Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=106)
-   -   group for those wanting to lose 20lbs by jan 1! (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=145579)

fishmonkey Tue, Nov-18-03 08:50

Bubu..........................170/169/171 Total loss = 0 (gain 1)
Mossygyrl...................148/Total Loss = 0 (ick)
Nicolegwen.................121/Total Loss = 0
Optimize.....................161/Total Loss = 0
Heatherelo..................171/170/Total Loss=1
Fishmonkey.................162/162/163 Total gain=1 (double ick)
TamiOrr......................200/Total loss=0
Rosemam....................145/Total loss=0
Rachelle..................... 140/137 Total Loss= 3
Lily.............................280/275 Total loss=2 (5 since November 5)
Ricky..........................165/167 (gain 2)
Petcrazed...................187/185 Total lose=2

Marines protect my life everyday--I work in an American embassy. I can't thank our service men and women enough!!
Got to celebrate with them this weekend at the 228th anniversary party. Might account for the 1# gain but I choose to blame TOM.
Exercising like a fiend though and not losing hope!

mossygyrl Tue, Nov-18-03 10:30

hello guys, sorry i missed the monday check in.
murphys law seems to have a thing for me,
my car was wrecked in an accident yetserday
and i was robbed during that same event.
well, maybe not having a car will convince me to start
biking more something i have been meaning
to do though the weather here is getting pretty chilly.

i could say i lost one pound, as the list is inaccurate (i gained a pound last check in) so im back where i started.
i dont know whats going on, why we all seem stalled?
i cant figure it out. what are your thoughts on your progress, and insights on your own personal potential stall?

my concerns:
-too much coffee?
(this keeps me going these days as a grad student, sleeping at 3am and getting up for class at 8:30)
-too many calories?
(i ate 3/4 block of cream cheese the other day in the form of knox cheesecake. coming home from the bar at 3 am is terrible for cravings though i was sober!)

perhaps these are my downfalls.
otherwise, ive been pretty good about following the plan - so i dont understand.

Bubu, im sorry to hear about your sons going active.
i cannot believe how long this conflict has dragged on. something which i believe should never have happened and now the people are getting dragged into our govts mess. though no one may share my views on this. for the sake of all our men and women abroad i hope Bush finds a resolutoin to this problem with out the need for more violence...

have a good day
mossygyrl

Mossygyrl...................148/Total Loss = 1

Deshukel Tue, Nov-18-03 13:58

still new here

Thanks for welcoming me in. I think I'm too late to lose 20 by Jan 1st, but I bet I can do 10. Wish me luck.

A little about me... my favorite food is angel hair pasta!! A big no no. I like to exercise. I'm with Bubu. I have to do it early. My four kids need me by 7:00 and my daycare kids start coming at 6:30 a.m.

I started LCing again this Monday, but I have yet to exercise. I am getting over a virus ..feel like I worked out for two hours !! So sore. I vow to go tomorrow no matter how bad I ache. Maybe it will actually help.

Mad at my self for letting 10 lbs creep back on. Wearing a 12/14. Aiming for 8 or 135. Short and stout, that's me!

My kids don't like eggs, but I'm learning not to like cereal etc.
I love coffee!

just a little about me.!!

sabrina g Tue, Nov-18-03 15:11

sabrina g....................126/124/124 Total this week =0:cry:

Missed the checkin yesterday, but no new losses to report. Have managed to keep the 2 pounds from creeping back. Better luck next week.

bubu Tue, Nov-18-03 18:50

HI EVERYONE,

FIRST TO ALL OF YOU.....I am so moved by your support its bringing tears to my eyes. If our boys only knew how cherished they are.
We do everything we can to show it. We fly a flag on a big pole outside we have ribbon and we have a one star banner, we put 'support our troops' stickers on the cars and we will be burning red/white/blue lights for the holidays as well. Yet nothing seems to be enough for us the civilians.
They will do their job and proudly so, and God willing they will return.
Once again Many Many Thanks. :thup:

Welcome Deshukel nice to see another early bird sweatin off the pounds. :)
What do you do as far as workouts ?

Mossy, as u can see I have gained back...and I am a true believer in the stress level having everything to do with our weight. That and the lack of sleep...big time.
Its like the body is protecting itself with all its might so we don't run ourselves down.
Coffee doesn't bother me and if it does..well then I take the slow version of this, cause I need that java that early in the am for sure and again in the afternoon to keep me going some more.

Calories, well I haven't counted them lately....but I don't change eating patterns and menus much these days..so I know I am ok.
I stay betw 1400 and 1600 cal. I did a metabolic check and thats about my middle ground.
Now cheese and possible food allergies may have something to do with it. I have not noticed a difference in myself, but I read where lots of people have them.
I still say ...sleep and relaxation are prob. the best meds. And I mean no worries...which is hard at this time of year for sure. Will be interesting how many people will stall over the holidays after having stuck to the plan.

Oh, I did have pd less again this a.m. but I want another gone !!!!....so if not gone by tomorrow I will change my stats.
Laters Gators,

Bu

AFwife Wed, Nov-19-03 02:00

Not gonna let it get me down.

Ok so after my cheat this past Saturday the darn scale said I was up the 6 pounds I lost. So today, it's down 2 pounds. I'm proud of myself for not giving up and getting discouraged. I was upset, but I did it to myself so serves me right. I've started fresh and it's starting to show. Thanks God.

Lily :yay:

fishmonkey Wed, Nov-19-03 07:03

Mossy!! That sucks! I can't believe you were in an accident and robbed?? I thought NC was a nice safe state! I hope you weren't hurt. Here's to at least being back where we started (I am too as of this morning at least!)

I know why I'm stalled--it's the liquor. Damn holiday time of year. I resist the food but go for the low carb cocktails or wine. Better cut WAY down.
:Party:
I want to welcome Deshukel as well! Good job with the exercise--keep it up!

Sabrina--keep up the great attitude!

Bubu--I agree that stress has everything to do with it. Go easy on yourself. You're doing great under the tough circumstances!!

AF wife--proof that not giving up pays off! Great job--you are inspiring me!

Deshukel Wed, Nov-19-03 08:34

Weigh In (Wed)

Deshukel.....................165.5/163 loss 2.5(Nov 17th begin)

Thought I should add myself.

Deshukel Wed, Nov-19-03 08:50

how long??

Since I am on induction again..I wonder how much I can plan to lose? I need a new tape measure to do inches, my last one broke.
I want those pants falling off of me again!! This time I'm going to give them away like Dr. Phil said! Then I can't slip back into the next size up without buying more.

Thanks everyone for welcoming me in so late in the game.

FISHMONKEY>>>> :nono: I too drink like a fish!! Being a lush is the hardest part of induction for me. I used to drink Martinis and then got into beer when I fell of the carb wagon. Better go back to Vodka and Gin after induction. I was able to still lose while drinking those. but I feel eventually I stalled and needed to lay off alcohol period. It seems to dehydrate and then make me retain water. I would drop 4 lbs after a long night and then the next day be up 6. BOOOOO!!!!

I have to agree with you all. I want our troops back here in the states. Prayers be with you all!!!

Rachelle Wed, Nov-19-03 10:27

Good morning guys.... I am still at 137 this week...but on the fourteenth i met my mini goal... see signature... I was so excieted... my old faithful jeans... ya know the ones that are all tore up on the bottoms.. cuz i am short and all my jeans are too long... i wear '3-'5 heels.. and they still brush the floor.. giggle...

So even though no weight loss to report... i am shrinking... yipppeeee...

Bubu... I will keep you and my son in your prayers... i believe we are fighting for a good cause.. and i love this country... your son is doing a very honorable thing :)

HeatherElo Wed, Nov-19-03 12:42

Hi Guys--I had a slip up yesterday. I ate a couple of my kids school lunch box treats. Being over worked is a real trigger for me. I teach school and start very early. I need to get home around 4 or 5 to help my son with homework and spend time with my daughter and maybe even fit in an exer. video. I also get home hungry and need to have good stuff at hand. I also need my husband not to bombard me with his ISSUES as I come through the door. I have told him that after I have had dinner and Tai-Bo I am a much more available to deal w/ house building plans, hearing about his job etc...He is just a very happy and intense person and doesn't alway chill out and wait until I've cooled out. Well, yesterday I worked until 6:00--meetings, meetings meetings Ugh! and everything else was a stress bomb as I walked into the house and there was no "good" food on hand. Long story short--I am worth more than a bag of chips and I need to make healthy choices!
Doin fine today. Will go home at 4 and deal w/ life like a woman and not a dope!

Thanks to all who have shared that they have lost inches w/o lbs--I was sorted bummed about my numbers but should be happy about my clothing feeling looser!

HeatherElo Wed, Nov-19-03 12:44

Hey Rachelle--
Congrats on meeting your mini-goal! It is great to feel good in those jeans!

petcrazed Wed, Nov-19-03 13:32

Rachelle-

Congrats!!! its been many years since i wore a size 7, by they end of all this (my 140 lbs) i hope to be joining you!

Optimize Wed, Nov-19-03 19:40

HI everyone---have not lost any weight but I am not following the diet plan properly.
Several things going on in life that are upsetting at present and as usual I deal with problems by eating. Will try to get back on track.

bubu Wed, Nov-19-03 20:13

Rachelle,
Congrats on your progress such a thrill to see you succeeding. :yay: :dazzle: :Party:

I remember dropping weight fairly easy in my younger years as well. Back then my mother was struggling at an age where I am now .
But that was then and this is now. I do have to say that I am a hundred times more active than she was and it still doesn't seem to matter.

What I am trying to say is, that I am not angry its going as slow as it is, I have come to take it for what it is, an aging body (not mind or heart !!!)
The 20 pds by January is attainable by some, esp those just starting dependiing on how much has to go.
And we are all here for those who this may be achievable, as well as for one another who may just see a 5 pd loss .

Regardless I think we have a great bunch of motivated people here who will not be perfect but who are fighters in any sense of the way.
HERE'S TO US AND DOING IT.

Who cares how long it takes, as long as we are not gaining it back but losing it steadily.
We don't lack determination or will power, we are having to deal with life and if we fall off the food wagon, we will jump right back on.

One thing I know is that by January we will all have made improvements of some kind or another, eating habits, water intake, vitamines and minerals, exercise habits, inches or weight will have changed...and HEY
I am looking fwd to seeing just what we can all do with this in our own individual way.

Thanks for being here everyone.

Laters Gators
Bu

AFwife Thu, Nov-20-03 02:37

I know today isn't weigh in day but,

I'M DOWN 2 MORE POUNDS. That's 4 pounds in 4 days. 1 pound a day, OMG.

I'm so excited.

Lily

ricky47 Thu, Nov-20-03 15:53

Wow

:dazzle: YOU ROCK - af wife---Way to go....I'd be ecstatic too. A pound a day sound like the formula is working. You GO girl.
I'm on day 3 - my hardest to keep my hand out of the kids snacks too. Bought them really good ice cream last nite and didn't even lick my fingers. I'm so proud of myself...
Today will be a rough one. Feeling a little weak during the work out. had to stop and regroup. Tried to use that fitday to count calories, and it just doen't seem right. Give a listen - they logged this menu at 2217 cal & 61 carbs
3 hard boiled eggs
6 oz can of tuna in water
1 tbs of miracle whip
small rib eye steak
4 svgs of jello (1 pkg)
I didn't even have them count the 2 oz of swiss cheese I ate with the tuna salad or the cream in my decaf coffee....Am I really out there?
I thought I was under 20 carbs and it felt like 1300 calories.
Is this why I'm stalled? I don't count it right?

bubu Thu, Nov-20-03 17:51

AF wife....you are MELTING !!!!!! hehe....Congrats on the fun time.

Ricky, go back and check to see if you changed the auto values fitday puts in .Thats the only thing I can think of happend. say for cheese...I usually use the cubic inch measure, but it comes up as 1 cup.
There is no way u had that much in carbs/cal.

mossygyrl Thu, Nov-20-03 20:33

good evening guys,
i have bad news to report. i cheated for the first time in over a month. but is it wrong to say that it was totally worth it? i had two chocolate chip cookes last night, and while i was at it, 3 beers (my favorite kind) and channa masala. too difficult not to accompany the best bluegrass music has to offer with my favorite beer.
i know i will likely stall for a week, but sometimes. you just have to deal with the consequences.

i think part of it i was just feltl that since i had been stalling for weeks anyways, whats another week.

god, what bad attitude. i shouldnt be spreading my bad attitude around here. but what is funny is i weighed in one pound less the next day.

anyone else have this trend of losing weight after drinking alcohol? i think this is what ricky (??) had been talking of?

also, i think that our bodies must not process beer the same way, or perhpas alcohol in general - i start losing myself after half or one drink! totally ridiculous.

hope you are all well -
mossygyrl

fishmonkey Fri, Nov-21-03 05:45

Ricky,
Was the jello sugar-free? If not that accounts for the carb count. Also, you didn't list fiber. Don't forget to subtract the fiber grams from the total carbs. Keep up the good work. We are proud of you!!

fishmonkey Fri, Nov-21-03 05:58

Mossy,
Don't feel bad. You're doing fine. Bluegrass and beer sound worth it to me! I don't always stall after drinking but I sometimes am less careful about what I eat if I'm a little buzzed. I think it may be the calories in alcohol and not the carbs.
When I went on vacation for 5 days and drank beer (not lite) the whole time I took carb blockers and didn't gain an ounce. I don't swear by them but I figure they can't hurt. That was the only high-carb thing I consumed though. I didn't get headaches or cravings for stuff like I do if I cheat and have sugar or god-forbid the time I ate normal pasta. Yuck I felt sick and couldn't shake the cravings for days after that.
I hope you don't beat yourself up about it. It's not such a big deal!
I LOVE bluegrass!!

ricky47 Fri, Nov-21-03 07:27

the book revisited

Went down to the cellar and dusted off THE BOOK. It recommends 400 Chromium gtf 3x's a day for 2 days and 500 L-Glutamine 3x's a day, and at least 1 dose of B50. This will cut the cravings out, and it has...made it through the 3rd day pitfall without a cheat, even when sitting for pizza, buying 2ft sub sandwich for the bs. Expo, and sitting between my son and husband wolfing down chocoholic ice cream with a chaser of reese cups....I didn't even have jello..... Yippee ...I'm free.
Also found some solice in a couple of L-Tyrosines on an ongoing basis, pop them and b50's anytime I feel stressed. See if they can help ya'll.
You know gals - booze is a no no on any diet. I treat myself a caffine free, diet pepsi once a day, and cut that out for a couple of days and substituted sugar free cranberry juice (1part to 8 parts) water. Pretend its a cocktail. No buzz, but you can imagine its a cape codder...at least until you get rid of the fat. This is only while on strict induction, which is where I'm at these 2 weeks. Still may be a decent trick for owl.
I expect to have a good weight loss this Monday. I will not break this promise to myself again. No one deserves my word of honor more than me.... Nothing worth doing is worth doing right.
As you can see, I'm trying to pump myself up this morning LOL. YeeHaa. :agree:
Ya'll have a great weekend. Whatever you do - do it with passion. Enjoy the process.

Deshukel Fri, Nov-21-03 07:31

I forgot this actually works....

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=Indigo]
I guess I was expecting something else... This a.m. I was back down to 160. One week ago I was up to about 167. I'm SO TERRIBLY excited I, had to boast! I have to admit, I haven't been doing a very strict induction though.
Over this weekI have had a few triscuits, some almonds,about 10 McDonalds fries and I had 2 Low carb beers and 2 Vodka/ DietTonics.. We watch ER and drink beer and eat chicken wings on Thursdays..but I passed on the breaded chicken wings!!

Still, not bad for 4 days!!! Also I haven't had the gumption to do my exercise.

Im so impressed with all of you that keep coming here for support and reporting. I think it really helps.

I think I'm going to break it down into mini-goals like some of you girls do.

THANKS GIRLS!!

Deshukel Fri, Nov-21-03 07:36

Ricky

Good job on the self discipline!...I need to lay off of the weekly drinks. I do like straight tonic or soda...Where you do you find Sugar free Cranberry?..The kind we have has tons of carbs even being LITE. Have you been a on again off again LCer?? I noticed your weight was down quite a bit on your avatar, but you said you were on induction...are you restarting or trying to give a boost?

I am currently restarting...

Keep up the good work!

Deshukel Fri, Nov-21-03 07:38

L Tyrosine

I have some in my cabinet(L-Tyrosine), but can't remember why...Oh, yes I think for brain function...LOL .... :rolleyes: Help me here.WHat are the supposed benefits on Atkins?

and what is a B50???

HeatherElo Fri, Nov-21-03 12:10

HI folks--
I am really perplexed about the whole vitamin and mineral thing. Sorry to bore you guys with the I'm-in-South-America theme :yawn: --but anyway, I am in South America. I cannot get everything you gals have tucked up your sleeves-- I can get chronium and all vitamins as in A B C& E--(and sometimes Y--just kidding) Does anyone have any suggestions for me about taking them and does chronium have any anti-craving qualities? Lemme know, my LowCarb Goddesses! Next time I am in the states what would you say are some must haves I should pick up to help me w/ this WOL?

HeatherElo Fri, Nov-21-03 12:19

Hey Deshukel--
Nice goin girl! Keep up the good work.

Rachelle Fri, Nov-21-03 14:13

I need to report.... I had a whoosh... which is almost impossible.. or is it??
I never get this lucky...maybe 1 lb a week... but i was down 2.5lbs this morning.... i almost cried :)
When i changed my stats.. it says i am 50% done...

Thanks you guys... you are the best.... !!!!

AFwife Fri, Nov-21-03 16:08

Congrates Rachelle on the lose. You go girl.

HeatherElo, can't you get the vita's online?

Mossy, don't worry I think everyone has there cheat moment. Stay strong.

Ricky doing great, hand in there.

Bubu, I'm melting some more, total pounds down as of today is 6 pounds. Damn, that's in just 5 days. I'm so excited.

Well if I missed anyone, sorry. It's 10:30 pm here and gotta hit the sack. Computer was down all day and I just wanted to drop in before going to bed.

Take care, thanks for the support, Your all great.

Lily

petcrazed Fri, Nov-21-03 16:24

well folks i know wiegh in is not till monday but i am down to 184!!! that's a total of 4 lbs lost since i start this group. :yay:

only 4 more lbs and i will be 33% of the way done!!!!

I was a bad girl yesterday though, i had a horrible pain in my stomach and eating deit approved stuff was not helping so i had a small granola bar and it worked.

i cant wait for next thursday TURKEY DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i even went and bough some good wine to have with dinner. one of the hard things about living in this area -- (besides dealing with the micheal jackson zoo- i live 45 minutes from his neverland ranch) there are over 100 differnt wineries in this county, and they are sooooooooooooooo good. i just bought some
pinot gris a wonderful white wine, same wine i had on our wedding day! :rheart:

Congrats to AF and rachelle you guys are doing great! :cheer: