Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Has Your Grocery Store Bill Increased With This WOE? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=143434)

smoothblu Wed, Jan-07-04 08:58

Ours has tripled at least.
Meat, fish etc are more expensive than breads and pastas....but the rewards will be worth it.

kenorma Wed, Jan-07-04 08:59

My grocery bill has stayed about the same. Since I have begun LC, I have begun to realize how much processed and strachy foods my little guys eat. Now, they get fewer snack foods, more whole grains and lots more low glycemic fruits and veggies.

2brickie Wed, Jan-07-04 16:37

to keep my bill running smoothly, i have printed out monthly calendar pages and write out menu each month and it really helps. i write my shopping list on back, and then the kids know whats for dinner and they love that. i guess they think of it as like their school lunch menu. it really does help save time too, as i just look each morning and take out what is needed for that night. we tend to not eat as much junk that way and not eat out for lack of forgetting or not wanting to think of something.

JeannieM Wed, Jan-07-04 16:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2brickie
to keep my bill running smoothly, i have printed out monthly calendar pages and write out menu each month and it really helps. i write my shopping list on back, and then the kids know whats for dinner and they love that. i guess they think of it as like their school lunch menu. it really does help save time too, as i just look each morning and take out what is needed for that night. we tend to not eat as much junk that way and not eat out for lack of forgetting or not wanting to think of something.

Ohmygod, I SO need you in my life. Will you move in with me??? I could NEVER be that well organized. :) :) :)

Jeannie

theresa113 Wed, Jan-07-04 19:12

It increased but has been offset by two things:

1. I quit smoking
2. I don't eat out as often

I probably spend less in a month due to the lifestyle change than before Atkins.

:)

TeresaV Thu, Jan-08-04 18:07

I think I spend more, but not a huge amount. Besides if you were going to a Weight loss group you would have to pay the weekly meeting fees which we don't. So you do save if you look at it that way.

jeria Thu, Jan-08-04 18:52

I am just re-starting Atkins. I lost 20 lbs last Spring and have kept most of it off since but was slipping back into eating high-carb. I have had a return of daily headaches and pain with the return to a higher carb diet. I still have 15 - 20 lbs to go.

I think the cost is about the same or less because Atkins has made me go back to planning meals and shopping better. With just the DH and I since the kids all grown up and gone meals were rather hodge-podge and shopping a pick things up on a daily basis--good way to spend extra money. Now if I can ever convince the DH to join me our cost would definately go down--- 3 half gallons of mint chip ice cream and 14 two liter bottles of Freesca a week--that would cut about $25.00!! .

I tend to just add potatoes for him and salads for me and subsitute spaghetti squash for pasta for me. I buy butter on sale and freeze -- I try to watch for arounds $1.00 a lb and Sam's has 4 or 5 packs pretty cheap. I've never been much for processed foods so I haven't tried any of the lo-carb products I just go for meats, fish, chicken, cheese, and veggies. Jeri

mommyto3 Fri, Jan-09-04 15:26

Our grocery bill has increased. I could, however, do a much better job at looking for bargains and asking for the comp price at stores that do that. I guess I'll add that to my list of 'things to do'! lol

PilotGal Fri, Jan-09-04 18:48

The only thing i've really noticed is that the price of beef has gone up tremendously. But with the Mad Cow scare, I am thinking prices should start dropping soon.
Don't buy any of those fad bars, or shakes or lo carb breads or tortilla's.. I leave those to the people that require fad foods.
I've always cooked from scratch, will always cook from scratch, and won't be taunted by fad foods.
Hopefully beef prices will begin to drop.
they're saying consumer demands are raising the price of beef... so many people on the lo carb wagon.

barbara50 Sat, Jan-10-04 21:52

increase in food bill

yes, our food bill did increase, but we use the lc shakes and lc bars regularly. I have lost 35 lbs since last June and gained 5 during the holidays of which 2 I have already gotten off. We eat lots of beef, chicken, veggies, BUT no longer buy cookies, chips and all that other junk food. We do try new lc items from time to time and also included in the food bill, is the supplements that we did not take prior to Atkins. I have been taking Basic 3, Essential Oils, and Dieter's Advantage. They are so expensive. Are there any comparables that might be cheaper and do the same? My husband has lost about 40 lbs. We feel so much better. He is 62 and I am 59. The dr has told both of us that we are in good shape, just still need to get off a few more lbs. I now weigh 148, my goal is to get down to 124 which is what I weighed 41 yrs ago when we got married. I really can't see myself that light, but I'm going for it anyway!

bzeus Sun, Jan-11-04 07:21

I haven't been buying too much of the specialty low-carb items, prefering to eat the whole foods. I think my grocery bill has dropped from about $120 per week (for our family of 4) to $85 per week.

Please keep in mind that this is Canadian funds so $35 savings actually equals about 9 cents US per week. :lol: (Just kidding!)

By skipping 90% of the grocery aisles, I'm saving so much. I find I'm just shopping on the perimeter of the store (dairy, meat, produce) so am less likely to impulse buy. I do get the occasional treat for the kids' school lunches but basically save quite a bit!

Neil Sun, Jan-11-04 16:25

Mine has gone up immensly as well....

odyssey Sun, Jan-11-04 17:20

Initially, my food bill increased as i was anxious to try all the new things and all of the things i had not been able to eat before. After i settled into the menus i enjoyed eating i noticed a downward trend in how much i spend each month.

Mabel Wed, Jan-28-04 12:43

Bump! Seems relevant...

mjsx3 Thu, Jan-29-04 18:02

Im new to the site. what does WOE stand for?
sorry