Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Favorite Snack Poll (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=26558)

katkapers Sun, Nov-09-03 01:09

My favorite QUICK snacks

1. Cut up celery sticks, zucchini sticks, jicama sticks and other low-carb vegetables. Serve veggies of choice with blue cheese dressing for dipping.

2. Wrap cold cut ham, roast beef, turkey and cheese around a pickle spear.

3. Make your own deviled stuffed eggs. Use mayonnaise, mustard, paprika, garlic powder, ham, celery, onion and capers.

4. Enjoy homemade guacamole. Combine green onions, jalapenos peppers, cilantro, lime juice and tomato.

5. Keep small amounts of hard cheese on hand.

6. Indulge in a small handful of nuts or pumpkin seeds.

7. Toast a piece of low-carb bread and top it with unsweetened peanut butter.

8. Make your own fricos. Put small mounds of cheddar cheese on a baking sheet, then cook until crisp.

9. Whip up a batch of mini pizzas. Use a round cookie cutter on low-carb bread. Add a tablespoon of controlled-carb tomato sauce. Top with shredded mozzarella and oregano. Bake in the oven.

10. Fill a low-carb tortilla with a thin layer of hummus. Top with sprouts and thinly sliced tomatoes.

Other snack ideas include:

Make a batch of decaf iced tea. Add the sugar substitute Splenda and lemon juice. Freeze in plastic Popsicle mold for a cool snack.

Put fresh berries in the freezer for a refreshing treat. Serve with cream.

I also like to eat the low carb, snack bars. Problem is some are just yucky! Here are the ones I enjoy.

http://4320673.cyberwize.com/
Click on "health & wellness"
Then "healthywize"
Then on the left "order products"
Then "all products" scroll down to find the bars

I emailed them, and they put me on a preferred customer status in order to receive them at a discount.

Best of luck in your weight loss endeavors!
mojoma

Petey Sun, Nov-16-03 16:52

pork rinds definitly pork rinds. bonton is the best brand, its just hard to find.

MoonShadow Tue, Nov-25-03 04:09

The inevitable snacks

Well, I've discovered that keeping the right snacks on hand can really save the day! *smile*

At work, I always keep some hard cheese to munch on if I'm hungry inbetween meals.

At home I can get more 'advanced', and I'll eat things like:

:) Ham or salted lunchmeats rolled around a stick of hard cheese

:) Cream cheese flavored with AS, some SF syrup or instant coffe or even cocoa-powder

:) A square of dark unsweetened chocolate chewed with a small handfull of peanuts (Now THAT's to die for!)

:) A spoonful of unsweetened, crunchy peanutbutter (It's hard to stop after just one spoonful tho'... )

:) Jello made from SF koolaid (we can't get the SF jellos here in Norway)

:) Sour cream or Creme Fraīche whipped with some AS and spices such as cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger etc.

:) Pork rinds (altho' I'm starting to get rather sick of'em...*lol*)

:) Home-made SF chocolate icecream

:rolleyes: Cheese, cheese and more cheese!

The best part of lo-carbing is of course that now I'm ALLOWED to eat lots and lots of bacon and other fatty 'no-no' foods! *lol* I don't really miss those carbs that much!

MoonShadow :)

BlitzedAng Mon, Dec-01-03 12:03

Those late night munchies call for a crunch so I take a celery stalk and fill it with no-carb beanit butter.. MAN I love that stuff..

borisdisco Wed, Jan-14-04 17:15

I like pork rinds with a cheese spread or salsa.

Houdini68 Fri, Jan-16-04 09:51

Wow, there are a lot of great snack ideas here. Thanks everyone! Keep 'em coming, this is really helpful!

wangeci Fri, Jan-16-04 10:44

Hard salami and cheese. Now also fresh raw not cooked green beans, yummmyyyyyyy.
Cindy

leshaimors Thu, Feb-12-04 15:22

i saw a reference to beanit butter, was this a typo or is there really such thing? if so i'd like to know more about it.

leasmom Mon, Feb-16-04 09:02

Well...I love hot foods and so I love to stuff a Jalapeno with cheese and warm up on both sides in a little oil until cheese melts. Also, stuff a jalapeno with cream cheese and pop in your mouth-YUMMY. Also, fill a 1/4 half of green pepper with cream cheese.

Chillygatr Sat, Feb-21-04 10:49

I just discovered a good crunchie snack. I was feeling like gnawing a bit and grabbed some Atkins dry cereal. It's Mornign Start Crunchy Almond Crisp. I just ate it out of the box. Not bad for a nice crunchy, slighty sweet snack. It's 3 grams per 2/3 cup. I may never have it with low carb milk again.

BlitzedAng Fri, Mar-12-04 13:37

Ohhh and can't forget devilled eggs.

pocoman Fri, Mar-12-04 21:23

Peanut Butter

Is it true that unsweetened peanut butter is okay? If so, is this something you can easily find at a grocery store?

Devilled eggs. I've never had to make them. Any quick "directions" how to make devilled eggs?

Thanks everyone,

Daryl

Kristine Sat, Mar-13-04 10:00

Yes on the peanut butter - but don't be fooled by any old brand that has slapped "low carb" on the label. Make sure that it's natural peanut butter, with no added sugar or trans fats.

It should be easy to find at any grocery store :thup: I buy my own (Canadian) store brand, and Addam's is a brand that might be available at your store.

Be sure to count the carbs and watch the portion size - it's easy to go overboard. :daze:

dazzlin182 Thu, Apr-08-04 02:22

when i dont' cook a.k.a lazy usually almond, cheddar, protein drink, natural peanut butter (pb is my best quick fix)

altho do need more ideas

KimCanada Thu, Apr-15-04 12:28

After reading this whole thread.... are there any of these snacks a no-no on Induction? LOL :)