Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Very Very Newbie Needs Help Please (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=76556)

wordlady Thu, Dec-26-02 20:10

I think you won't know that until you give this a fair chance. If you'd like to; look upon this as a scientific comparison. My stats are not far off of yours. May I ask your height?

My body HATES to lose weight; but I know so many people that have lost weight on this, and personally, I LOVE being able to EAT. My energy is higher too, that's for sure.

I want to remind you too....I don't know your age, but I am now 40 years old. In my 20's my body responded to ANY diet plan with wild enthusiasm and cooperation. Now it just sort of laughs at me, like, "You're NOT serious". My point is, it's not really fair to compare how our bodies lose weight with how it did a long time ago.

I'm on my 6th week. I've lost 5 pounds. I'm going to keep going. I will win in the end. Patience is the key. I am MORE stubborn!!!

Lisa N Thu, Dec-26-02 20:32

Quote:
Originally posted by wordlady
Patience is the key.

Bingo, wordlady! Patience and persistance are the key in this WOE and WOL. Like you, I could lose weight much more easily when I was in my mid 20's than I can now that I'm in my early 40's. I just couldn't stick with it and keep it off. I figure that at this point, my fat and my body are such good friends that they won't be easily separated. Metabolism naturally slows down as you age too and that makes things more difficult. Weight resistance training helps with that by adding more fat burning muscle and increasing your metabolism.

hungryone...be patient. With a goal of 25 pounds to lose, you can realistically expect to lose about 2-3 pounds during induction. The less you have to lose, the more slowly it will come off.

hungryone Thu, Dec-26-02 22:33

I hear ya!!!!

I am 55 years young. The last time I dieted was when I was 49. That is when I went down to 126!!! You mean it may take me two months to loose 5 lbs? nooooooooooo I don't want to hear that lol :eek: did you hear my scream? Sure, I love that I can eat steak, butter, eggs, and all the no no's I couldn't before, but geeeeee..........according to the book, I should loose about 10 pounds in the first two weeks!!!! Guess it doesn't work like that, eh?

wordlady Fri, Dec-27-02 07:41

Repeat after me, "The glass is half full" "The glass is half full" "The glass is half full" LOL The average you can expect to lose is above, 10% of what you need to lose during the first 2 weeks. I lost 4 pounds in the first 2 weeks, and I FELT so much better after that 2 weeks was over!!

Hang in there....find the silver lining!!!

Lisa N Fri, Dec-27-02 07:58

Hungryone...

I didn't mean to discourage you, just give you a realistic picture of what to expect so that you don't throw in the towel thinking that low carb doesn't work for you. Everyone loses at different rates and a lot can happen with your body and your metabolism in 6 years. Also, each time you lose weight only to regain it (yo-yo dieting), the weight comes off harder and more slowly each time. Some people do lose 10 pounds in the first few weeks, but those are generally the ones that start out having a lot of weight to lose. I started out needing to lose 120 pounds and if I remember correctly, I lost about 6 of them during the first couple of weeks and right now I'm averaging about 1 lb per week; some weeks nothing at all, some weeks more than 1 lb. so it averages out.
If you wind up losing nothing at all during induction, let us know and we'll do everything we can to track down the trouble. Low carb isn't necessarily a fast way to lose weight, but it is a WOE and WOL that many find a lot easier to stick with than starving on low fat. It might also be helpful if you started a journal and posted your daily meals so that those with more experience can take a peek and make suggestions. Keep at it!

hungryone Fri, Dec-27-02 22:11

oops!!!!!!!!!??????????

I have been having creamcheese. I thought it was fine, as it says in induction to have smoked salmon and creamcheese roll ups. I spoke to another member today who said NO. Also I have been frying some things??? another NO. OOOOOOOOOOPS????

icedancer Fri, Dec-27-02 22:32

According to the Carb calc on this very website, Cream cheese is 0.7 carbs per .oz

Frying is fine so long as you don't bread things with flour or cornmeal or any grain.... That's why the other day some one told you to use crushed pork skins, 0 carbs!!!

Over to your right side of this screen is some very useful Quick links, one of the is the Carlbohydayte Counter and Hidden Carb inspector!

You are doing fine, just keep asking and learning! :wave:

Carl

hungryone Fri, Dec-27-02 23:18

fry in oil or butter?

getting pork rinds.........will continue to fry. can i eat the fat on steaks? i steamed some chops tonight and used herbs on them.....ewwwwwwwww tastless!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!gained one pound this morning. will continue to try, though. thanks for the support!!!!!! having salmon tomorrow. sick of eggs eggs eggs

Talon Sat, Dec-28-02 05:42

Some people do not like frying foods since it may destroy some of the nutrional benifits of the good fats in the meat - plus the good or bad qualities of the oil you use.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...&threadid=60558

As far as cream cheese goes - according to the www.atkinscenter.com website it is AOK: :thup: Take a look:

http://atkinscenter.com/Archive/2001/12/15-464579.html

icedancer Sat, Dec-28-02 10:20

Frying

Personally, I will fry my bacon in the morning, then fry my eggs in the bacon drippings. I pour off the bacon dripping in to a container just like my ole granny still does to this day, she's 96! The very heart of this diet is that you can have all the fat you want.....

Have you got the Atkins book yet? It really is worth the read! You won't know if your doing the diet right unless you do so. Though this forum really does have a lot of good info, it's important for you to really "know" some from the book yourself just so the, "He said this, and she said that's" are something you will begain to be able to sort out for yourself, not every one is an expert! :daze:

later

Carl

DDMariana Sat, Dec-28-02 11:52

I agree, and even after you get all the book knowledge, remember that some things will even need to be adjusted for YOUR body and system.

Many people CAN tolerate certain things that are not allowed (I'm a coffee addict, no real probs so far) and many people have to really adjust or eliminate some things that are perfectly legal.

That's why you should not think of this as a "diet" to follow...it is a new concept on how you eat and what choices you make, and how-- over the long haul -- your body responds.

That's why Induction is so important, and so strict. Because you eliminate and control SO many things, that when you start to get the hang of it and when your body is burning FAT instead of CARBS for energy, you can really begin to pay attention to what causes you to lose, gain or stall.

Just take it easy and STAY THE COURSE, and you'll be a happy cat, like me. :D

hungryone Mon, Dec-30-02 07:24

still hanging in there

still hanging in there HI EVERBODY!!!!

Hope your hollidays were fun!!

Well, here I am....still hanging in there. My old scale says I lost a pound. Not a major thing, but better than gaining one!!!!!!!!!!
Just staying in touch. I tried the pork rinds.............is it okay to have one or two just to feel the crunch?
Breakfast has become my favorite meal lol...............I never used to eat breakfast.........now I look forward to it.
My major problem is eating late at night........like around 1 or 2 a.m.
I try to eat some of what I had for dinner. Last night, a burger and salad and baked turnips. Eating at night is and always has been my downfall!~ :(
HAPPY NEW YEAR TO EVERYONE AND MAY THE LOSS BE WITH YOU :Party:

icedancer Mon, Dec-30-02 10:47

a pound lost is a pound lost!

Hey there,

As far as pork rinds go, they are carb free, so crunch to your delight! They are one of my crunch treats! Watch those turnips though! Bad carbs! Bad! :rolleyes:

The more you do this way of life the better your body will respond to it, once you get the blood sugar stabilized you'll find it easier and easier to be comfortable in this WOL & WOE!

Really, and success breeds success!

Keep on it and you'll get there! :D

Later Carl

lkonzelman Mon, Dec-30-02 10:54

Carl gives good advice ...

Except for the turnips- I just checked and up to one cup of turnips a day is even allowed during induction.

icedancer Mon, Dec-30-02 11:40

Turnips

Wow, they are low, 3.8 grams per 1/2 cup!

Too bad I HATE them!
:rolleyes:
Carl