Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Cocktails - low carb ones? Any out there? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=103777)

aeon077 Wed, May-28-03 19:51

Recipe for Jello Shots

Take any SugarFree jello, and choose your damage. My favorite is Strawberry SF jello with Rum.

Heat a cup of water and mix in with the jello...stir until it disolves.

In a measuring cup pour in the amount of liquor that you want in it. I usually add about 3/4 cup for the whole batch, some may not like it so strong. For the remainder of the cup I add ice, you can add cold water if you want, the ice just helps it set faster. This amount that you add in should all equal ONE more cup.

Pour 1-2 oz in small dixie cups. Each box of jello should make about 11 shots. I usually try to find the plastic dixie cups. The paper ones disolve easily.

Put them all on a tray and put em in the fridge! Let them set and enjoy!

fine Thu, May-29-03 10:45

Ummmm :yum:
Tis my 40th birthday on Sunday and am celebrating this Saturday nite with BIG party with loadsa friends, I have bought the frozen raspberries to blitz, but don't know where I can find the drink mixes and am still trying to find them but if not I shall improvise. Martini's are definately on the list of must haves, and also tequilas, I am putting jugs of Bloody Mary's and the Virgin ones too out on the tables outside instead of fruit punches, The food will be hardly any carby things - sandwiches for those who want though, but mainly things like chicken drumsticks, meatballs (lc ones of course), veggies to dip in lc dips, sausages on cocktail sticks with the cheese and pickled onions... oh and sf jelly and icecream or cream
Champaigne is quite high in carbs isn't it....? I would like just one tiny weeny glass that night.
What say you guys? can you think of anything else in the drinkie line and in the food line? Oh and then a fantastic hangover cure would go down a treat for Sunday........tee hee

aeon077 Thu, May-29-03 10:54

How about wine! I love Chardonnay..sp?
I also like the Canada Dry Raspberry Tonic with Vodka, or if you prefer, Gin.
There is also Michelob Ultra, 2.6 carbs/bottle. I heard through the grapevine about some really low carb version of smirnoff ice, but I have yet to find it.
There are lots of low carb mixers you can buy online, like margarita and pina colata. I havnt tried them yet though.

fine Thu, May-29-03 11:12

Oh yes I like Chardonnay too and it's a nice long drink mixed with sparkling water (Spritzer we call that mix, do you too?)
Unfortunatey I have left it too late to order online but I shall remember for Christmas or whenever. I have also not seen Michelob Ultra - mind you I haven't been down the beer aisle in the supermarkets for yonks so don't know what's there - I shall look
I thought that Canada Dry was a ginger ale.... golly in America it seems you can just about get anything & yay we're going in October for a holiday - well Alaska.
thanks aeon077

oh what is sp? you mentioned it after Chardonnay

Fi

aeon077 Thu, May-29-03 11:32

Hi Fine!
Sp just refers to Spelling...as in...i didnt know if my spelling was correct.
I didnt notice that you are from England! Well hello from FLorida! If your stores carry Michelob, then they SHOULD carry Michelob Ultra. It has become extremely popular here. Just about all my friends drink it....lo carbers or not!
Canada Dry has also always been known for carrying a line of tonic waters. It doesnt have to be Canada Dry though. You can try any tonic water, sparkling water, spritzer, etc.... Good old Gin and Tonic!
I hope you have fun in Alaska. Ive never been. Its pretty far away!

Iowagirl Thu, May-29-03 12:26

Food idea...chop olives (either kind) into cream cheese, stuff this into celery sticks.

bostonkarl Thu, May-29-03 12:37

fine --

For heavens sake, have that glass of champaigne on your 40th! I can't imagine that champaigne has any more carbs than wine, which isn't a heavy hitter when consumed in moderation. Just make sure it isn't sweet (look for "dry" or "brut") and you're set. How much does a champaigne glass hold, anyways? Not much.

After the fun of the pop and a toast to your longevity, swich over to something else.

:-)

Iowagirl Thu, May-29-03 12:39

And if I forget to say so on Sunday...... :bday: !!!!

Bogus Thu, May-29-03 14:34

I didn't read all the posts, so I hope I'm not repeating what someone else might have already said. But here goes. I have a friend who has been lowcarbing for a long time. He used to love margaritas. Now he used Diet Mt. Dew as a mixer with his Cuervo Gold and swears it tastes like the real thing. You might give it a try.

aeon077 Thu, May-29-03 18:01

Bogus...that is a really good idea! I love Dt. Mountain Dew to begin with.
Thanks!

fine Mon, Jun-02-03 10:26

Thanks Iowagirl for your wishes
I had my champers, and many more and a margerita and red wine and I had a huge thumping headache the next day but was defs worth it - I had 35 people round and we party'd till dawn, :Party: got a nice bruise and carpet burn on my cheekbone and my eye is half closed (not quite a good ol shiner) I got drunk I fell down :daze: - oh well. Apparently it was quite amusing.
Oh I haven't dared go on the scales since Saturday - tomorrow is another day!

Iowagirl Mon, Jun-02-03 10:42

I guess you can tell how good the party was by how many bruises were left behind! Glad you had fun! :D

Shellyf34 Mon, Jun-02-03 11:19

I hope you had a fab birthday!! :Party: :bday:

Yes, it is easy to overendulge when lowcarbing as alcohol just seems to go to work faster! :rolleyes:

You should have jumped on the scale in the AM! You were probably so dehydrated you were down another half stone. ;) Temporarily of course...

We are moving over to the UK next summer, so find all the lowcarb alternatives for me! I hope to be at goal by then...

~Shelly

ScareBuff Mon, Jun-02-03 12:18

Saw some folks asking about Jell-O shots and just had to toss in my two pennies:

Well, essentially, you substitute liquor for water in a regular Jell-O recipe, usually at less than half and half.

So basically, for example:

1 Large box of Jell-O (4 cup size)
2 Cups of boiling water
2 Cups of Vodka

Dissolve the Jell-o into the boiling water. Let cool, then add the Vodka. Pour into molds (small party cups or cupcake pan with paper liners) and chill until firm.

Now, you can add less or more booze to your liking. This basic recipe gives them too strong an alcohol taste in my opinion. Also, with different flavors of Jello and different alcohol, you can make lots of different kinds. My personal fave is the Margarita Shot:

1 large box (4 cup size) or two small boxes (2 cup size) of Lime Flavor Jell-O.
2 cups boiling water
1/2 cup cold water
1 cup Tequila
1/2 cup Triple Sec

Dissolve the Jell-o into the boiling water. Add cold water, Tequila, and Triple Sec. Chill until firm. Yummy!

There are thousands of recipes. If you can let me know what kind of alcohol you would like to use, I'm sure I can think of a recipe or two. Who said hanging out with frats wouldn't amount to anything? :)

CuervoGold Mon, Jun-02-03 14:11

Thanks to Aeon and Scarebuff for the Jello Shot recipes! I'm going to try these! They sound like fun!

And, Bogus -- I've tried tequila and Diet Mt. Dew. I've also tried tequila with diet grapefruit soda. Both make a darned good mock margarita. I pass on the salt, and I don't use the blender, but to each his or her own. Anyway, one sounds good right now!

CG