Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Gym Logs (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Orchid's Exercise Hell (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=191090)

Galadriell Thu, Aug-12-04 12:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by orchidday
Friday:

I did it! I did the 7-mile hike through Sable Point Wildlife Sanctuary! I wrote more about it in my journal but suffice to say that I am very happy with how much my physical endurance has improved thanks to low-carbing and exercise. Just six months ago, I could never have made this hike especially in the heat and humidity. It was fairly easy for me to do so I will be gradually adding longer hikes during this next year! It was wonderful and made all that treadmilling and weights SO worth the effort. As the weather cools, I will be doing more outside activities and fewer gym activities. But nothing beats work in the gym in the Florida heat. Thanks for all your support and encouragement!

Orchid

I read your account in your journal too. Congratulations. Both to the hike, and to overcoming the depression followed by bad news. I think the latter one is much more harder.
I agree: having long time goals - longer hikes next year can be a real motivation. When I sweat on a treadmill as "hill drill", I always visualize Colorado mountains :) .
I would vote for the outside activities too. Unfortunately our weather is similar: during the day it is hot, though not as humid as Florida. Our gym does not have air condition, so we get the heat there too. And we get "unmanned" teens too. The only solution: using the gym either during early morning hours or during lunch time. The hours for "old fuddy duddy"s :D .

Great job, way to go!

Eva

kath310 Sat, Aug-14-04 16:19

Go Orchid!!

Even though I don't visit very often...I'm always thinking of my fellow Muskateers! :)

Looks like you're really into the groove of working out now! Way To Go!! :)

orchidday Tue, Aug-17-04 09:57

Tuesday:

Pull towards abdomen - 20~40#s
Pull down - 20~40#s

Treadmill: 1.09 miles

Trying to get back into a routine after the hurricane! Things still kind of crazy here, but we are doing well. The fitness center was open today and I will also try to do some early morning walks this week.

bellybuton Tue, Aug-17-04 21:14

Damn woman!!! You are shrinking before our very eyes!!!! :thup: :thup: :thup:

orchidday Wed, Aug-18-04 06:54

Wednesday:

3-mile walk

I got up at 6:15AM to do an early morning walk. Things have been so difficult that it felt wonderful to get out of the house. I hiked 3 miles on the Wekiva Trail and saw a hawk about six feet away from me, staring at me. I was glad I had left so early because it sure got hot quickly!

orchidday Thu, Aug-19-04 08:06

Thursday:

Shoulder Press: 8~20lbs.
Leg Extentsion: 10~20lbs.
Pull Down: 10~40lbs.
Pull Towards Abdomen: 10~40lbs.

Treadmill:

1.34 miles

I have really been struggling at the fitness center lately. I just don't seem to be physically up to it. I wonder if it is the humidity which has been 90+% for awhile now. I just feel weaker. I do try to go first thing in the morning to avoid the heat and humidity, but alas it doesn't help much. So I just keep going and doing what I can :).

Orchid

Galadriell Thu, Aug-19-04 12:04

It MUST be the humidity. Heat+ humidity - the worst combination. I know this weakening effect very well, though fortunately we have less humidity on this coast. As I read/heard, it is very well known even the walker/runner veterans, pros. Over 60% humidity might increase the time to cover one mile by 30-60 second.

My recommendation would be to turn down the speed. To walk with one minute/mile slower than your usual speed. There is nothing wrong with cutting back the time either.

Very soon it is September, cooler days...

You wrote:
"So I just keep going and doing what I can :) ."

THAT IS THE RIGHT SPIRIT :) .

Eva

Eva

orchidday Sat, Aug-21-04 07:22

Thanks so much Galad! Yeah, the only thing to do is adjust accordingly and keep going.

Friday: Rest Day

Saturday:

Did a lovely 3 mile hike on the Wekiva trail. Sweaty, but those endorphins do wonders for my mental health :).

bellybuton Sat, Aug-21-04 16:04

Oh my sweet Orchid! I have been neglecting you like I have been neglecting my gym log!!

I see you are still rocking it....and it makes me proud muskateer!! I on the other hand have fallen off my damn horse.....and the little sh*t never came back for me! So if ya happen to see me just laying around....could I please have a ride back to the stable..I want a new horse...preferably one that is related to your horse!!! :D

Hugs and a whole lotta luv!!!!

orchidday Tue, Aug-24-04 07:21

Sunday: Rest Day

Monday: Rest Day

Tuesday:

Treadmill: 1.84 miles

I felt oddly stiff the last couple of days. I think the hurricane mess cleanup made me sore. So I took a couple days off and did a good 40 minutes this morning. I already used up my two days off this week :).

Orchid

orchidday Wed, Aug-25-04 08:04

Wednesday:

I did the mental health thing this morning and walked around Lake Lily for about 30 minutes. Twice around, and it felt good but short :).

bellybuton Thu, Aug-26-04 09:32

Sometimes I think we forget about the mental part of it....seems like a great idea to me Orchid!!!!!

Heres to your health!!!!

HUGS!!!!!!!!! Be good muskateer!!!

orchidday Thu, Aug-26-04 16:52

Thursday:

Treadmill: 2.15 miles

I was in Tampa all day on business but when I got home, I went to the treadmill and did a nice 45 minutes. I sure didn't want to go, but so often, it does me the most good when I don't want to go. I missed the weights though because other people were using the machines and I am no Mother Theresa, I am not going back this evening!

orchidday Sat, Aug-28-04 08:33

Friday:

Extreme foul mood! Sat on my ass.

Saturday:

I did a nice 3.5 mile walk in Sable Point Sanctuary. I saw an owl and a HUGE spider. It was lovely but lots of mosquitos so I really poured on the deet :).

bellybuton Sat, Aug-28-04 21:00

Uhhhhggggggggggggggg!!! I hate those pesky skeeters!!!!!!

Good job muskateer on the walks!!!!!

Hugs to you!!!