Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Breakfast Ideas (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=96)
-   -   HomeFries / Hash Browns (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=4437)

Marvin L Sun, Jul-13-03 17:34

Has anyone tried Rutabaga

I was reading through all these posting using radishes, Daikon, and Jicama. I was wondering if anyone has tried rutabaga for the hash browns. I have used rutabaga for making potato salad and it is wonderful. Just this evening I sliced up a rutabaga like thin french fries and fried it in vegetable oil season with Lowery seasoning salt and they were fantastic. All as good as any potato. I would like to hear your comments on this.
Marv :yay:

chrisews Sun, Jul-13-03 18:54

Marvin, If by rutabega you mean turnips, the lovely white and purple ones, yes, I have done the hash browns using turnips, with green onion I have fried them in oil, WONDERFUL It makes you think you've eaten actual hash browns, or home fries, actually. glad to have ypu aboard. chris

Marvin L Tue, Jul-15-03 15:48

Rutabaga

Chris, No a rutabaga is not the same as a turnip. Its flesh is a light orange color and it has a sweeter tast than a turnip. It is a tuberous vegi and when you purchase them they are usually coated with a wax to help hold the mositure in. They are quite ugly but I have found them to be about the best tasting substiture for potatoes.
Hope you can find them and give them a try.
Marv

chrisews Wed, Jul-16-03 07:58

thanks Marvin, I will look for them. I'm alittle afraid of root veggies though. you're sure it's a lo carb one? thanks, chris

doreen T Wed, Jul-16-03 10:09

Rutabaga is a bit higher in carbs than the small white and purple turnips .. hence its sweeter taste ;)

From our carb counter tool:
100g raw rutabaga ... 8.13g carbs, 2.5g fiber ... 5.63g net carbs

100g raw turnip ... 6.23g carbs, 1.8g fiber ... 4.43g net carbs
100g raw will yield roughly ˝ cup cooked.

hth,

Doreen

Jeepgirl74 Fri, Aug-08-03 07:55

Bumping this up to say how fabulous these were! I tried them last night and they were great! Thanks for the tip! :)

chrisews Fri, Aug-08-03 10:29

You know, it's such a pain to cut up the turnip, so I tried frozen turnips, Not the ones that are mashed and have a bunch of carbs, but the ones that are dices in a big bag. Well, I threw in onion, and peppers and olive oil, and fried them up til they were nice and brown, Let me tell you, it was every bit as good as the fresh, It was easy for me too, because I was doing the same thing for my DH with some leftover roasted Potatoes, so I just kept at it till both pans were done. Really makes you feel like you're having something forbidden, and so easy. chris

Ryssa Fri, Aug-15-03 21:32

silly question

new to radishes, so a quick question, do need to peel them or anything or just dice them up? i feel so silly asking :lol: but ive never prepared radishes before

i cant wait to try this

thanks

Jeepgirl74 Sat, Aug-16-03 09:29

I didn't peel them -- I just made sure they were washed and cut of any parts that looked damaged.

itsalguod Thu, Sep-25-03 13:11

Thank you

[/COLOR][/FONT]I just want to say thank you to all of you who are creative. I would have no clue how to make this stuff up. I do want to try the potatoe salad..I found one they make in stores that is like baked potatoes. sour cream onions and bacon bits. I am having a pot luck on Sunday and just may try to fix it. I tend to get a bit bored with the regular chicken and burger routine. Glad to find tons more recipes.. again thanx to you all.[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=Indigo]

shefishes Thu, Oct-16-03 06:32

Delicious!

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum, and was scanning for breakfast ideas and saw the radish recipe. Ran to the store, bought some radishes, and made them with scallions. They were awesome! Thanks for the recipe.

Sue

205/175/140

el corazón Thu, Oct-16-03 09:18

I use radishes, wash em up, throw them in the food processor til theyre teeny, like rice, spray a pan with PAM butter spray, cook em for awhile, add in some crushed up pork rinds and eat it with salt and pepper. SOOOO good! I looove radishes! Im getting ready to plant some soon.

Tedmom Tue, Oct-21-03 07:47

Thank you for coming up with this recipe! Made the daikon hash browns this a.m. with fresh rosemary and a little garlic. I'm in potato-less heaven! Julie.

di52 Tue, Oct-21-03 09:26

Debbie's thinking of Thank Heaven for Little Girls" by MC

MsDad Wed, Oct-29-03 05:52

I've never been a huge fan of raw radishes, and i'd never heard of cooking them. But I've been reading everyone rave about these hash browns, so I've got to try them. I've got a question about the turnips though and wonder if, since they're a radish cousin, if this may apply. Any time I've ever eaten turnips, they have given me very nasty stomach cramps (which is a shame because I really do like them). Has anyone else ever had this issue, and what's the chance the radishes will too??