Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Stomach fat (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=177376)

trustycat Thu, Apr-08-04 22:18

i'm not sure but i think TVA stands for the transverse abs? in that case, reverse crunches don't target it (they target the lower RA)-- many pilates moves target TVA muscles but from what i've read, the best move to do is the plank
i dunno, i tried the plank for a summer--saw no difference....the only thing that's really helped me is cardio and shedding lbs :(

tcastro Fri, Apr-09-04 08:58

I got this from an exercise site.

Quote:
Suck in your gut

The Transverse Abdominus (TVA) muscles are used to keep the stomach pulled in, making the midsection appear smaller. We all know of people who are lean, but they have a pot belly that sticks out quite a bit. This is because they have weak TVA muscles. Training the TVA is very easy. Simply blow all of your air out and suck your stomach in and hold it for 15-30 seconds. You can do this throughout the day by simply sucking your stomach in. That may seem rather simple, but it works for creating a slimmer waist line.

RCG Fri, Apr-09-04 09:10

Please be aware that you cannot "spot reduce" fat. When your body loses fat, it happens all over your body. The amounts you lose in any area is a certain percentage of your total BF%.

In men, we start to gain fat around our mid-sections first, and this is the last place that fat will remain when losing it. For women, they usually gain fat first around the hips and butt, and this is the last place fat will remain.

This is why all the ab machines you see on TV are a hoax. No amount of ab excercises will "burn" fat just around your tummy. You may get some cardio benefits, but the only thing you will do is build up your ab muscles hidden under your fat.

More info than you asked for I know ;)

tcastro Fri, Apr-09-04 09:20

We're not trying to target the fat, we're trying to target the muscle. The fat will come off as the fat comes off. The idea is the strengthen the muscles below so the stomach area isn't so distended. Even slim people can get pot bellies and its because their stomach muscles are so weak.

RCG Fri, Apr-09-04 10:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcastro
We're not trying to target the fat, we're trying to target the muscle. The fat will come off as the fat comes off. The idea is the strengthen the muscles below so the stomach area isn't so distended. Even slim people can get pot bellies and its because their stomach muscles are so weak.

Not to argue but the original poster said:

"When does the stomach fat normally start to be burnt..."

Excercise was never mentioned.

I just threw that in about the ab excercisers you see on TV (junk IMHO) because I fell into the trap of thinking I could target the fat around my gut by doing literally 1000 crunches a day (I kid you not). My abs were rock hard but the fat remained.

You will get no argument from me that excercise in any form is indeed beneficial. I agree with everything you stated. :)

eve25 Fri, Apr-09-04 11:10

well i don't know about losing weight in one are but i do know that when i was thinner (about 100 pounds ago), i used to have an extremely flat stomach. i had a real hard time finding clothes bc they would be tight at the hips and literally hang off my stomach. i wasnt skinny at all but that area was always pretty toned. what i did was 500 crunches a day; 300 regular, 100 to the right and 100 to the left. i also did something that really helped but dont know what its called. you lay on your backwith your knees bent and your feet on the ground and lift your butt (a few 100).

tcastro Fri, Apr-09-04 11:27

Hah, I lost the focus of the post, sorry :D

LadyBelle Fri, Apr-09-04 11:40

If you do pilates it might help. They have the hundred where you breathin and out while keeping your stomach pulled in tight. That could work the TVA.

DaddioM Fri, Apr-09-04 12:29

I'd be interested in what others say about this, but from the people I've talked to, it's first on, last off. My stomach was the first to begin to grow and it's the last place it's coming off.

I mean I have taken about 6" off my waist, but the fat is basically GONE from everywhere but my stomach.

Now having said that, working on your abs will definitely make it less noticable. If your abs get really strong, it'll be like you're sucking it in all the time, without trying!!

my $.02