Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   For those people on atkins for 1 month or longer - Hardest thing to give up? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=137477)

tholian8 Tue, Sep-16-03 15:56

BEER...especially, for me, the English bitters. My bad luck that I moved from Philly to LONDON!

<sigh>

Emily

armywife3 Tue, Sep-16-03 15:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMonty
I eat out a lot and miss certain appetizers and *sigh* beer. I do have an occasional Mich Ultra.

MsMonty

I did not give up beer. I just switched to the ultra and it has given me no problems at all.

armywife3 Tue, Sep-16-03 15:58

I FORGOT to say cereal!! I just don't even miss it anymore but I used to eat boatloads of cornflakes. I craved cereal so bad I would have to get up at 2 or 3 am and eat 3 bowls of cornflakes.

sunspine17 Tue, Sep-16-03 16:04

Yes! Every time the baby woke up in the middle of the night my "reward" was a bowl (or two or three) or Captain Crunch with Crunch berries! Sometimes she woke up 2-3 times a night! At the time I would have told you "But I NEED it. I helps me go back to sleep!" Yeah, right . . .

jaybee007 Tue, Sep-16-03 16:14

Caffeinated coffee. In fact i`ve yet to do it...lol

tholian8 Tue, Sep-16-03 16:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybee007
Caffeinated coffee. In fact i`ve yet to do it...lol

Wow--my hat is off to you! I could not give up my coffee, even on Induction. (Couldn't give up booze either, which is why I'm calling my plan "Modified Atkins.")

I know my weight loss is going slower than it would have if I'd quit drinking coffee, wine and whisky. But it became a quality of life issue and I had to ask myself what was "sustainable" over the long term. :rolleyes:

Emily

shrtsh1t Tue, Sep-16-03 16:28

I have to say...and this is just keeling me thinking about it...but FRESH out of the oven Chocolate Chip Cookies...um...yeah.

Skyangel Tue, Sep-16-03 16:34

Bread, Cereal, Sweets ... I was so addicted to sugar.

I spent 4 days last week a a conference and came very close to weakening and having the cheesecake served for dessert one night, but finally resisted. I compensated with 2 cups of decaf coffee with cream and Splenda (took my own Splenda), made it home with 1 lb loss ...

Rachelle - pm me for a LC tiaramisu recipe

Kim

serrelind Tue, Sep-16-03 16:36

good for you for staying strong, Sky! :)

jmarionw Tue, Sep-16-03 18:02

Millstone columbian coffee with sugar and creamer. Chinese food (we have good buffets here!). And eating at the Bohemian Cafe - smoked sausage, dumplings, sweet and sour cabbage all covered with gravy, and their delicious rye bread and beer.

Swoozie Tue, Sep-16-03 18:13

It's going to sound strange, but for about the first 4 months all I wanted was a purple gumball. My wonderful husband finally came home with a box of vitaballs (vitamins for kids...in gumball form!) and only 4 carbs! It's the best 4 carbs I've ever eaten!!
Suzy :)

Michael_R Tue, Sep-16-03 20:28

I miss in the most horrible way virtually everything on a chinese buffet... lo mein and fried rice the most!

Dstar96920 Tue, Sep-16-03 21:22

I really want some Doritos. I remember them as being so wonderful. They are like a dream to me now...I remember eating them all the time, back when I was much much heavier and miserable. Don't miss em so much now :)

intastella Tue, Sep-16-03 21:22

I find that I rarely crave anything high carb anymore, and I am not tempted by them either...BUT, when the holidays roll around, I think it will be hard to pass up homemade stuffing and my moms amazing christmas cookies!

Paradox Tue, Sep-16-03 23:53

p a s t a . . .

when you marry way young, and live from day to day not knowing when your next meal will come, or the money to buy it, pasta becomes the absolute cheapest and most filling way to eat next to rice and beans. i have eaten pasta in some form (and believe me i have come up with HUNDREDS of yummy and creative and "healthy" *ahem* ways of serving the stuff) almost every day for years because it was about the cheapest thing you can buy. what's cheaper, a case of store-brand macaroni and cheese on sale, or enough fresh veggies for one day? DING! you got it! the nasty pasta with nasty additives. i could make it taste good though, i have a knack. and before you knew it, i had an addiction too... now it is challenging to have the main staple of my diet removed. we could never really afford to buy meat, but chopped up small and stirred in with pasta, it goes a long way... most days i feel like i am eating the stir-ins (compare with how you might feel about eating a dishful of ketchup and you'll know kinda what i'm talking about) with the meal missing. :lol: anyways, that's what i miss. the THOUGHT of trying to go to my husband's fave restaurant (the "OLIVE GARDEN-" might as well call it the "EVIL DEN OF CARB-MONGERS," or the "GET-FAT-QUICK GARDEN") makes me feel shaky and weak. why is it his favorite? because i can cook everything on the %#^~ menu at home but he doesn't have to do the dishes afterwards!! arrrghh!!!!!