Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=106)
-   -   petite ladies (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=29114)

Homegirl Sat, Jan-19-02 01:02

Re exercise

Hi gals,

Just thought I'd pop back in and say hello.

I think any kind of exercise is great if you haven't already been doing something because it all helps. However, after a while, when you begin to get (and see) the benefit of exercise it makes you want to keep it up. Believe me, I have never been sports minded or been one of those who love working out.

I have never lifted weights before in my life but I started back in November because I got all fired up about Nat's (Natrushka) Body For Life program and also because I had been reading about all the benefits healthwise (like increasing muscle mass which in turn revs up your metabolism and in turn burns more fat; preventing osteoperosis, toning those muscles so that when the fat disappears there is something good to look at underneath, etc).

The long and short of it is, I have been combining weights and cardio and am seeing a lot of changes in my body shape. Very good, positive changes. And I feel more confident and stronger. In fact, I am gearing up to do the BFL program myself just to see what a difference a 12 week intense and structured program will do. I am hoping I will get rid of those last pesky 7 lbs and also reduce my body fat %.

In any case, I recommend some form of resistance training to you ladies. It really does make a difference.

See ya!

snkhoward Sat, Jan-19-02 09:42

I am jealous of you all and your size 5's! I maybe could have worn a 5 when I was 7...maybe.
I am trying to get back into an 11, the smallest size I ever wore at 135 lbs. And That for me will be great. At 135 I was not fat, you could see my ribs(something I have not seen for awhile but am begining to feel again at least).
So I have come to the realization I will never be a size 5 even at 5'2 1/2(that 1/2 is very imortant!)My body is just not built that way, And for once I am OK with that.

Homegirl Sat, Jan-19-02 10:39

Quote:
Quote: Originally posted by snkhoward
My body is just not built that way, And for once I am OK with that.

Exactly! No matter how tall we are, there are many different body types and bone sizes so it's not what actual size we are in comparison to everyone else . It's all about being the best you can be for your height, body type and bone structure.

I happen to have a friend who is very tiny. Even though she's had three kids, she often has to buy girls sizes in clothes. I don't envy her for her size, I envy her for the foresight to keep herself in shape during those childbearing/raising years so that her body didn't go all to pot like mine did! I don't want to be her size, I just want to be vibrant, slim again and healthy as well!

Good luck on your own journey.

P.S. I am not able to wear those size 5's. Yet. Almost there--can't breathe when they are on :D

P.P.S. Even though my friend is in great shape she carries the same old battle scars the rest of us do--stretch marks and lines of age, etc so no one is immune to life and the aging process. No one

LiLMoMMa Sat, Jan-19-02 12:15

:wave: Hello to all the petite Ladies.

I am new here and hopefully I will get support from yall since we all fit the same category. I am going to start the induction phase of my journey to get back to my petite size. ;)
I was reading all yall's thread and could relate about being petite. I thought for a very long time that I had a small frame but a friend of mine and a doctor told me that I could tell my body frame by the size of my wrist, I found this chart a while back on body frames on how to detect our frame size so I measured my wrist and the chart indicated that I was a petite frame. Of course I loved the idea about being petite but what I don't like is that when us petite/small framed ladies gains 10 pounds it looks as if we or I gained 20 pounds. :mad:
I been chubby for a very long time now, all the woman in my mom side of the family is very petite. I am 5'3 and my regular weight should be 110-115. I have lost weight in the past and the smallest I have been is 125lbs at that time I was wearing a size 5, yeah that was a nice size but the problem was I had a belly, I knew I should of lost some more weight but I never made it, I started gaining again. Of course when you on a low fat/cal diet that tend to happen when you try to eat normally again, and not to say the terrible hunger pain you get after awhile. So now I am trying the Low Carb way and hopefully it will works for me and I won't have to worry about another diet plan again. My goal is to reach 120 than see how it is if I need to loose another 5 than I will. I wish all yall the best of luck and WE SHOULD KEEP THIS THREAD GOING FOR THE SUPPORT. :spin:

Mindy Sat, Jan-19-02 12:37

Very petite

Hey I know how all the short people feel... I'm 4ft 11in and weight 125 and I really need to get down to about 105 and I just get discouraged with the fact that I've always been chunky I'm glad there are others who understand about it because tall people don't...

klynne Sat, Jan-19-02 13:11

Hi everyone, my name is Kristie and I am on day 8 of induction on Atkin's. I am 5'2 and am trying to reach a goal of 110. I don't have much to lose but I know what it is like to carry weight on such a petite frame. I weighed 160ish when I delievered my daughter 2.5 years ago and 180 when I deliverd my son within 11 mos. of my daughter :eek: , talk about a strain on my body! I have also had a hernia repair operation in the past which shows what carrying around even a little weight will do to you.

I am currently at 116 because I've lost 4 lbs in induction and have 11 more to goal. This is a new, healthy WOL for me and I am excited about it!! I want to reach my goal and maintain forever! :p

donnaj Sat, Jan-19-02 15:58

Hello ladies

How is everyone this evening? Welcome Karen,Homegirl, LilMomma,Mindy and Kristen. :wave:

Karen, I know what you mean about feeling your ribs. I am just now starting to feel my own again and it is wonderful :D My husband keeps complimenting on how small my hips are getting.
That is the first place I lose. I wish it was my stomach but that well come. I am glad that you joined our thread. :yay:

Homegirl, I feel the same way you do is that it really not how we look( that is great) but being healthy and feeling good. It has been along time since I felt good. But since I have been on this WOE I have started. I am glad that you joined our thread, also. :yay:

LilMoMMa, I glad you joined us :yay: You will see a big difference with this WOE because you are not hungry and it seems like the weight melt off but that is with different individuals. For me I am losing slower but that okay.

Mindy, welcome I am glad you found our thread :yay: My mother was 4'11'' and she was alway 98 lbs until she had us three children. It seems that everything Mom ate she gained. But, I am 5'3" and started in her footsteps. I decided that my health was too important so I started Atkins and this will be my WOL.

Welcome Kristin. I am glad to see you joining our thread. :yay:
I am so glad that more petite ladies have joined. I was surprised to see how many there are but I welcome you and I am here if you need someone to talk too.

Have you all started your journals. It is a good way of keeping feeling and menu and people can see if you need encouragement on what to eat and say HI.

Well ladies, I have dishes but I will email tomorrow. Have a wonderful evening. :wave:

Dinky Sun, Jan-20-02 20:43

Baby weight

Hello all my petite buddies :)

I see the same thing over and over in the posts about the highest weight we reach when we are about to deliver. I read a few years ago, that the weight your body peaks at becomes a set poing, and your body will naturally strive to maintain this weight and go back to this weight. Don't know if it's scientific, but it sure seems true on this bod.

I gained weight in high school, then lost about 25 lbs and stayed comfortably between 105 - 110 for years just eating in moderation. Then the babies came. Peaked at 150 with each one. I know that if I didn't battle the bulge - I would be back at that weight in no time.

Doesn't seem fair does it?

Oh well. If you've got good health, and you can afford good food, then you've really no room to complain, right?

Good night all you petite ladies - have a good, healthy week :)

ruby Sun, Jan-20-02 21:02

Hello my petites!!!

Just checking in, welcome all you new ones. This is great, we're all here in one place. My husband picked up a water jug today and he weighed it. 10 lbs. He handed it to me and said, this is what you've lost!!! (I've only lost 9!) I can't imagine I was lugging that around. I still have a belly. My body fat is all on the front. My legs are thing, my thighs aren't big, and my bum's small. Very unhealthy around the mid section they say for heart disease. I have high Blood Pressure, so it's not just a vanity thing. I put on my coat and could get a bulky sweater underneath and still button up????

Anybody have trouble with a double chin? Even when I get to goal weight I have it. What the hell can be done about it. I have friends who weigh more than me, around my size, and in photos I look larger. I look bigger than people who are three times my weight bec ause of it. Do you have any tips? Anyone else have this problem?

Bye bye petites :wave:

Ruby

Dinky Sun, Jan-20-02 21:15

Oh I hate that chin thing

:mad:
I have it too. And you're right - even at goal weight I'll still have it. I've always had a 'round' face. It used to make me look younger, and that was good. But now it's starting to droop a little. I think the only way to get rid of it at my age would be a little ' nip and tuck' if you know what I mean.

Who knows, maybe I'll save up some money and go for it next year. Seriously thinking about it :D

ruby Sun, Jan-20-02 21:36

Double chin

Hi Dinky, :agree:
We're around the same age. It used to make me look younger too. Now though, as you say, it sags. I hate it. Maybe lipo? I never thought I'd say this. Maybe it'll be the goal weight reward. I'm afraid of the nip and tuck though? You mean they have to cut and pull?

let me know what you find out.

Ruby :wave:

LiLMoMMa Sun, Jan-20-02 21:42

Rather be a pear shape!

Hello Petite LCers, :wave:
Thank you for welcoming me donnaj!
I can really relate to ruby about,
My body fat is all on the front. I have friends who weigh more than me, around my size, and in photos I look larger. I look bigger than people who are three times my weight because of it.

:( I myself have that same problem ruby, I know females who are the same exact height as I am and weight more than me but I look bigger than them because I carry most of my body fat in the front also besides the fat on my hips and thighs. This is called the apple shape and its the worst way to be, cause us apple shape women are more at risk for diabetes and heart/liver/kidney disease because of the location of the fat.
I'd rather be a pear shape (big hips, small waist) than an apple shape, cause I think that pear shape looks better on a woman! Does anyone agree? And yes being an apple shape is very unhealthy, but I have heard and also read that the best way to loose that midsection is by LCing that is why I am doing the Atkins plan. :roll:

I have been doing alot of reading on apple shapes and LCing and found lots of good info. You can look up these information on the internet, I cannot remember where but just look it up and health magazines usually have these types of articles. ;)

Good luck and bye Petite LCers

ruby Sun, Jan-20-02 22:37

Hi LilMomma,
I'll check out the web on apple shape. Thanks. We'll do it.
Ruby

donnaj Mon, Jan-21-02 08:30

Hello buddies

I also have an apple shape but where I had an hystertomy I have two halves to my apple.
My family has diabetes. I am a diabetic but since Atkins no medication and sugar level are great but it seems that my stomach is the last to leave. Even at my goal weight it is still there.
I looked at my family pictures on both sides and they all have the apple shape except for my aunt and see watches her weight and never gained enough. She was 4'10" and had two children.

Well good buddies have a great day. :wave:

MRS.OZ Mon, Jan-21-02 09:19

Hello there P.L.'s!

I also have the double chin. My mother (she had it, too) called 'chippy face' as in chipmunky. I think surgery would be the only way to get rid of it :( but I'm not that disturbed by it yet.

I haven't managed to get an exercise program going yet but I am going to FORCE myself to get on that treadmill tonight! I usually walk the dog but it's just been too cold - not much snow here but bitter winds.

I don't think I have the faintest hope of getting back into a size 5, after my son was born my hips spread out and that was that! ;) I do plan to wear my 7/8 by summer, though! Take care, everyone!