Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   How many people have told their Doctor? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=20405)

nsmith4366 Sun, Sep-23-01 06:39

Why

They either think that you'll get heart disease from the fat content or just won't get the supposed "benefits" from a mostly grains/fruit/veggie diet with minimal fats and proteins. Fortunately I've forgotten what all those supposed "benefits" were.

I'm happy low carbin' it. And I do it like you do, fresh vegs and leanER meats. I don't do processed/manufactured and only good fats. They shouldn't call THIS diet Atkins...it needs its own name...KISS is what alot of people are calling it. Too simple to require a whole book on the topic, but it would be nice to have our own group/website/messageboard the whole thing!

Tonsil Sun, Sep-23-01 21:33

two different reactions...

Went to a doctor to get my third-class medical renewed (I'm a pilot), and he made a pleased-sounding "Hmmm!" when he read the scale at weigh-in time. Asked me how I had lost the weight. I proudly told him I was on Atkins, and of course the derisive comments started. I didn't back down (I rarely do), and straightened him out about a few misconceptions he had (bad for kidneys, cholesterol, you know the drill). On my way out, his nurse/receptionist said, "Don't listen to him, he doesn't know what he's talking about!" Interesting office. (BTW, Doc Know-it-all is at least 40# overweight).

Got a different reaction when my wife and I went in for cholesterol screening at a local drugstore. We told the technicians why our numbers were so good, and they were both enthusiastic, and said they had seen lots of Atkins dieters improve their blood stats. Consider the source: pretty much all they do is go around the area doing blood tests, so they have one heck of a population base upon which to draw an opinion.

In the future, I think I'll just describe my diet as "low-carb" and leave it at that. People hear the name "Atkins" and think it means "fad". It's just their own ignorance, but I see no need to pour gasoline on their particular bigotry flames. If any doctor gives me a ration of s**t about how dangerous it is, I'll just point out that adult-onset diabetics must restrict their carb intake to maintain their health, and wouldn't it be better to do it now than to wait until I start getting diabetes? That oughta shut em up. If it doesn't, I'll take my business elsewhere, and I'll tell them why I'm doing it.

nsmith4366 Mon, Sep-24-01 03:25

My trick

Just tell anyone who asks that you don't eat sugar. It covers nearly 99% of all food situations, doctor situations, food pushers...there's sugar in almost everything - oh and lactose intolerant works for situations where milk/products are concerned - I don't DO dairy either. Just meats/vegs/fat. But I don't TELL them all that because...
...it's just none of their d~! business that's why!

Reaction I love is always guaranteed/ HUGE eyes - wow you've GOT to be KIDDING! How can you LIVE without SUGAR/MILK???

I just smile.

Nancy

tinalou3 Mon, Sep-24-01 05:12

Part of the problem with some doctors as well as other people is that they have been trained a certain way in nutrition or not had much training in nutrition. The doctor I have been talking to said that two of his colleagues have lost a lot of weight with Atkins. The proof is in the results. If the bloodwork is good, the weight is coming off and you feel good, who can argue with that?
Just my opinion!!

irish Sat, Sep-29-01 16:30

"KISS"

Maybe is missed it, but what does "K.I.S.S." stand for?

irish

irish Sat, Sep-29-01 17:06

doctor's opinions

My history of low carbing: between junior and senior year of high school (back in the 70s), I did the Stillman diet during the summer and lost 40 lbs. (and had lots of dizzy spells, too). When I went back to school in September lots of the kids didn't recognize me! But, I went off of it and the weight came back within the year.

In July 2001, one of the girls at work (I work in a hospital-based outpatient clinic) was losing lots of weight, I asked her what she was doing, and she said "Atkins." I knew something about it and bought the book. I've lost 22.5 lbs. since July 21st and I have decided this is my WOL. Now there's about seven of us at work low carbing!

Most of the docs, nurse practitioners, and nutritionists at work have kept their thoughts to themselves (all negative), but one said she hopes I go back to eating "regular" food when I hit my goal. She is chosing to ignore all my previous comments on how great I feel, I finally have hard-as-nails fingernails, and my arthritis pain in my ankles has disappeared! (Oddly enough, she's lost some weight lately, too, but she says it's from working out on her new exercise equipment - yeah, right).

I'm due to go back for my yearly check-up and can't wait to see the results.

Oh well, I just had to vent. Thanks for listening!

irish

Goodacre Sun, Sep-30-01 09:36

Re: "KISS"

Quote:
Originally posted by irish
Maybe is missed it, but what does "K.I.S.S." stand for?

I believe it means Keep It Simple, Stupid.

Where did you see this, and does that make sense in the context? I missed seeing it in this thread, but I was sort of skimming. :)

irish Sun, Sep-30-01 12:45

KISS

Sorry! I thought it was in this thread but now I can't find it. I did a search for it though, and found out what I wanted to know.

irish

joanne42 Sun, Sep-30-01 16:21

I've told my doctor and he's all for this..He did blood work on me before I started all this and then I asked him about low carbing.. H e said I can give it a go ahead as he's monitoring me anyhow..Well I've had nothing but positive blood work since then and it's almost been 2 years. :thup:

irish Mon, Oct-01-01 15:54

joanne42,

your and i started within 2 lbs of each other and our goal is the same - 140. has it taken you 2 yrs of strict low carbing to get where you are now or did you have a few starts and stops along the way?

just curious.

irish

joanne42 Tue, Oct-02-01 17:25

Well Irish I lost most of the weight within 6 months.. I was at 142 but then I took sick and easily gained some of it back.. But now I'm totally in control and will get to that goal before the end of the year...

irish Tue, Oct-02-01 21:19

joanne42,

that's great - the 6 months part (not the sick part). hope i can do as well as you did. thanks for replying!

irish

80sGirl Sat, Oct-06-01 12:39

I have not told my doctor either. :cool: I have other issues with him; therefore, I didn't want to shake any more leaves off the tree. When I find a new doctor (hopefully a female one) I will definitely tell her about LCing. I use my excel spreadsheet program to keep track of total inches and weight lost. So I will be armed with at least that much.

Later,

Rachel

Dizz Sat, Oct-06-01 19:50

I also talked to my dr before beginning Atkins. My son (22) was convinced that I was doing wrong because he took some class in college that taught no diet was good for the body. He said I would just put it right back on if I lost it at all. He was so hyper about it I decided to go to dr just to set his mind to rest.

Dr. said I had so much to lose he didn't care what I did but Atkins was just fine just lose the weight.

So I did start Atkins and began to lose the weight! My son was satisfied that the dr said it was ok.

irish Sat, Oct-06-01 22:55

keeping track of wt & inches lost

80sGirl,

I keep track of pounds and inches lost using PowerPoint graphs! Inches-wise, I've only been measuring my bust, waist, and hips. I wish now I had been measuring my thighs, upper arms, etc., too. I'm really curious how much I've lost there.

irish