Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   What is going on? When did this board become the Eating disorders board?!?! (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=138397)

ian559 Sun, Sep-21-03 12:14

if this is a WOL then we also need to still support people near or already into maint. If you stop this way of life you gain it all back . I know I did it plus 10lbs. If I had had the support in maint mybee I would not have made poor choices. Its a life long change no matter what weight you weigh

Paradox Sun, Sep-21-03 12:57

okay, one thing comes to mind:
*attempt to inject a little humour into the situation*

from "family matters" a prime time television show involving a hectic family with teenage children and a pesky nerdy neighbor, steve urkel--

dad: "steve, for the last time, GO HOME."
steve: "i don't have to take this; i'm going home."

(for those who watched this show, you know what i mean! for those who didnt' i apologize... *grin*)

Willowsong Sun, Sep-21-03 13:31

Wow, reading this thread and seeing those charts sure made me rethink my goals. I might have felt my 'best' at 125, but I sure felt good at 135 too, and thats probably a little more realistic for me at 35 (well, next month) years old.

Really think Ill be happy if I can squeeze my butt into a size 6 again... and to hell with what the scale says ;)

2brickie Sun, Sep-21-03 13:50

willowsong i think your right, im 35 have two children and can wear a size 4 or a size 6 and i guess i should be glad of that, who cares what that scale says. so im going to focus on all those clothes in the closet to wear and forget about that number.

RoseTattoo Sun, Sep-21-03 15:54

I haven't read this whole thread, so I apologize if this has already been said or is irrelevant.

There are some of us who are here not because of weight but because of other issues. I for one am not and have never been significantly overweight--but my uncontrolled cholesterol and triglycerides before low carbing were as serious a health risk as being overweight. Likewise for someone who's here because of diabetes.

I can understand that people who are trying to lose substantial weight might get frustrated when those of us who have other reasons for low carbing complain. But please stay here, this is a wonderful forum and we can all help one another. The point is that low carbing works for many, many disorders--not just being overweight! Isn't that fantastic news, and a reason to celebrate?

armywife3 Sun, Sep-21-03 18:08

If you ask me we all have versions of an eating disorder. It doesn't matter if you're overweight or underweight. Both are unhealthy and both need to be treated. Anorexia is only one form of an eating disorder and often the only one people recognize. Binge eating disorder is also a very real eating disorder. It is not the same as bulimia. Atkins is a great way of eating for those who suffer from binge eating disorder because most of them are actually addicted to carb or sugar and don't realize that is what is causing them to binge eat. If you ask me if you are on this forum at all then you are here because at some point in time you've had an unhealthy relationship with food. The only difference is that most of us recognize we have a problem and some of us don't recognize it yet.

wcollier Sun, Sep-21-03 18:14

If I see another one of those "I'm going to leave this forum because....." posts, well...... I'm going to leave this forum.... ;)

Wanda

fishfish Sun, Sep-21-03 23:58

Thanks WCOLLIER. I needed a great laugh after the 4 pages of preceding drama.

Sela Mon, Sep-22-03 00:19

serrelind, Im truely sorry that I attacked you...I had no right to do so. I DO NOT think you have an eating disorder(not that my opinion matters). I checked your journal, and saw your pictures. You look fantastic, and not underweight at all. I guess I was stuck on a number or something....Frankly, I don't know what my deal was today, I think that I was just a b***ch. I truely am sorry, if you could see my heart you would know how sincere I am. :)

As far as people saying anyone can post on this board...I agree, I had a bad moment, or two, or three :rolleyes: but it was all in about an hour...so I had a bad hour :rolleyes: OK I suck! I freaked out, and then people started saying stuff and then I got in the flesh attacking back rather then listening to what they were actually saying :( Anyways, in hindsight, I think I was a complete jerk :bash: I mean, I reread what I said, and Im like whats your problem woman!?? :mad: I wish I could erase this day :cry: but I can't so I hope you can all find it in your hearts to forgive me. I know that people come to this board for other reasons then MINE, I guess I was just lookng at MY reason for coming to this forum, rather then other peoples point of view(coming here for support for weight management, or a better way of eating ect..not just losing weigh). I see my error, thanks to all of you for waking me up and making me take notice.

Archie Mon, Sep-22-03 00:29

*****THIS FLAME HAS BEEN EXTINGUISHED*****
For further info go to

Getting Along

geo53562 Mon, Sep-22-03 01:04

Darn! Go out of town for a couple of days, and you miss the whole brawl...guess that'll teach me!

serrelind Mon, Sep-22-03 04:55

sela, thanks.

i'm glad you saw my pics and realize i do not look at all underweight. to most asian people, i'm not considered thin at all, or even on the lower end of the weight number guideline lol. as i'd said to another friend, in that part of the world where i was born, i've been complimented for being so "big" and "healthy" :roll: (and yes being "big" is a compliment in that part of the world). i could lose another 5 or 10 lbs and still would not look too thin. asian tend to have a very small frame.

at any rate, it takes some guts to come out and offer an apology like that. but what's in the past is in the past. we all say things in the heat of the moment we later regret. i'm glad you are not taking this too seriously and that you are going to stick around. this board is for support and it benefits us all.

anyway, all is forgotten!

have a nice day! :)

NoSunNoFun Mon, Sep-22-03 08:55

Welcome back Sela,
Nice follow up... :)

NoSunNoFun

wcollier Mon, Sep-22-03 09:20

Sela, you're pretty "OK" in my books!!! We all make mistakes and have bad days, it's how we deal with them in the aftermath that shows true character. Glad you decided to stay.

Wanda

retrochiq Mon, Sep-22-03 09:22

I just wanted to say that ...I found this forum in June 2003 and it has been a great place to come for advice and support. I may not agree with some people and some people may not agree with me but that's life. You can't pls. everyone right?. I do appreciate all different viewpoints, which I find interesting...and will be staying on this board for a long time!
Jess