Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   What trigger foods do you have to stay away from? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=137893)

beachmum Sat, Nov-15-03 21:20

Just reading this post is making me want to binge....on ALL of it!!! LOL!!!

potatofree Sat, Nov-15-03 21:39

Sugary cereal... or any cereal really.... I let my son choose his own cereal every third box, and without fail, he chooses something like Cinnamon Toast Crunch <drool> I got so desperate I actually TRIED the idea in the recip fourm involving pork rinds, butter, cinnamon and Splenda..."Tastes just like it" they said....<shudder>

Actually, his last choice was, of all things, Raisin Bran..<shrug> Next reward meal, I had to have some! I guess it beats Krispy Kremes, but it set me off just the same. I feel like sticking my head in like a feedbag!

cmorera Sun, Nov-16-03 01:37

-Peanut Butter (natural no sugar added, or regular, either one)

-Spaghetti (with Tomate sauce)

-Low Carb chocolate (lol, eat just one?)

-Pizza (this is an all time favorite from back in my day, so I am still partial to it, haven't had any lately though)

BTW I quit Splenda, caus I was having trouble with it, now I use a natural herb Stevia which I think is 10 times better, it doesn't throw your body into sugar withdrawl immediately like Splenda did.
I am considering mixing heavy creame, cocoa power and Stevia to make something delicious. Maybe throw in some Walnuts into there too as well.

BTW Walnuts are the only safe nut to eat, without sugar. Plus they have Omega-3 which is also beneficial.

jaybee007 Sun, Nov-16-03 06:00

LC ice cream is very much the devil in this house. The sugar alcohol in it really made me stall. OK, so I ate it in copius amounts during the summer, but I digress...lol

Hope1 Sun, Nov-16-03 06:31

I'm half Irish and half Italian. Guess my weakness. STARCH!!!!! Pasta, bread, potatoes, tortillas, orzo, cous cous, shells, scalloped, crumpets, mashed, toasted, fried, crunchy coatings, egg noodles, homemade dinner rolls, Ace baguettes, whole wheat pita and on and on and all covered with butter and cheese and cheese and butter and starch and yummy and...and...whew! I'm full.

Smudgie Sun, Nov-16-03 06:45

Unfortunately, most fruits do it for me, too. Blueberries and grapefruit are the only ones I can eat. No cereals, either. I can tolerate an occasional piece of bread, but even a small bowl of bran cereal for breakfast, makes me hungry all day long. :(

doreen T Sun, Nov-16-03 08:39

Crispy, salty, fried starch snack foods ... potato chips, nacho chips, Cheezies ... and it has to be the regular boiled in fat kind, none of that "baked not fried" horror. Who are they kidding???

It's strange, but I don't crave those things unless they're in front of me .. aroma is the trigger. At that point, self-control has been known to fly out the window, and my hand will move back and forth from bag to mouth like some mindless automaton, pre-programmed to gluttony.

It's easing up as time goes on, so there is hope. I've found that many once-craved foods simply do not live up to the memory. Except chips, at least .. not yet :daze:

Doreen

Frederick Sun, Nov-16-03 10:54

For me, it's got to be chocolate. I just think chocolate is far and away the single greatest flavor in the world. I've come to realize that lifetime abstinence from chocolate is neither realistic or desirable for me. So, from the to time, I've got to have my chocolate chunks, with chocolate ice cream topped with chocolate syrup, and washing them all down with a chocolate shake.

Another thing is pizza. I know many here have been able to stifle the urge with the pizza quiche--which I do find fabulous by the way. It's just that, for me, there is no substitute for the bread crust in pizza. I never realized how important simple things can be and that truly in most things I like, it's truly the little things which makes all the difference. Kind of like, that little dash of sugar in a cafe mocha, the bread in pizza, real pasta under alfredo, etc....that's what I miss most and probably triggers my zest to enjoy again all those culinary delights that were such a prevalent part of my daily eating experience.

angieK Sun, Nov-16-03 11:32

Some of the things I can't go near is Pizza, SF bars of any kind and breads. They are get me wanting more.
angie

Bebet Sun, Nov-16-03 11:48

I found out this week, pasta, and french bread, just one bite and everything gets shot to hell....salty chips and dip can get out of hand also.