Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Comical fast food orders (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=108677)

spongebutt Wed, Sep-24-03 20:24

I went to BK today and ordered a bacon cheeseburger, sans bun, veggies, and condiments, and they automatically gave me a fork, knife, and put it in a box. She even asked me if I was on Atkins. No blank stares!

Bess Thu, Sep-25-03 09:11

Hi Everyone:

So glad I found this forum (with help from Shadow1)!
I have a dumb question. I have had a problem ordering from fast food joints too. I have only tried it at Tim Horton's ( which is a donut shop in Canada that sells sandwiches at lunch). I asked for chicken salad in a bowl instead of in a sandwich. I got a lot of attitude. So I finally said I am allergic to bread! That's when they gave it to me. Now they know me and it is no problem. (Not everyone in Canada know atkins like you have found in the states!) But if you say you are allergic..... they bust their butts to help you! Funny!

How bad is it to order 6 nuggets from McDonalds' if you are in a hurry. Does it really screw you up on your diet? What are the carbs for that without sauce?
Anyone know?

Tiggerdy Thu, Sep-25-03 09:46

There's 16 ECC in 6 small McNuggets-- not worth the trouble if you ask me. ;) Any other nutritional info regarding McD's food is available on their website-- USA and Canada (although the Canada site isn't quite finished yet).

It might be wise to carry some goodies in your purse/bag for those hurried situations. Lord knows part of an icky dirt bar (protein bar) or small servings of nuts have saved my booty once or twice.

HTH-
Nikki

Edited: The beauty of the US McD's nutrition site is that you can customize items to find out what their ECC will be once you're "Atkinized" it. A Quarterpounder w/Cheese goes from 36 to 1 once you've ditched the onions, ketchup and bun. :)

IthinkIcan Thu, Sep-25-03 11:26

I've noticed ordering a lc fast food isn't a big deal anymore. Most places are onto us now :) But I can tell you that 3 years ago when I first done Atkins, it was a pain in the rear. I can't count how many times I hassled with people to get an order right back then. My 2 most outrageous was breakfast at Micky D's. They have the big breakfast platter. I felt it would be easier than ordering the meat and eggs as sides or a biscuit sandwich w/o the bread. So I told them I wanted the platter with no hashbrown or biscuit. The lady didn't understand the first few times. So I after she understood what I said, she said, but it comes with it. I said, I know and I want it w/o it. She told me simply, we cannot do that. :nono: Finally the person standing in line behind me spoke up and said, punch in the platter regular, once it's made, reach in it and pull out the hashbrown and biscuit, toss it in the trash and give her the rest. He and I were both laughing when she got so angry and told me "well you still have to pay for those things!" I was like...yea...fine, just get what I asked for lol
Other one was taco bell. I ordered a taco salad no beans and extra meat and cheese. Took it back as it had beans on it, not much, like someone made the mistake, then took most of them off. So I am waiting for a new one to be made and the person behind the counter said you must be on that diet where you can't eat beans n bread and stuff. I nodded. She said, well just so you know, that shell is bread. I laughed and thanked her for the information but explained it was merely a bowl to hold it all in. She looked at me like...suuuurrrreee.

And I totally gave up back then when asking for ingredients at places that served say, tuna salad, because it'd take 15 mins to check with every employee and finally find out no one really knew what was in it.

adkpam Thu, Sep-25-03 12:02

The first time I ordered breakfast at the local cafeteria it was the same way...but it come with it/but I don't want it...round and round.

Always reminded me of the famous Jack Nicholson scene in "Five Easy Pieces"

RoseTattoo Thu, Sep-25-03 16:30

LOL~ adkpam!

I've been successful at Whole Foods ordering a sandwich without the bread--they roll the whole kit and kaboodle up in a romaine lettuce leaf.

Now I'd like to try that at a pizza place, LOL.

Annie-Pie Thu, Sep-25-03 17:51

Quote: Finally the person standing in line behind me spoke up and said, punch in the platter regular, once it's made, reach in it and pull out the hashbrown and biscuit, toss it in the trash and give her the rest. He and I were both laughing when she got so angry and told me "well you still have to pay for those things!" I was like...yea...fine, just get what I asked for lol

Isn't that just a hoot? I haven't seen Five Easy Pieces, but if it's anything reminiscent of the scene above, I would probably just crack up. It's not as if you were being rude to the lady, you simply wanted her to take away.

Let's see... Three, take away 1, is 2. But if it isn't made that way, how can they think of taking them out?

I have found our McD's in the Seattle areas are getting a bit easier to order from now.

Bess: You are so right! If we're diabetic, we can say so and they shut up. If we LC, out come the stares (Bring 'em on, baby)! So "I'm allergic to those ingredients" is another way they hear "I may be liable for a lawsuit if I serve this and they croak right here and now!"

Hugs to all, Annie-Pie

Bess Tue, Sep-30-03 14:26

Tiggerdy.... thanks for the carb count on the nuggets!
Didn't think it would be THAT bad! I will definitely have to bring some pepperettes or cheese strings!

For everyone, another question.....
I still do the Diet pepsi & Diet Coke thing. Is that bad too?
How about diet soda? Do you still drink it? and if you do .....what kind? Especially at the fast food joints!

sexyme562 Tue, Sep-30-03 14:57

If you go to In & N Out, they have a term called the protien burger, its evrything without the bun. Its a hidden type of food they have thereon the menu.

sexyme562 Tue, Sep-30-03 15:00

If you are watching your carb intake the craving for sodas and sweets should be goning away, if gone by now. I drink an energy drink that I sell. Its called XS. and it comes in 4 flavors and caffeine free.
No carbs also and loaded with B12's

di52 Wed, Oct-01-03 07:24

Two things about fast food LC: 1) I think Burger King's salads are better than McD's, and B) try oredering McD's Breakfast Burrito without the tortilla! It can't be done because they make them up ahead of time,so I buy 2 and unroll them and scrape all the insides out onto a plate and leave the tortillas.

AzureMoon Wed, Oct-01-03 11:31

I was at a restaurant in Annapolis, Maryland, recently. They had a Reuben on the menu that sounded very good. One of my companions ordered one. I ordered one, too, but without the bread and without the Russian dressing, just the corned beef, sauerkraut and Swiss cheese. The waiter didn't bat an eye when I ordered it that way.

A few minutes go by and the owner come out of the kitchen to verify the order since the waiter was new. Yes, I did not want the bread or the dressing. He said ok, turned and shook his head, mumbling that he'd never served one like that before.

Out comes some thick sliced corned beef with sauerkraut and melted Swiss cheese - yummm it was marvelous!

Bess Fri, Oct-03-03 09:45

I was doing great and now I am up a couple of pounds and i am wondering why?

The only thing I ate that might be a problem is a salad from Wendy's. I got rid of the croutons, and didn't use the dressing. I used Mayo - real mayo - and used it instead of dressing. I ate everything in the salad but the small tomatoes since i don't like fresh tomatoes. Is that too many carbs for dinner? I am on PP and have a 10 carbs per meal limit!
Help!:) Thanks.

Tiggerdy Fri, Oct-03-03 09:48

I wouldn't think that you went over. However, if you want to be absolutely sure, go to Wendy's website and see what the nutritional info is on the salad you ate and just subtract out what you didn't eat.

Good luck!
Nikki

Annie-Pie Fri, Oct-03-03 11:45

Hey friends,
It really helps me to read your posts, your experiences. We all can learn from each other!

Hey Bess, since you like pop so much, have you ever taken seltzer water and added a bit of s/f syrup? That's awesome and gives you the carbonation you want without the aspartame and possible bloated feeling from it.

Azure, Wow! Excellent idea about the sandwich. I can just see the owner wondering how that new waiter could've messed up!

Bess, don't fret please about 2#. We don't like to see it, but over the longrun, it will slowly disappear. Could've been water retention, TOM if applicable, or even a reaction to an ingredient. The key thing is that you are being so mindful of what you eat. That is what counts for sure!
Keep up the good work and being a great role model.

Annie-Pie :wiggle: