Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Kitchen Talk (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   LC Bread (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=6703)

Kay Sun, Jun-24-01 22:49

Kay's Bread

Hi kids

If you are looking for the bread recipe I posted, it is called Final Bread. That's because I spend days experimenting with every low carb bread recipe I could find. I ended up with a lot of low-carb bread in my freezer. I was going for flavour, resemblance to real bread, and most of all, lowest possible carbs per slice.
http://www.lowcarb.ca/recipes/bread116.html

(Sharon, I love the cheerleading section!)

The recipe says to take it out of the breadmaker and let it rise because you are not supposed to try to make vital wheat gluten flour dough rise a second time. I do not have a quick bread cycle so cooking it in the oven is the only choice for me. Also, as Sharon points out, the traditional shape is very nice, and no holes in the bottom. When you are eating slices this thin, you don't want to have to deal with holes!!!

Rob_55 Tue, Jun-26-01 08:09

LC Bread

The flour name fooled me too. Its labeled as wheat gluten, not flour. I've found it in all the larger local grocery stores here in Fargo. The reason I knead the bread in my bread maker then remove it and bake in an oven is because I saw another post where somebody couldn't get the bread out of their breadmaker after it baked, but also because I toast it, make sandwiches with it, and I'm going to make french toast with it. Bread maker bread is too big for my toaster. I supposed if you sprayed your bread maker with LC non-stick spray it would work fine too.

Anyway, I just let my breadmaker knead the dough for about 8-10 minutes then take it out and let it rise for about 30-45 minutes. Yesterday it only took 30 minutes and it got almost as big as a normal loaf. I saw another posting in here that said the LC bread will rise once okay, but with wheat gluten it won't rise too well a second time.

I love chocolate and am still looking for a LC chocolate recipe I can pig out on. Anybody got a recipe for chocolate cookies with LC flour and Splenda?

Sharon Mon, Jul-02-01 20:47

LC Bread Instructions & Pictures

1 Attachment(s)
I promised a couple of weeks ago to post the instructions for Kay’s Final Bread, made by hand. Although I have not made this bread by hand by girlfriend has and I have seen her results. The following is the method she uses. For the complete recipe and ingredients check the Recipes Section (Bread and Pasta) of the board under Final Bread by Kay.

HAND METHOD:

Note: use a pkg. of dry yeast instead of 2.5 tsp. of machine yeast.

Soften active dry yeast in ¾ cup of warm water (110 degrees) with 1 tsp. sugar. Combine whipping cream, oil, and beaten eggs. Blend yeast and cream mixture together just before adding to the flour mixture.

Mix all the dry ingredients in a separate bowl. (gluten flour, oat flour, whey protein, salt, ground flax seed meal, stevia, baking power and salt).

Add the yeast/cream mixture to the dry ingredients. Mix together. Turn out on to a lightly (gluten) floured surface and kneed until smooth. Will take approximately 10 minutes. The dough will be more sticky to work with than “white flour”.

As Kay indicated, put it in a non-stick pan greased pan, cover and let rise 60-70 minutes.

HINTS:

These are little hints that may help you either for machine or hand made bread.

I have great luck by setting my heating pad on one of the lowest settings and putting my covered bread on it to rise. Here in Canada where it’s nice and warm now you might not find this necessary, but in the winter this helps give an even temperature for the bread to rise.

Also, Kay indicates baking for 50 minutes. I find that 30 minutes bakes the crust to my liking, but I like a light crust. I should also mention that I have to bake on the lower rake in my oven to keep the bread from touching the top element and that could cause it to bake a little faster.

When I take the bread from the oven when it’s still hot I brush it with butter, which makes the crust softer as well.

I cut my bread with an electric knife and that makes it easier to get thin slices.

Good luck, I hope I haven’t missed anything….I had this on the weekend with tuna, a slice of tomato, lettuce, a piece of bacon, and sliced cheddar cheese……….ymmmmmmy.

I have attached pictures to show you my results.

Kay did a great job putting this recipe together….thanks again Kay.

slawrie Sun, Feb-02-03 11:39

Looks so yum.....

Hi Sharon and Kay, Thx. for the bread pictures. Gonna make that bread today. It's not rising in my breadmaker, so I'll take it out and do it in the oven. I'll let you know. slawrie.

nicksmom Thu, Feb-06-03 10:19

OH, that bread looks wonderful! Thanks for posting the pix! :thup:

nicksmom Thu, Feb-06-03 10:25

Pardon me for asking a dumb question....... if I can't find oat flour, is it possible to put some oatmeal in my food processor and pulverize it down to flour?

VickyRenee Sat, Feb-22-03 10:13

I couldnt find oat flour either, so I just made up for it with the wheat gluten, soy and flaxseed meal....to make the amount called for with oat flour.

Red Mon, Feb-24-03 08:30

oat flour

That's not a silly question! Yes, you can make oat flour yourself! Its simple and best of all...CHEAP!!
Grind it up finely in a coffee grinder or food processor. You can make all your nut flours this way as well.
Happy baking!!

Carolyn - Currently freezing to death in Saskatchewan during our present cold snap -35! this morning :tears:

muweek Mon, Sep-08-03 10:36

bread

Thanks for the help and the recipe. I will give it one more try and let you know. When a recipe calls for whey protein, is that the whey protein drinks that you buy at a health food store , just like the soy protein? I am new to this low-carbing and am trying to find out the difference between, whey protein, soy protein, whey powder, soy powder? Recipes call for different things and I'm not sure if its just a different form of the word, Help!!

doreen T Mon, Sep-08-03 23:15

hi there,

I really hope this recipe is The One, after all your previous efforts :)

Here's some info. about all the different types of soy products .. flour, powder, protein isolate etc ... http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...=&threadid=9493

This post should answer questions about gluten, vital wheat gluten and gluten flour .. http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...&threadid=34460

And here's some advice about whey protein vs. whey powder .. http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...919#post1257919

Doreen

RobB Tue, Sep-09-03 11:26

muweek Sat, Sep-13-03 19:19

Well, loved the pics of Kay's Final Bread and thought I would attempt it. First let me tell you that I am a GREAT COOK AND BAKER and not too much can ever be a challenge to me (using traditional methods and ingredients). However, this recipe go the best of me! I followed the instructions exactly but did not end up with a finished product such as the pics. It only rose to have the size in the loaf pan so either my preheated oven was too warm (warmed just like the instructions) and it didn't rise but actually began baking because of the heat. The oven was off but my husband placed a bowl of cooked chicken wings in their to keep warm part way through the rising. I dont know if this would affect it at all but it wasnt hard or spongey. If it had risen properly, i think it would have turned out right. All my ingredients are fresh but the dough was quite sticky when I was needing it. Any suggestions? Other CAD members eat regular bread at reward meal but I was trying to make it for breakfast or lunch and count the carbs. Oh well, I think I will give it a rest. Thanks anyway.

doreen T Sun, Sep-14-03 07:30

hi there,

I'm sorry you didn't have success with this recipe either .. so disappointing to put the effort and expense into it. Can you at least make thin slices for toast, or maybe make thin dry "melba toasts" out of it???

One thought occured to me when you described the dough as being very sticky .. it shouldn't be. And that made me recall way back in my bread-baking days -- home-made sourdough every day .. except in the summer. Rarely did summer bread ever rise properly .. I beleive it was due to the high humidity in the air. Don't know if that's a problem for you in Manitoba too?? But it just seemed that dense humid air = dense humid loaves. Dry winter air makes for better bread. In summer I tended to just make tortillas and flatbreads.

Just a thought :idea:

Doreen

muweek Sun, Sep-14-03 19:30

Thanks Doreen, come to think of it, it was raining all day yesterday and we havent had rain since the end of June. That could be it because my house does get humid with cooking and baking. I actually threw it out AGAIN and think I will take a break for now. I WILL NOT GIVE UP! Maybe in a couple of weeks, i will try again. Alot of other recipes that we have tried are really good so one out of the whole batch so far isnt bad. Its not like we are aching because we dont have bread, but it is now a challenge to me and I intend to win. I WILL BAKE A GOOD LOAF OF BREAD

CathyOh Thu, Sep-18-03 11:33

Just made this bread last night after reading everyone's great reviews. It was easy to make and looked just like the photos! My 14 year old son enjoyed a toasted pb sandwhich this morning using the bread. I don't mind him eating it since I know it is LC and has a decent amount of protein too. Thanks for such a great and easy recipe! I've tried a number of others but this was by far the easiest and tastiest yet.