Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Gym Logs (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Lisa's Quest (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=22665)

lisaf Fri, Nov-30-01 13:19

Still a bit ill, but since its not in my chest, nor am I running a fever anymore, I figured I'd head to the gym.

Tried the Body for Life 20 minute aerobic solution on the stairclimber...definitely a challenge! But felt good. Did half-hearted Ab workout since I'm still unbelieveably sore from my Monday attempt at Ab Boot camp. Gotta get me some of that glutamine!

Plan to take it easy this weekend - maybe run tomorrow if its not too wet out there. Weather is awful, not at all inspiring.

Can't wait to meet the Ottawa and area lo-carbers at lunch tomorrow!!!

Lisa

Natrushka Fri, Nov-30-01 13:35

Quote:
Originally posted by lisaf
Thanks for the advice Nat - where are you buying your Glutamine?

Lisa, not sure how the hell I missed this.... feeling rather blonde of late ;)

I bought mine downtown on Bank St. between Slater and Albert- there's a nutrition house on the east side of the street; near the hoity toity jewelry store. I've seen it at Price Club though; Hunt Club location. I understand they'll be opening a pharmacy in that one soon as well.

Have a question for you: My girlfriend bought one of those exercise balls and we've having a devil of a time trying to inflate it. It came with two attachments; one looks like a very elongated golfing T and the second is hollow with a screw-in end. Any clues? We tried hooking a bicycle pump up to the hollow one and it just kept blowing off - too much force I think. Ugh. Any help would be most appreciated.

See you tomorrow - assuming nothing else in my house comes crashing down. What a day.

Nat

lisaf Fri, Nov-30-01 14:26

You know what? I can't remember if we used anything special to inflate the darn things. We do have an air pump we bought from Canadian Tire - it definitely has a bigger nozzle than a bicycle pump. I believe the elongated golf tee thing is the plug for the hole once filled. I need to double check with dh to make sure we didn't do anything special. I'll throw the pump in my car and you can take a look tomorrow.

Hope your house stays intact! Having a rough day?

Lisa

P.S. I know the place you mean - bought some aromatherapy stuff there once. I'll try Bulk Barn since I don't get downtown much.

Natrushka Fri, Nov-30-01 17:07

Thanks, Lisa

Yes, having rough day. Toilet tank cracked and flooded the upstairs bathroom..... water fall could be heard dripping through the walls. Emerged from the dining room ceiling fan and in the cold air exchange in the furnace. Then the new toilet the plumbers were installing didnt fit. Apparently the OLD one didnt fit either but it was forced in and that's why it cracked. We took the 'wood' off the wall behind the tank and that gave us 1/8th of an inch which was enough room to get everything hooked up. Going to do some shopping around this weekend for a bathroom renovator.... been wanting to fix that hole up for years; this was enough impetus to get me moving. Sitting here with crossed fingers that the dining room ceiling wont be permanently damaged. Ugh. Bad day.

I'll grab the ball from Michelle tomorrow before heading out, thx so much.

N

lisaf Sat, Dec-01-01 05:18

You win!

Yup - you win the bad day awards hands down! That sounds awful! The worst part about house plumbing/electrical stuff/car repairs is that its always expensive and generally beyond your control and seems to need to be fixed immediately or you'll freeze/die in a horrific accident/have extensive additional damage.

Ick!

Lisa

lisaf Sun, Dec-02-01 19:26

Well, its time to go public! I'm going to start Body for Life tomorrow. Of course, this being me, nothing can start smoothly. I have so much stuff to bring to work tomorrow that I won't be able to o to the gym. This means I will have to do Day 2 (20 min aerobics) tomorrow and do Day 1 (upper body workout) on Tuesday.

Not sure exactly how I'm going to deal with Christmas, when I won't have access to the gym for 3 days...

I'm a bit apprehensive...i.e. how is this going to fit into my life etc. But hey! It's only 12 weeks of life, right?

Lisa

lisaf Mon, Dec-03-01 06:56

Day 1 - BFL

20 minute run - HIIT...okay, more like the "19 minute and 20 second Aerobics Solution". I think my perceived 9 was actually my perceived 9 1/2 so I have to slow down a little bit or I won't be able to finish at all.

Lower abdominals are still strained so no ab work for me for a while. Off to buy some Glutamine as soon as I get paid!

Lisa

Natrushka Mon, Dec-03-01 07:44

Hey Lisa :) Great meeting you on Sat. Tickled pink you're doing the BFL! Wanted to let you know they carry Glutamine at Wal-Mart at South Keys now. All the supplements are with the vitamins by the pharmacy.

Nat

lisaf Mon, Dec-03-01 10:39

Excellent - thanks! That's much more do-able than downtown!

lisaf Tue, Dec-04-01 08:35

BFL - Day 2

Upper body workout:

Chest:
Dumbbell bench press:
12 reps, 8 lbs each (4)
10 reps, 10 lbs (5)
8 reps, 12 lbs (6)
6 reps, 15 lbs (7)
12 reps, 12 lbs (9)
Dumbbell flies
12 reps, 10 lbs (9)

Shoulders:
Seated dumbbell press:
12 reps, 8 lbs (7)
10 reps, 10 lbs (8)
8 reps, 12 lbs (9)
6 reps, 12 lbs (9)
9 reps, 10 lbs (10)
Side raises
12 reps, 8 lbs (10)

Back:
Wide grip pulldowns
12 reps, 15 lbs (7)
10 reps, 30 lbs (8)
8 reps, 45 lbs (9)
6 reps, 45 lbs (10)
12 reps, 30 lbs (8)
Attempted reverse grip pulldown but lower ab strain is still too sore.

Triceps:
Bench dips:
12 reps, no weight (4)
10 reps, 10 lbs (5)
10 reps, 12 lbs (6)
10 reps, 15 lbs (6)
12 reps, 15 lbs (9)
Abs to sore for tricep pulldowns...I'll have to try something else until they get better!

Biceps:
Incline dumbbell curls
12 reps, 10 lbs (6)
9 reps, 12 lbs (10)
6 reps, 12 lbs (10)
6 reps, 10 lbs (9)
12 reps, 8 lbs (9)
Seated dumbbell curls
10 reps, 8 lbs (10)

Arms feel pretty wobbly!

Lisa

lisaf Wed, Dec-05-01 08:18

Got the glutamine Nat! Need a bigger water bottle though - it tastes awful in only 500 ml! Still, chugged it down to half and watered down the rest so it was okay.

Here's a question - the container says two level teaspoons per day...but that would be for a man with more LBM than me?

7:30 a.m. - Lower Body workout on an empty stomach

Quads
Dumbbell Squats
12 reps, 8x2 lbs (5)
10 reps, 10x2 lbs (6)
8 reps, 12x2 lbs (7)
6 reps, 15x2 lbs (8)
12 reps, 12x2 lbs (8)
Leg extensions
12 reps, 45 lbs (9 1/2?)

Hamstrings
Dumbbell Lunges
12 reps, 8x2 lbs (5)
10 reps, 10x2 lbs (6)
8 reps, 12x2 lbs (7)
6 reps, 15x2 lbs (8)
12 reps, 12x2 lbs (9)
Deadlifts
12 reps, 18 lb bar (8) - need more weight next time

Calves
Single calf raises
12 reps, 8 lb (5)
10 reps, 12 lbs (6)
8 reps, 15 lbs (7)
8 reps, 20 lbs (8)
12 reps, 20 lbs (9)
Angled calf raise
12 reps, 20 lbs (9)

Need to start at a higher weight for calves next time.

Lisa

Natrushka Wed, Dec-05-01 08:43

Quote:
Originally posted by lisaf
Here's a question - the container says two level teaspoons per day...but that would be for a man with more LBM than me?

Formula i'm using for glutamine is .3g per lb of LBM = total. Divide that by 2 or 3 (depending on how much it is) and have after workout and before bed. I can disolve 1 tsp in a litre of water and notice it not anything more is chalky - but I have noticed that if you put it in the bottle the night before for the morning it mixes better.

Nat

p.s. for some reason I cannot email you; your server keeps returning things undeliverable Arrrrrgggggggg!

lisaf Wed, Dec-05-01 09:07

Nat - just tried to email you and it bounced back to me so now I'm not sure what's going on...

Do you have a good online calculator for LBM?

Lisa

Natrushka Wed, Dec-05-01 10:13

I have something I can mail you. I just used this formula and while it's complicated it seems to be accurate. It certainly involves enough measurements ;)

Nat

grrlpwer Wed, Dec-05-01 10:31

Lisa good luck with BFL :wave:
I bet you do great