Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   low carb Ignoramuses (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=183144)

Lobstergal Sat, May-08-04 23:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jun keater
Ok... here's my story. We went up north to our cabin last weekend. My inlaws also live up there. I proceeded to tell my mother inlaw that I was on a low carb diet. She said she was starting it on Monday. I was telling her about a recipe that I love: Lemon Roast Chicken She was looking at a recipe book and said oooooh, this one sounds soooo much better! I asked what the ingredients were - honey, orange juice! I said wait a second, you can't have that if you are going to low carb - she said, I am not going to go that far, I am just going to give up bread, pasta & potatoes...... I give up.

Maybe she is doing the Neanderthin version of low carbing. You can have orange juice and honey on neanderthin. :)

PacNW Sun, May-09-04 06:38

Gosh, I am coming to this thread late. Now, I want to know what the title was before. ;0)

blue4lemon Sun, May-09-04 06:44

I said "re*ard" and everyone jumped all over me even after I apologized, 2, 3 times. I AM SORRY, ONCE MORE.

I doubt that person above is doing Neanderthin. She probably is like the rest of the huge percent of the population who passes up the bread, pasta and potatoes half the time they eat and then call it low carb, and then wonder why they haven't lost weight. At the most I'd say it is a step in the right direction.

el123 Sun, May-09-04 07:12

I think it's GREAT if people want to just cut out bread, pasta, etc. Even if they don't cut out all bread, and just cut out, say, white bread and bagels and donuts and stuff. I wouldn't call it half-assed, seeing as how cutting those things out of your diet in general is a very healthy thing to do. Maybe we should give people a little credit for passing up that spaghetti with tomato sauce :) Not everyone feels the need to be quite as stringent as those of us on this board.

I just wish they wouldn't CALL is atkins when it isn't!

PacNW Sun, May-09-04 09:59

Sorry, I had figured out the original thread from the various exchanges. I was kidding when I suggested I did not know. That was the reason for the squiggly thing.

El123, however, I could not disagree more. People think that they can "cut back" on carbs. The new Pepsi drink sweetened with 1/2 Splenda and 1/2 sugar is a great example. You cannot move from 600-800 grams of carbs per day to 200 or 300 and really get the benefits of an LC WOE. Yes, there are variations on the amount of carbs suggested by various LC regimes (and their effectiveness), and yes Atkins tends toward a stricter limit. But the general notion that people can "just cut back" on carbs is fruitloops. Someone suggested that people treat carbs like calories (where you can just cut back) without any real understanding of ketosis, hyperinsulinemia, etc. And it is misguided for people to think that they can just cut back carbs.

Kristine Sun, May-09-04 10:04

I changed it, guys. In the future, do use the link. No one gets in trouble, it just lets us change it before anyone gets offended/mad/embarassed/etc.

rice_boi Sun, May-09-04 11:11

this is one of my favourite quotes from someone that thinks he's lowcarbing...

"I'm just watching my carb-intake, not sugar intake"

ummmmm yyeeeeeaahh... hehe

bcbeauty Sun, May-09-04 17:18

Thanks so much Kristine.

GabrielleG Sun, May-09-04 17:29

Ok let me first say that (I've been following Atkins for 11 months) I haven't read South Beach so I know little to nothing about the plan but... A friend of mine went on it for about a month before getting off it while on vacation. I will never forget calling her up and asking what she was doing. She said she was putting ten M&M's in a bunch of ziplock bags because she was allowed one baggie a day....

Now like I said I have yet to read South Beach...I am on the wait list for it at my library but I can almost bet you aren't supposed to eat M&M's on a daily basis( which is what she did).

Gabrielle

potatofree Sun, May-09-04 17:38

GabrielleG...yes, you can. especially if they're the peanut kind.

I haven't read the book, but I saw it in an article about it. They had a list of allowed treats, and among them were M&M's and chocolate ice cream.

Delta Fox Sun, May-09-04 18:11

Is it not possible to live a healthy lifestyle being more "carb concious" and not necessarily "low-carb" as we "Atkids" think of what carb levels should be? I mean, the glycemic index of foods, the high fibre nutritionaly dense choices, the art of food combining(I personally know this is a valid practice), etc... I agree that cutting bread, pasta, potatoes, rice (even if it's only the "white" kinds) is definately a step in the right direction for some folks. If they are consuming higher levels of carbs(per Atkins recommendations) it's a matter of adjusting the protein/fat to appropriate levels, is it not? Unfortunately, many people do not educate themselves on what happens when they put certain foods into their bodies and become very dissappointed when they don't get the desired results. Are we not all seeking the (elusive, for many) "magic" formula that works the best for each of us, not just for now, but for a lifetime? :)

el123 Sun, May-09-04 20:08

PacNW- I agree, that if you are looking to really change your way of life, getting all the facts and diving in full-force is what you should do. However, if someone were to say to tell me that they cut fruit loops out of their diet, to try to be a little more carb-conscious, I'd say that's a pretty good little step. And who says a person needs to get the "full effects"? Cutting out sugary foods and things that are bad for your body is just the healthy thing to do, regardless of what it does for your weight loss. Don't get me wrong, I am not advocating for people who cut fruit loops, then go eat a potato to run around calling it a low-carb diet. indeed, it is not. but i do believe it is possible to get the benefits of low-carbing without being so strict.

stephiewil Sun, May-09-04 23:20

I go to a lot of yard sales and thrift stores to buy books.I love to read, but hate to pay new book prices !!! Whenever I find an Atkins book I buy it and when someone starts asking questions, I give them a book. I have given several away. That way you know you have given them all the information, and if they chose to do thier own ineffective way of low carbing, you tried !!! It is frustrating when you see someone messing up, but sometimes they are just not ready. Maybe when they are ready to really do this, you will be there to help them along. At some point they will see your success and thier failure and figure out they are doing something wrong. Until then, you just have to let them be, it will just frustrate and upset you if you try to get involved so just let it go !! Just try and be there when they are ready !!! Stephie :)

Lobstergal Sun, May-09-04 23:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue4lemon
I said "re*ard" and everyone jumped all over me even after I apologized, 2, 3 times. I AM SORRY, ONCE MORE.

I doubt that person above is doing Neanderthin. She probably is like the rest of the huge percent of the population who passes up the bread, pasta and potatoes half the time they eat and then call it low carb, and then wonder why they haven't lost weight. At the most I'd say it is a step in the right direction.

Sure it is a step in the right direction but has she given up sugar too and all foods made with refined flours?

black57 Mon, May-10-04 18:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_boi
this is one of my favourite quotes from someone that thinks he's lowcarbing...

"I'm just watching my carb-intake, not sugar intake"

ummmmm yyeeeeeaahh... hehe

That reminds me of a reprimand my mom gave me. She is diabetic and I made the comment that she could reduce her insulin if she watched her carb intake. She yelled at me, "I'm watching sugar not carbs!!!" :eek:

She worked in a hospital, for-cryin'-out loud, and certified as a medical assistant, how could she say something so stupid?!