Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Anyone following the "Heavin Formula" (aka: Curves) diet? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=69068)

Mjsturg1 Wed, Nov-13-02 09:09

Question....???

Has anyone read the book EAT RIGHT FOR YOUR TYPE?

Someone was telling me it had something to do with foods that you shouldn't eat because of your blood type...that might cause you to gain weight etc...

I didn't know if I should bother trying to read it or not?

Janeydi Wed, Nov-13-02 10:52

I have it...

and found that some things were right on the money, but it isn't so much for weight loss, its for health, although some people do lose weight on it. If you tell me your blood type I can give you a synopsis.

Amy

Mjsturg1 Wed, Nov-13-02 12:17

Thanks !!

I have O+ blood type... I am sure it says I have a sweet tooth...LOL

Schwarz Wed, Nov-13-02 12:45

Well I sure started off with a bang this morning. I was so starved that I ate 4 eggs & some leftover curried chicken from last night's supper (oink). I still felt empty so I started downing a bunch of warm water (I find that helps me feel satisfied). So...with a big breakfast and 40 oz of water sloshing around in me, I went to Curves to do my workout. I had to cut my time there short because of company coming at 10:15 am. (I ran out as soon as I did my circuits & didn't do my stretching. :nono: I'll do better on Friday.) I wanted to talk to the manager re: carbs vs fat thing too, but she was busy with other women this morning, so I'll try again next time.

Amy -yes I'm feeling better than yesterday ...the headache is only mild now. Hopefully tomorrow it'll be totally gone.

In an earlier post, Sandra had mentioned what Dr. Bernstein's diet for diabetes promoted ...low carb & low fat. I don't think the 2 really can be provided in one product ie: dressings, cheeses, etc. It's like a 'tug-of-war' rope ...when one side is pulled, the other side is automatically shortened. That's how I picture this low carb / low fat thing in my mind. Now...we can do some things to keep fats down like not eating sausages, or pork rinds, or even cheese if we need to keep fats down, but if we need to use a product that will weigh heavy on either one of the so-called 'evils', then , for the carb-sensitive person, it's best we choose low carb rather than low fat. (am I making sense?!? :daze: ). Anyway, I can do that ...stay off those high-fat foods that I love (for a while anyway). Besides, as Mj mentioned ...to the carb sensative person, fat is really not an enemy. However, too much of it could be I suppose (it only makes sense ...too much of anything is not good)

Mj - I've read that book. My uncle who was diagnosed with cancer was encouraged to read that book. He has zero fat on his body, so weightloss is really not his need. However, the dr felt that by dealing with food allergies & possibly a sensitive digestive system, my uncle would benefit from following the principles of this book. I borrowed that book from him to see what it had to say for me. According to that book, my blood-type should be virtually a vegan ...almost no animal products at all. Knowing that I am carb-sensitive, I don't think that program would really work for me ...in the area of weightloss anyway. I did read that my blood-type shouldn't eat green peppers (which make me burp like crazy) or kidney beans (which I could take them or leave them), so I don't mind leaving them out of my diet. Instead of buying the book, you may want to borrow it from your local library & see if you can get a tip or two for yourself.

For lunch today I made myself this fancy salad that I bummed the idea off from a snooty restaurant I had been to a few years ago. Spinach / slice of red onion / some walnut halves / crumbled feta cheese / 1/8 of red apple chopped up for colour / raspberry vinigarette dressing. :yum: (my favourite) I had a piece (6 oz?) of chicken breast with it. I found myself still hankering for more food ...I started thinking: Could it be that eating fruit / fruit dressings might trigger my eating cravings since they are sweet carbs? When I was on Atkins, I stayed away from fruits during Induction, but Heavin promotes a little bit of it in his 1st phase. Could it be that I am 'shooting myself in the foot' by taking in these sweet carbs? I am 'A' blood type ...but I have a sweet tooth too. :)

Well ...off to get some warm water into me to quench the hunger. Talk later!

Mjsturg1 Wed, Nov-13-02 14:17

Fruit??? I didnt see any listed there but some apple and that is high in sugar...that was probably enough to give you a headache..The only fruit I eat is cantaloupe but the book says some other ones they just aren't really my fav's except strawberries but they are out of season..

About feeling full...I have to make myself fill up on eggs and meat becuz prior to this diet, meat wasn't my main focus it was the veggies and bread of course...but you can always chomp on pork rinds...I eat sunflower seeds, it takes me time to get those open and get the seed inside so it occupies my time as well..:)

kimberjeb Wed, Nov-13-02 15:36

Curves diet PLAN or <20g?

Hi everyone,

I have been reading your posts for a couple of days now and I am going to begin the Curves diet tomorrow. However, my center is new and does not have the book yet. Janeydi gave me the basics, stick with <20g, but someone else faxed me pages from the book that included daybyday menus. Are all of you following the menus or jsut staying in <20g. Is Phase I of this identical to induction of atkins? Or can I eat anyhthing as long as carbs are less than 20g? I really appreciate everyone's help.
Kimberly

Schwarz Wed, Nov-13-02 21:36

Welcome, Kimberly!

It's wonderful to have you join us to try to figure this Heavin Formula out. It's great that you could get the basics from Amy & the menus through your other friend. I'm sure you'll be able to find out lots of info eventually that you can share with us too.

Personally, I'd like to try Heavin's menu ...I've been on the road a lot lately so I ended up resorting to what I knew through the Atkins approach ...I'm aiming to stay <20g carbs & keep an eye on my fats intake. A lot of these LC approaches are very similar to each other (minor differences at times), but Heavin has a different idea for approaching plateaus & maintaining weight that really caught my eye. I don't know if it's really important who's basic LC diet you follow to get where you want to go ...I'm hoping Heavin's approach to plateaus (& ultimately maintenance) will be the missing link I was looking for to help me reach my goal. Only time will tell I suppose. Also, with the help of the staff at Curves (as well as this forum), I'm hoping the accountability & the added information will help me to keep going.

Maybe some of you other HF'ers can let Kimberly (& me too) know if you feel it's better to go with Heavin's menu or if you think it doesn't matter at the beginning.

Just for the record: I ate 14g carbs, 74g fats & 1500 cals today. Hmmm...I'm creeping up on those fats aren't I. I think it was the nuts & the pork chop that did it. Oh well ...I plan to see if I lost any water weight tomorrow morning.

Mj -I had been thinking that the tiny bit of a small apple (about 3 carbs)would have been less carbs than the canteloupe or strawberries Heavin allows on his menu, that's why I went for it. The raspberry vinegarette only amounted to about 1.5 carbs. Do you think that little bit of sweetness could trigger my cravings?

angel45md Thu, Nov-14-02 07:09

Wlecome Kim

Glad to have you with us.
I started the Atkins diet about 4 wks ago. After 2 weeks I had only lost 2 lbs. My sister had told me that some girls where she worked was following the Curves method & losing alot of weight. I already had the book so I read it. The first week on phase one I lost 4 lbs. I followed it pretty close. The second week (last week) I only lost 2 lbs. But that's ok. At least I am still losing. I had read that some people need a jump start & I feel that is what I did. I am trying to stay at 20 - 30 carbs and not worry about the calories this week. I will let you know how I make out.

Have a great day! :wave:

Janeydi Thu, Nov-14-02 08:53

MJ, it took me a while to find the ER4YT book. It going to be difficult to condense! I do want to quote one paragraph that fit me to a tee (also O+).

"Grains and starches are the Achilles' heel of Type Os. All Type Os tend to do poorly on corn, wheat, sorghum, barley and many of their byproducts (sweeteners, etc.) These common grains have a very pronounced effect on increasing body fat in Type Os. The agglutinin in whole wheat can also aggravate inflammatory conditions."

Sound familiar? Every time I try to eat wheat again, my arthritis flares up. I stop, the pain goes away. Hmmm. If you have specific questions, you can pm me, there are pages and pages of foods and his opinion of them. Sorry. Can't do any more here.

Hey, are you ladies starting/maintaining journals?

Amy

Mjsturg1 Thu, Nov-14-02 09:54

Thanks..

Sounds like an interesting read just out of curiousity....thanks for the info...
Makes sense that this low carb diet would work for me then...
cutting out bread and I am not much for wheat anyway...

Ludik Thu, Nov-14-02 13:12

Hello Ladies!!!

Just found this thread and decided to join you :) This is my 4th week of Curves diet. Actually, I started in May, stayed on it for 6 weeks, got bored and went on Atkins. Big Mistake!!! I just stopped losing. I was counting carbs but also eating more fat. You know they say you supposed to eat a lot, if not, you do not loose. Well, that was a waste of time... I jumped of the wagon for a couple of months and now I'm doing Curves again. Back to the beginning :) After 3 weeks I lost 10 lbs. I think Curves is easy for me, because they spell all the menus. I don't eat exactly what on the list, but take it as suggestions... And one more thing... My keto sticks are darker now comparing to my "Atkins" time... And I drink the same amount of water. Go figure :)

Mjsturg1 Thu, Nov-14-02 14:02

WELCOME !!!

Glad you could join us here !!!

Schwarz Thu, Nov-14-02 21:35

So glad you joined in, Ludik.

I find it interesting that you find such wonderful success with Heavin's diet. Atkins is a good method, but I wonder if the key to success is to keep the calories down as well as the carbs. And, if we have to also keep fats in check, then this whole thing is starting to sound like the old adage "the key to loosing weight is just eating less".

I do think that eating less is necessary to some degree, however, what we put in our mouths during our meager times is important. For us carb sensitive people, it's important to make sure that we use up our calorie allowance with proteins rather than carbs. The picture slowly becomes clearer to me.

Mjsturg1 Fri, Nov-15-02 07:43

uh-oh...

Don't get hung up on calories and fat.....if you limit your calories your body might go into starvation mode....I know it's hard to keep your calories up(for me it is anyway) but I certainly do not worry about calories...I find that I still lose with more calories...and my fat intake is higher than protein but that's just how my diet will have to be due to the food that i like to eat....
feel free to peek at my fitday journal...cheats and all...LOL

I just think if you keep your focus on low carb and of course stay away from sugar and bread etc...that this diet works...

Just my opinion anyway...

Schwarz Sat, Nov-16-02 07:23

Gotta question for you all...

...do all of you HFers follow the 6 meals a day requirement of the program? Because of my travelling around this week, I've been very lax about that point of the program (I get my protein / cal / fat numbers in 3 or 4 meals, but not 6) . He says it's needed to keep the thyroid up to speed. What's your experience / input?