Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Best Of (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   No one ever makes a New Year's Resolution like this (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=36379)

Suz Sat, Jan-04-03 12:34

Thanks for listing this thread again. I started LCing in November, so I didn't see this when it was originally(sp?) posted. It's some great advice and some common sense for LCing.

Suz

KellyG5 Wed, Jan-22-03 08:21

Great Article!

Thanks for bringing this thread back to life! It really makes you think if you are ready to make a commited change in your life, or are you just "wishing" the weight to be gone.

m7griffin Sat, Apr-10-04 21:19

Facing our own self - honestly

Personal pronouns are the essence of saving yourself because they convey that the person has identified whose problem something is. “Whose problem is it” is confusing to people that are in denial. Take a four year old riding a bike in the middle of the street. Is this the child’s problem? If you approach it on that basis, there will be resistance and perhaps a battle of wills. No, the problem is the attendant (parent’s) problem. They are the one worried about the prospect of injury not the child. When approaching the child with “I am worried that you will get hurt…”, like magic, the child usually complies because we have communicated with honesty. Same with us, when we can say something like “my weight is a sad representation of me”, the honesty triggers something that touches us mentally. After a learning process, I was then able to be honest with ME. I think that losing weight for anyone else doesn’t seem to have a sound of truth.

Martin

Karen Mon, Jan-03-05 11:44

Tis the right time of year to bump this up. :)

Karen

Rachelle Mon, Jan-03-05 14:40

Wow.. great motivational article.. i was in search of some motivation for the New Year's Resolutions that I've made for myself.. this just helped cement a few thoughts :)

RobinDBois Sun, May-20-07 14:33

So many questions.

Sorry to see that you are so confused.

Relatively simple in my world. I've taken control of my destiny.

Good luck

ChÉ

Elihnig Thu, Dec-31-09 19:28

Bumping it up in time for the new year!

Whofan Fri, Jan-03-14 06:01

This hasn't been bumped for a few years but the advice is timeless: helpful to the new year's resolution newbies and a good reminder to all.

ETA: Back in the day, I threw away good money on the electronic ab belt they're laughing about. I remember sitting on the couch, watching tv and eating (probably a loaf of bread), wearing that thing. :rolleyes:

Bonnie OFS Fri, Jan-03-14 12:35

A few years ago a friend sent me a version of the Serenity Prayer that is applicable to making changes in one's life:

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change,
the courage to change the one I can,
and the wisdom to know it's me.

I'm also going to copy the original article and share it with my OA friends. They know there are no magic spells or silver bullets!

But sometimes I wish there were. :(

Whofan Fri, Jan-03-14 16:10

That version of the serenity prayer literally made me LOL. But it's so true! I'm putting it on my refrigerator.

denky01 Sun, Jan-19-14 08:28

Love the prayer. Definitely going on my refrigerator too!!!