Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Poll - Atkins Induction - How many days until loosing the carb withdrawl symtoms? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=108597)

scanance65 Sun, Jun-08-03 21:43

Isphet

I know what you mean. I read all the posts and get so discouraged reading them all. I just want to not worry about everything i read. I have had pretty easy time!!!! wondering if I am doing it wrong!!!!!! LOL

adkpam Wed, Oct-29-03 10:58

I didn't feel crappy so much as I felt tired...like I'd been swimming for hours, you know how all your muscles get tired?
But when the energy came back, it was with a roar. I was getting up at 5 in the morning and writing until it was time to go to work.
It doesn't do that anymore, but I have generally high energy AND good sleeping since eating this way.

komireds Wed, Oct-29-03 18:56

I was feeling awful until about day 8. It's day 10 for me now and I feel wonderful!

nwtatkins Wed, Oct-29-03 19:10

I went from eating two doughnuts every morning, a chocolate bar by mid morning, another few bars at lunch and a large milkshake every afternoon to zero.

Day 1 and 2 were sheer hell. Headaches, nausea, extremely tired, and wanting sugar so bad I could die. I felt so horrible I wanted to quit.

I hung in there and Day 3 I felt like a new person. It was a transformation that I was hoping for but did not expect.

Although at times I still long for all those sweets, I know what I am setting myself up for if I ever go back.

pcsqueen Thu, Oct-30-03 07:28

I spent three weeks on Induction and life was a living hell.

The worst were the PVCs (heart palpitations) that were constant - which, after a while began to really frighten me. I often get short blips of PVCs, but this was way over the top. I tried potassium supplements, then additional magnesium; nothing worked. I decided that dying young and leaving a good-looking, thinner corpse was NOT the way I wanted to go! :lol:

In addition, I was dizzy, suffered from terrific headaches, couldn't sleep, and had zero - and I mean zero - energy.

Last week, I said, "To hell with this!" and added additional complex carbs back into my diet. Mind you, that doesn't mean I went on a Breyer's binge; I just began eating more vegs, an occasional bowl of steel cut oats, and an apple or two.
Also, I re-read Atkins Age-Defying Diet and decided that that would be my plan.

Now, I'm back at the gym. Four days per week, I do an hour of weights and 45 minutes of cardio. Two other days, I do between an hour and 90 minutes of cardio; no weights.

Doubt that I'll ever do Induction again, but I gotta say, I still believe strongly in the Good Doctor.

ElizabethH Thu, Oct-30-03 17:33

Withdrawl

I started Atkins on Monday and today (day four) I feel quite lightheaded and headachey. I've been craving sugar all afternoon as well. My husband also started Atkins on Monday and hasn't had any symptoms. Hopefully I'll feel better soon...

DerBlumers Thu, Oct-30-03 23:34

I never lost my carb cravings until my 9th week of induction...when I realized that I had to fight the "dreaded" candida albicans (more commonly known as YEAST)...only two days after I started the stricter regimen I lost all craving!! (I also lost no more than three lbs. before I started .... now I've been steadily losing every week! :D )

eric909 Sat, Nov-08-03 08:29

Hi,

I had bad symtoms on day 2 but went away on day 3 and im on day 4 now with a headache. I suspected it would be hard on the body going from 800carbs a day to 20 :roll:

Smudgie Sat, Nov-08-03 23:49

5 days is the magic number for me. That's how long it took for the withdrawal symptoms to go during induction, and every time I eat too many carbs, that is how long it takes before I feel better.

leborland Sun, Nov-09-03 09:17

When I first heard about Atkins, I didn't have the book and I was out of town. I decided to just try eliminating the foods that I knew had a lot of carbs. I had no symptoms, but I wasn't doing induction. Then about a week later I got home and bought the book. I started doing induction with a carb counter and stayed on it pretty strictly. The only problem I had was constipation, but that's not a withdrawal symptom. Maybe moving into it without an abrupt change from high carb to induction is what saved me.

miabella Sun, Nov-09-03 14:36

I had a continous headache on days 2and 3, and then woke with a headache on days 4 and 5 - Today is day 7, no headaches no cravings. :)

Velvet Mon, Nov-17-03 05:34

Yes, the good news is that as the withdrawal symptoms peak, they are quickly replaced by the more energy/better sleep feeling. It's not that you necessarily feel like Superman/woman, you just start to realise that you are not getting that 4pm slump any more and don't feel tired all the time.

ncwingnut Mon, Nov-17-03 06:45

withdrawls

I never really had any withdrawl symptoms. If I did, I ignored them, lol. I always get headaches, because of an injury to my neck from a few years ago, so I can't say that I got them from carb withdrawl.

Lynn

Ohio Kim Mon, Nov-17-03 08:22

I didn't have a headache, but felt like I was walking around in sort of a daze for about the first 2 or 3 days. Then, everything went away and I felt like my old self.

tamborine Tue, Nov-18-03 13:43

The first 3 days I felt fatigued, but no headaches, nausea, etc. Then I got a burst of energy and felt better than I had in years (still feeling pretty good 10 months later!).

The worst part of induction for me was psychological. For the first couple of weeks, I was LITERALLY dreaming about eating pizza, which had always been the main staple of my diet. That went away after a while, and now I can even watch others eat my former favorite without giving in. Haven't had a slice since I started Atkins!

Maryann