Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Love the cauliflower hashbrowns (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=427109)

shrink_me Mon, May-02-11 13:58

OK I'm making this right now, but I think I should have followed the measurements because I overdid it with the cauliflower and now it's taking quite a while to brown...BUT....it smells and tastes amazing!!

Elizellen Mon, May-02-11 14:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by joylorene
ok I don't have a food grater - can you just chop with a knife and get the same results?
It would work I should think. Have you a food processor? I have used mine to grate cauliflower before I got my grating machine.

scthgharpy Mon, May-02-11 14:49

maybe so, but that would be a lot of chopping. I have a hand held cheese grater. I would think a blender or food processor would work.

Rebecca123 Mon, May-02-11 23:18

I am eating these right now as I speak. I did not have a nonstick pan, so I put olive oil in the pan. These are delicious and I will make them again soon. But, they do not taste or feel like potatoes to me. Maybe because of the oil and the lack of a nonstick pan.

Old Iron Tue, May-03-11 05:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca123
I am eating these right now as I speak. I did not have a nonstick pan, so I put olive oil in the pan. These are delicious and I will make them again soon. But, they do not taste or feel like potatoes to me. Maybe because of the oil and the lack of a nonstick pan.

A nonstick pan is really important and to help with the browning don't forget to add butter. I think it's the bacon grease and butter that really make then like hashbrowns.

gweny70 Sat, May-07-11 08:17

Finally made this this morning-- so good!!!!

Aynot Sat, May-07-11 09:15

:yum: I fry my cauli very regularly, probably at least 2-3 times a week...don't really eat it any other way. :D I use butter, salt and pepper...never tried it with bacon and onion, but that sounds DELISH! I will definitely be trying this as well.

fitfuture Sat, May-07-11 21:25

Thanks for the recipe. I'll be trying them for lunch today. :)

indie Sat, May-07-11 21:42

The recipe sounds good!

I love cauli!

letsdoit Sun, May-08-11 09:21

ok I am making this as we speak. I am scared it is going to taste cauliflowery!

cherper Sun, May-08-11 15:34

I just started induction 4 days ago and i am soo gonna try these. I love cauli anyway so i'm sure i'll love it.

scthgharpy Sun, May-08-11 18:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsdoit
ok I am making this as we speak. I am scared it is going to taste cauliflowery!

They kind of do. What makes them good is the texture, even in my little breakfast bowl - I prep 5 wee breakfast tupperware things to take to work with me on saturdays, when I warmed them up, the texture was just like hasbrowns would be-no longer crispy, but just the thing with a little ketchup. Did you like them?

letsdoit Mon, May-09-11 04:47

Welllll, I ended up slicing the cauliflower instead of grating it. It tasted ok I guess, but still mostly like cauliflower. I mean it was good but I was hoping it would taste more potatoey.

I was also disappointed with the faux mashed potatoes (cauli) because it tasted so cauliflowery.

letsdoit Mon, May-09-11 04:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by scthgharpy
They kind of do. What makes them good is the texture, even in my little breakfast bowl - I prep 5 wee breakfast tupperware things to take to work with me on saturdays, when I warmed them up, the texture was just like hasbrowns would be-no longer crispy, but just the thing with a little ketchup. Did you like them?

what else do you put in your breakfast bowls?

WereBear Mon, May-09-11 06:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsdoit
Welllll, I ended up slicing the cauliflower instead of grating it. It tasted ok I guess, but still mostly like cauliflower. I mean it was good but I was hoping it would taste more potatoey.

I was also disappointed with the faux mashed potatoes (cauli) because it tasted so cauliflowery.

Then you might be a candidate for turnips, instead.

I love frying up some grated turnips with onion, and they combine with low-sugar ketchup delightfully. Plus, turnip has much more of the 'tater texture.