Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=106)
-   -   Calling all couch potatos -- From couch to 5K! (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=138710)

JenofWi Sat, Dec-13-03 12:57

Hi. I ran 25 minutes on Friday. It was fine, I feel back on track. I ran on the treadmill. I am getting bored running long distances on the track. Our track is very short - 20 times around is a mile - and so its super dull.
I may find another of my gym's locations to switch to just for variety. I think they all have longer tracks.

Korry - You're plan is pretty intense. It looks like a good one. I plan on adding more days after I finish this plan. I wonder if I could just add another day at that point or if I have to do it little by little. Before doing this scheduled plan I used to sprint at the end of my runs just because it felt so good. I'm not doing it now though because I really want to follow my plan closely.

I'm thinking I may try to do a 5k this spring or summer. We'll see.

I may try to run tomorrow (Sunday) because my Monday promises to be really busy. Depends on how our day goes.

Hope everyone is well. How are you doing Kayaker - any more rainy runs?

korry1977 Sun, Dec-14-03 00:54

Yeah... I want to continue on to a training program after this... but due to schedule constraints I will have to think about it... for anyone...

I really want to increase my pace speed... (I always been a slow runner) (run 5mph right now) to a faster pace...

Any suggestions?

Korry

korry1977 Tue, Dec-16-03 18:46

gonna go jog tonight!!

JenofWi Wed, Dec-17-03 18:03

I ran on Tuesday and it went well. Today I went to work but didn't have time to run (I work at the daycare of my gym) so I took a quick sauna. :)
Tonight I'm pretty sure I'm looking at my daughter's new case of pink eye. That means no exposure to other kids for a week or so. Grrrrrrrr.
Oh well. The poor kid!
I hope you have a good run. At which point are you? Like I've said before I'm running 25 minutes 3 times a week. I know your plan is different.
Sorry I have no advice for running faster - I'm pretty slow on purpose. I think I read on the Runner's World website that beginners should go slow. I think after I get to the end of this program I'll aim to add a day a week and then try to speed up a little. I might try some of the programs to run a 5k this summer. I think some of them focus on speed a little. They all recommend running for a few months before training for any races.
Best of luck

korry1977 Wed, Dec-17-03 18:18

Didnt jog yesterday... ran out of time... (no pun intended :) ) Hopefully run tonight or tommorow.. but I think I should stick to the day time runs... getting chilly at night... lol...

Your right... it (http://www.runningplanet.com/) does say take it slow... but just wanted to know people's perspective on it...

Right now I am at 5min run / 5 min walk... its going ok... but I think I can handle less rest time...

Thanks for the reply,
Korry

JenofWi Wed, Jan-07-04 09:53

Well. I don't know if this thread has died again or not. I had to take two whole weeks off due to my kids various illnesses. Now everyone is finally all better and Im back to running. I'm on 26 1/2 minutes. I'll bet I'm doing the longest "9" weeks ever but I'm committed to running and am trying to take a more long term view.
We've decided to buy a treadmill when we get our tax returns this year. That will make it much easier as my kids are young and paying for their daycare time adds up. Also, this will let me get my run it even when they are under the weather.
Hope everyone has been too busy running to respond. :)

korry1977 Wed, Jan-07-04 17:09

Wow...

Talk about a quick couple of months!!!

Well, I know I didnt reach my goal, but hey, when life hands you a pair of lemons, make lemonade!

Also, I had other things in my life that were going on... wonderful things... like I got engaged to my sweethart on Dec 27th. She is wonderful...

In that sense, I feel like a success...

:yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay:

Have a good one,
Korry

JenofWi Thu, Jan-08-04 11:27

Congratulations. What great news!!!! When's the big day?

JenofWi Fri, Feb-20-04 21:43

Well, it's been a while since there have been any posts but I am still working on my running goal. I am down from where I was. I went on vacation for two weeks and then my kids were sick...but... I am back on track though only at 20 minutes a run.
I would love some company!!!!!

Candles Wed, Dec-22-04 18:22

Hi there it has been a year since I was last here and since then I have a new addition to our family and trying to get back on track.....Had big success...and hope to keep going Dr put me on a diet and lost 16 pounds while pregnant and lost another 18 pounds after the baby was born. Hope to hear from everyone

Love Candles