Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Low-Carb Products (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   CARBQUIK BAKE MIX (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=213193)

Unholy Fri, Dec-10-04 21:54

I just ordered a 3lb package of this from netrition.com for $10.99 + 4.95 Shipping. $15.94 shipped. Not bad cant wait to try it.

Tess M Sat, Dec-11-04 04:38

Hi, Unholy--Hope that you will like the Carbquik (I really think you will!).. If you do like it, it will be very cost effective to order 2 or 3 boxes at a time in the future. Did you notice that Netrition has a flat shipping rate of $4.95, no matter what the weight of the order? I try to order everything I think that I will need for quite a while, at one time--in order to save on the s/h charges. You probably did already know this, but just thought I'd mention, to give you a head's up. Cococarby--My family doesn't know the difference either. :D My "kids" (now all grown up) used to avoid the lc stuff that I made, like the plague--but now they know it's all good and I have a hard time keeping any for ME!!! :p

steph z Mon, Dec-13-04 20:03

Made the Pound Cake from the Carbquik site. But added in 1 cup of cranberries. Very tasty, freezes well. All my non LCers love it too.

LOWCARBR Wed, Dec-15-04 11:47

:wave: i have some of this Carbquick mix at home and have tried it for my mock sausage mcmuffin recipe that i found here in the forum. it tasted ok. not great but ok enough to say i can have some changes in my menu by using this as a baking tool. i found mine at the health food store. they have such a wide variety of lc products. i find everything there including atkins products.

steph z Wed, Dec-15-04 17:04

LOWCARBR, I highly recommend you try some of the recipes on the www.carbalose.com website. Products, that I have found that work really well are:

Scones (use a non LC recipe and substitute flour with Carbquik)
Turkey pot pie (recipe on website)
dumplings (use a non LC recipe and substitute flour with Carbquik)
Batter for veges or fish (recipe on website)
Pound Cake (recipe on website)
white or bechamel sauce (use a non LC recipe....)
Coffee cake (recipe on website)

I have only found a few recipes (all improvised, not following the recipes on the website) that did not work well. I am sure Carbquik is NOT the answer to all baking needs, but I hope you have a better experience with the product because I found it to be the most revolutionary product on the market today.

Regards!

cococarby Wed, Dec-15-04 19:29

So excited!! The Sam's Club where I live just started selling the 3 pound boxes for $6.49!! I stockpiled because with what seems like a recent demise in lc products, I was afraid they'd be gone the next time I was there!
My favorite things made so far are bluberry pancakes and chicken parmagian (recipes on the box).

cheez whiz Fri, Dec-17-04 16:46

Just got my box and made the Impossible Lasagne Pie. It was so good. I believe this was an old bisquick receipe. This Carb quick is so good.

amdevelish Sat, Dec-18-04 16:59

Even if it still has some trans-fat - I am all for anything that will help those of us who still struggle stay LC - because a lil bit of trans-fat is definitely the lesser of the two evils when you take the non LC brands into consideration... Just my opinion! I am going to try it! I give kudos to those of you who are able to eat so cleanly but for some of us - it is a feat just to stay away from the bakery! So products like these help tremendously!

argo2d Mon, Dec-20-04 03:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by amdevelish
Even if it still has some trans-fat - I am all for anything that will help those of us who still struggle stay LC - because a lil bit of trans-fat is definitely the lesser of the two evils when you take the non LC brands into consideration... Just my opinion! I am going to try it! I give kudos to those of you who are able to eat so cleanly but for some of us - it is a feat just to stay away from the bakery! So products like these help tremendously!

no it DOEsn't!! they took it out several months ago!! so ENjoy!!

Tess M Fri, Dec-31-04 04:24

I finally broke down and tried using the Carbquik to thicken gravy last night. It worked surprisingly well!!! I've put off trying it, because I didn't want to ruin a perfectly good meat dish if it wasn't good. This is probably going to be one of my favorite new "go to" meals... Beef tips with pepper, a bit of onion, and mushrooms in gravy (made with beef stock and Carbquik to thicken) over stir fried shredded cabbage (the others had theirs over brown rice)... Very filling, and didn't even seem like a low carb dinner... :) Wow, I can see lots of possibilities for this idea!

steph z Sun, Jan-16-05 15:38

Made pretty good tasting donuts!

Cake donut, of course. They fried up nice - a bit fragile though. Towards the end of the batter (the second round of cut ups) I added cream, then a bit of apple and made fritters.

I simply used a high carb recipe, replaced the flour with Carbquik and the sugar with a sugar substitute.