intriguing :yum:

rodeo417 Tue, Apr-25-06 21:30

oh i put 1T of coconut oil melted and 1tsp. of coco powder and i packet of splenda in a small bowl. mix it reallyyyyy well and take it like a shot. yummy and alittle different. but you have a coconut taste for a while

Shreen Wed, Apr-26-06 18:01

Just be careful of hidden carbs in packets of Splenda- bulked up w/ dextrose. I use saccharin liquid. (I'm going to attempt making sucralose liquid- found sucralose on ebay.)
Anyway, sounds similar to the CO chocolates that I found somewhere on these threads...
3/4 C CO, 4tbl cocoa pwd- sweeten to taste & put in ice cube trays in fridge. I keep them in a bag in my fridge for PMS/emergencies (OK almost every day!!!)

rodeo417 Wed, Apr-26-06 19:25

i tried that chocolate bark and i only like it in my coffee. i waiting for the next whooosh that is coming. i think i stalled it by eating sooo much red meat. i'm starting to switch to chicken and turkey

Shreen Wed, Apr-26-06 19:32

skinnyray-
Just so you know, your eyes are really pretty in your avitar!

rodeo417 Thu, Apr-27-06 19:21

my god my jar is almost half empty. i know i couldnt have eaten that much coconut oil. it wont last a week and a half. how is everyone doing

yogama Fri, Apr-28-06 08:40

Hey Everyone -

I was wondering how much coconut oil everyone was taking per day???

I take minimum 2T, and I went most of a month taking 3T

However, I felt like my calories where a bit too high and cut back to 2T.

For the month of April I lost 5lbs and several days ago I cut my calories to around 1400 for the last two days and I lost 1 lb making it 6 total. yippee!!

Lets hear how much everyone is taking....

Just curious, thanks.

cbcb Fri, Apr-28-06 08:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogama
I was wondering how much coconut oil everyone was taking per day???

Say, while you're at it - I'm curious about whether everyone is taking those tablespoons *of virgin cold-pressed coconut oil* and whether you're taking it raw or heating it significantly (not just melting it but using it for frying). That would be helpful to know, to anecdotally parcel out the benefits of the raw, raw, raw coconut oil point of view.

yogama Sat, Apr-29-06 10:36

cbcb -

I take the organic virgin coconut oil that tastes and smells like coconut. Tropical Traditions brand.

I take it by the tablespoon full and/or I heat it to melt it so I can add cinnamon to it.

I cook my eggs in it and I add it to veggies but I dont fry anything in it. Not that I wouldnt. I have heard that co holds up better under high heat than any other veg or seed oil, so if I did any frying I would use co.

ProfGumby Sat, Apr-29-06 11:19

My favorite way is still coconut bark. Made another huge batch today.... :p

Also, I am getting better about just eating the co right off the spoon at times. I also put the spoon in my mouth to get all the oil from it when cooking with it...

Ahhh, oh so good!

rodeo417 Sat, Apr-29-06 19:27

i use it and make coconut bark. i just got use to eating it this way. but it has to be really cold so i keep it in the freezer. i also cook my eggs in it. i love the taste but the oily feeling of it on the spoon. ohhh i also make chocolate shots with it. melt a little and add some coco powder and splenda. then take it just like a shot. but it sometimes has an aftertaste of the oil.

skeeweeaka Mon, May-01-06 23:24

I prefer it in my coffee, coconut bark, and eggs...

santabarb Tue, May-02-06 12:40

My main use of coconut oil (Nutiva is delish--very neutral tasting) is in frying up meat, chicken, vegetables. I used to use olive oil but read in a scientific study that the oil least altered by heat is coconut oil. I do not eat any sweets of any kind right now--not even homemade sugar-free ones. Trying to retrain to a fat tooth, not a sweet tooth... :p