Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Newbies' Questions (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   Name your 5 favorite foods on Aktins (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=111685)

EarthMamma Fri, Jun-13-03 22:47

HUH??

The cheesecake has 777 mg or Grams Carb? And I can REALLY have this during induction??!! YAHOO!!!!

Nat490 Sat, Jun-14-03 00:07

Too funny, I am making this Jell-o Cheesecake tomarrow. Having company coming for dinner. Boy are they going to be surprised with a roast beef, broccoli, salad and one baked patotoe for our guest. The rest of us are LCing it. :)

vickiel Sat, Jun-14-03 15:47

Avocados

favorite breakfast: 4" x 4" slice of very thin VERY dense and fiber-filled German bread (available ~ Whole Foods Market) toasted, with 2 oz of cheese melted on top.

favorite lunch: home made ham salad- chopped ham with mayo and a half tsp of sweet relish.

favorite after dinner snack: cream cheese mixed with chopped walnuts, cinnemon and a touch of Splenda.

sessa555 Sat, Jun-14-03 17:00

I'm on my 3rd week of induction and these have been some of my fave's so far...

1. McDonald's Bacon Ranch salad w/ grilled chicken...I take out the tomatoes and carrots and eat it with Hidden Valley Three Cheese Ranch (1 carb/tbsp) instead of the Newman's Own Ranch that comes with it (4 carbs/tbsp). These salads are the best ever!

2. Diet Vanilla Coke...this really helped get me through the first week since I'm a life-long soda addict. The diet Vanilla Coke tastes alot less like 'diet' than regular diet Coke does. However, I haven't had any this week...just water! I'm very proud of myself.

3. Starbucks...Grande iced decaf Americano w/ sugar-free vanilla and an inch of heavy cream. (an Americano is made w/ water instead of milk, but by adding the heavy cream it tastes like a latte!) Yes, it is the biggest pain in the butt to order, but all of the baristas at my local starbucks know my drink now, and it is SO GOOD. Like my soda addiction, I was also VERY addicted to fancy espresso drinks, especially Frappacinos (I used to work in a coffee house!) and this has saved my dieting life on several occassions. Any coffee shop can make this drink, I just happened to prefer Starbucks. I estimate 4 carbs for it. TRULY TRY THIS IT'S INCREDIBLE!

4. Pepperoni 'chips.' I buy a package of the pepperoni pizza topping rounds and lay them out on a paper towel on a plate, and cover them w/ another paper towel. Microwave them for 3 1/2 mins, and you have crispy pepperoni chips that are a great substitute for their potatoe counterpart! For less salty, try making them w/ canadian bacon rounds instead of pepperoni.

5. Bacon Cheese Burger. I buy frozen hamburger patties, then when its time for dinner I throw one on the George Forman Grill (a wonderful invention) and let it cook for 3 minutes. Then I open the grill and put 3 stips of bacon on top of the burger and let it finish cooking together. When it's done I add a slice of cheese on top and there ya go, a 7 minute dinner that is very yummy!

Those have been my staples and the Americano is my new 'comfort food.' I also eat Atkins bars, egg salad, and lots of smoked salmon (the packaged kind from the deli) w/ cream cheese. Another good one is baby salad shrimp in melted butter! Happy eating!!

--Sessa

sessa555 Sat, Jun-14-03 22:49

One more...tuna salad on toasted Atkins country white bread w/ cheddar melted on top! Yummy!

Eri Z Sat, Aug-16-03 19:47

AVOCADOs--they were my fruit until I could eat berries on OWL!!!!
I love eggs, lamb,
sweet red peppers with a little blue cheese dressing
iced coffee with splenda and cream (it is so yummy!!!!)
And I'm rarely hungry between meals!
Happy eating!
Eri

coho7 Sat, Aug-16-03 20:46

1. Eggs with homemade pesto
2. Bacon, bacon, bacon
3. Hamburger with melted cheddar cheese and grilled red onions
4. Fresh mozzarella with tomato slices, fresh basil and lots of super good olive oil
5. BBQ Country Style Pork Ribs - my hubby makes an awsome rub!

wendy858 Sat, Aug-16-03 21:15

This is only my 5th day, but there is one meal that I find particularly satisfying.

I try to cook bacon ahead of time and keep it in the fridge. It's always there to add to whatever I'm eating or just to snack on!

Anyway, here's my fav so far;

2 fried eggs
Just before the eggs are done, lay 2 slices of sharp cheddar on each egg and 3 or 4 half strips of bacon.

Put the lid on the pan for a minute or two to warm the bacon (that is, if you just took it out of the fridge!) and melt the cheese.

OMG mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

laribien Sat, Aug-16-03 23:14

Getin' me through:
1) sliced cheddar nuked until crispy; dip in cheese grease, yum!
2) low fat tortillas w/ smoked salmon crm cheese, green onion
3) atkins cheesecake - just no crust and Splenda, rest the same!
4) cucumbers fresh from my garden!
5) celery and PB; not 100% legal but a total treat!

Nat490 Sun, Aug-17-03 00:45

hi laribien,
Thank you for the wonderful idea of the low fat tortillas w/ smoked salmon crm cheese, green onion. I really love smoked salmon on rye bread or bagels this way and can't have it. Never thought of using the tortilla in place of the bread or bagels. You have made it possible for me to have a nice treat again for lunch. I have been just taking the salmon and wrapping the it around the cream cheese mixed with green onion. Also added the it to a salad mixed in the cream cheese.

Nancy

laribien Sun, Aug-17-03 01:01

whoops on tortillas

hi nancy and others......

I mistakenly typed 'low fat tortillas' but meant low CARB, of course! Our health food stores carry them here in Mich for not much more than reg tortillas...3-5 carbs apiece, doesn't feel terrible for bread products! They have many different flavors, well worth it to me. Sorry ofr the mixup!

Nat490 Sun, Aug-17-03 01:39

That's okay laribien,
Figured you ment La Tortillas Low Carb Tortillas. Thank goodness most of our markets here in my little town now carry them but most only in the wheat. Here at my daughters Alberstsons Grocery Store carries them in both the 3 gram carb size and a larger 5 grams size in all flavors.
For those who don't know about these little wonders that are so great to wrap most anything in or just toast and eat with a couple of table spoons of salas. Check them out here http://www.latortillafactory.com/LOWCARBoverview.htm

Nancy

tbaker Sun, Aug-17-03 08:22

Muzikgal, Your jello dish sounds so good. I'm guessing thats a whole container of cream cheese as well as whipping cream.

MaryToU Sun, Aug-17-03 09:15

Eggs Benedict -> minus the english muffin ofcourse!

Ranch Jack Chicken -> the whole family loves this!

Deep Dish Quiche Pizza

Steak!

Cheese!

Kristine Sun, Aug-17-03 09:30

My five faves?

Scrambled eggs, fried eggs, poached eggs, hard-boiled eggs and soft-boiled eggs. :lol:

Okay, seriously:
1) Eggs
2) CHEESE!
3) Coffee with *real* cream :yum:
4) *Real* salad dressing
5) Burgers

After over a year of low-carbing, my favorite foods still seem to be the things I denied myself for so long while doing the low fat thing. :rolleyes: