Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=106)
-   -   Breastfeeding mothers... (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=136092)

champion67 Tue, Nov-18-03 23:28

April,

I think it's great to be a runner. My brother who is in great shape has been a runner for years. I had trouble with one of my knees as a kid so I guess I'm always thinking of that when I exercise. I know that my Mom (76 years old) still jogs in place every day for 20 minutes. She's been doing it for over 30 years! Well she's a little slower at it now, but she's still doing it! I gotta give her a lot of credit.

My joints are 10 years older than yours too, but at 26 I sure was out dancing a lot! But I weighed 128 back then! Oh those were the days....eat anything and not gain. (or so I thought!) Well it caught up to me but at least now I'm finally doing something about it.

Hope everyhting is good with you and Jakob.

"Talk" to you soon,
Teresa

jaybird Thu, Nov-20-03 19:58

Teresa,
That's cool about your mom still jogging in place every day.
I have some knee trouble too, knee pain and cracking actually. But I talked to the doctor I had about two years ago (I weighed about 198 then I think)...she had me get x-rays but nothing is wrong with my knees. She said I just need to lose weight to take the strain off them.
Here I am two years later still overweight. Oh well, I'm getting there. I really enjoy running! I haven't done it on a regular basis since I was 15. I ran Saturday and Sunday, but not since. I was just going to take Monday and Tuesday off, but then Wednesday morning I woke up with a horrible stiff neck. I will try to get up early tomorrow and run, we shall see.
Jakob and I are doing well...Jakob had his 9 month well baby check. He weighs 23lbs 14oz and is 29 3/4 inches long! He is exploring more solids food...he ate a whole strawberry the other day. How is Rebekah? And the rest of the family?
I went a little too high on carbs today, but at least it wasn't processed junk. Had a little too much fruit and nuts. I will think about that when I run tomorrow!

champion67 Thu, Nov-20-03 23:39

April,

Rebekah is doing really well. She had been sick last month and lost 11 oz!! She only weighed 17 lbs 3 oz to begin with at 9 mos. But she's putting it back on now. She'll be 1 next month. Wow how the time does fly!

What are your plans for Thanksgiving? I think I'll do a turkey. I am going to make stuffing but I'll use Village Hearth lite bread instead. It has 5 carbs per slice as opposed to 20-25! Plus I'll use more celery and zucchini for filler. I think I'll make a LC version of pumkin pie though. I found a great recipe for pumpkin cheesecake that tastes like a richer version of pie. Or I'll just sub the sugar with stevia/Splenda and omit the crust. It's my birthday too that day, but I don't know if I want cake or not. If I do then I'll schedule myself a blow out! I don't miss the sweets though because I've found so many good substitute recipes, so I'm really not going without.

I think I've been doing ok. I don't count carbs anymore. I did for 3 months to get in the habit of eating this way. If I get off track then I count for a couple of days. I lost 3 lbs last week so it's still working. I average 1 pound/week and I'm very happy with that.

I'd like to start to lift weighs as I notice my legs are getting softer. As I lose they seem to be LESS firm. Go figure??? I have to agree with you though, my arms aren't too bad with lifting the baby all day.

Well I best get to bed. Morning comes early! Plus Rebekah doesn't sleep well yet, but most nights she's getting better.

Teresa

linilinda Fri, Nov-21-03 07:47

Welcome Natalie and hello to everyone! I've been MIA for the past month - getting over laringitis and other minor setbacks. Still maintaining the weight we've lost, but not being motivated enough to really stick to the program 100% in order to drop more.

:) Linda

byrdie16 Fri, Nov-21-03 08:46

Can I join too?

Hi Ladies,
My name is Carol. I have 3 children. My oldest, James, just turned 3 on 11-1. Olivia is almost 16 months and Casandra is almost 4 months old. I nurse Casey and haven't started solid foods yet with her.
I did Atkins diet about 5 years ago and lost 35#. Then after being married 15 years and diagnosed with PCOS, you guessed it, I got pregnant. And pregnant, and pregnant! Ha! :lol: My heaviest weight was when I delivered my last baby.
My husband and I started LC again 3 weeks ago and I've lost 9# since. We're both doing well. He can eat more carbs than I and still lose. But this is the first time we're doing it togather. I can say that we've both been enjoying it. Hope you don't mind me lurking. I don't have an overabundance of time without children hanging onto me, calling, staying safe, etc.
Carol

champion67 Fri, Nov-21-03 16:36

Welcome Carol,

I did LC too 5 years ago and lost 30#. I have noticed with breastfeeding that it comes off slower for me. But I figure as long as it's coming off, then I'm happy. I didn't want to lose milk supply. Some women do and others don't. It looks like you have your hands full with 3 little ones! I can't imagine when you'd ever have a chance to even sit down! Glad you're here and doing so well.

Men can eat more it seems and they always lose faster than us. I read somewhere that we have an extra layer of fat. In my case it's two or three layers I think!! But they're melting each week.

Teresa