Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   U.S. (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   low carbing in Iowa (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=94477)

lené Thu, Jul-24-03 13:22

Gorilla cheese -- I love it! Will have to remember to tell my husband that one when he gets home from work tonight.

Shoot! The library has neither GO-Diet *nor* Matthew Looney. Ah, well... I'll go console myself with a mug of tea and my current read, one of two biographies of Rasputin I got from the library recently. I just boughtt and watched Alan Rickman's HBO flick "Rasputin," and it made me want to read more about the man. I love history, especially the history of the UK, Japan, Russia, and ancient Rome. (And I also love Alan Rickman! LOL)

Lene'

lené Thu, Jul-24-03 13:47

Hey, Iowagirl, I got an email saying you tried to send me a PM, but for some reason I can't access it. I suspect it is because I haven't posted 25 times yet on this board. Why not drop me a line at lenny_little~yahoo.com? That's the email I don't mind getting spam sent to (in case some spammer comes across this post on here) and from there I'll reply to you sending you my "real" email addy. <g> Then we can chat.

Lene'

redfern28 Sun, Sep-28-03 07:13

des moines, iowa here

also have found a few wonderful low-carb resources...

hy-vee in west des moines on 73rd street

and nutrition marketplace on swanson in clive (these people are awesome & very helpful - they even let you sample before you buy)

Iowagirl Wed, Oct-01-03 12:48

You know I've found our local Hy-Vee (I'm in Davenport) is starting to stock up on Atkins things as well. Imagine my amazement when I found lc tortillas! Woo hoo!

Hey, I was just in West Des Moines, yesterday for work.

Welcome to the forum, by the way!

junebug61 Mon, Oct-20-03 20:16

I bought some almond flour at my hyvee, in the health market section.

Iowagirl Wed, Oct-22-03 14:35

Isn't the health food section funny? LC bars right next to the Slim Fast. :)

SuperSue04 Sun, Feb-01-04 20:57

ADD another Iowan to the list! :wiggle:

I'm in DUBUQUE, and WE HAVE A LOW CARB STORE here!! :yay:

It is called Heartland Healthfoods, and they just opened up. They're in the KMart Plaza (we only have 1 KMart) off of I-20. The folks who run it are low-carbers and really nice, and they order everything you ask for. They also always have "samples" of things for folks to taste. Prices are good, too.

Whoo hoo! An alternative to Wal-mart and Hy-vee! :lol:

Stay warm everyone . . . I think we may have a little snow tonight . . .

Sue

Iowagirl Sun, Feb-01-04 21:37

Hey Sue! I think you are right. A friend of mine was in Des Moines, said it began snowing this morning around 6am. He called from Cedar Rapids about 7pm and said it was snowing THERE, now. From what I understand it is moving northeast so you might want to duck. :) I actually like the snow.....hope we get our share.

ZZrider Sat, Feb-07-04 13:20

Hello all :wave: . Add one more to the Iowa group. I'm new here to the forum.

I'm from Decorah, up in the NE corner of the state. I have friends in Manchester, and have lived in/near or been to most of the places mentioned. Nice to see some neighbors on here.

Iowagirl Sat, Feb-07-04 15:52

Welcome! I have been to Manchester (Backbone Park) but not Decorah. I hear you have a lovely Norweigan (is that right?) heritage up that way.

Liking the snow? :)

ZZrider Sat, Feb-07-04 18:53

There is indeed a strong Norweigan heritage up here. They let me move here because my mother was from Norway. I haven't told them she was from Norway, Iowa (about 15 miles west of Cedar Rapids) :lol:

There is plenty of snow up here right now. I don't mind it though. Actually it was pretty nice out today. I love the area up here. If you haven't made it up this way before, you should sometime. It's really quite a bit different than much of Iowa. The last glaciation missed this area so we have a lot of hills, bluffs, valleys, etc.

:wave:

Iowagirl Sun, Feb-08-04 00:31

I was just telling a friend of mine that Iowa is quite hilly, rolling land as you know. I have been to Dubuque but it was years ago. Been to the Sioux City area as well. I am originally from the Des Moines area so with the exception of like Mason City I've seen quite a bit of the state!

Are you from Decorah originally or did you come by boat like your mom? :)

ZZrider Sun, Feb-08-04 14:21

I was born and raised in Cedar Rapids, went to school at the University of Iowa in Iowa City. Lived in the Des Moines area for 5 years, then moved to Decorah ~11 yrs ago for a career opportunity.

Here is what it looks like out my back yard right now with this snow.

Also the yard in the summer, just to keep my spirits up that winter will give way to spring in a couple months.

Iowan Sun, Feb-08-04 15:32

Hey everyone!!

I am so happy to see this thread, its so nice to see people from Iowa from this board :) I live in Fairfield, and just 20 short minutes from where SubwayGirl lives, what a small world!!

My name is Hillary, I am 32 years old & have a hubby named Phil & two great boys, one who is 6 years old & one who is 3 years old.

I am doing Atkins with pretty great success, I have been ALL over the place trying to find the Almond flour, with no such luck, I did finally find the Divinchi syrups last night, so I am exited to get some of those & try them. Our Hy-Vee just started carrying the Atkins products, but the prices are outrageous!

Cant wait to get to know you guys!!!

ZZrider Sun, Feb-08-04 15:52

Hi Hillary :wave:

Nice to see another Iowan here.

I have been through Fairfield many times. Very nice place, great people. I have some friends in Des Moines who have family there in Fairfield, and we have cruised through there on some of our road trips with them. I had a female friend from there in my college days, but for the life of me I cannot remember her last name.

Have a great week!