Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Canada (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Yukon? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=83607)

IslandGirl Wed, Oct-01-03 13:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ykmaggie

...I bought bread mix, syrop and low carb tortillas at the Victoria one below:
www.lowcarbcanada.ca
Maggie

Actually, that's
www.LowCarbCanada.com (so the link works if anyone else tries it here...).

NOT_MINIME Wed, Oct-01-03 19:51

Maggie-- Riverside will be pleased to hear you want more. Right now (well last Friday anyway) they had LC pasta, muffin mix, cereal, Atkins syrup and waffle/pancake mix.

Here's my take on everything since I bought it all. Next time I'll order from Wendy, but I didn't know before ordering...

LC pasta-- I bought the tomato/basil fetticcine by Heart-Healthy, 7grams per serving. It says cook for 18 minutes. I cooked for 20-21 and it was still kind-of rubbery. So I added a bunch of meatballs and a ton of cheese and broiled. Still not the greatest, but in a pinch I would eat again.

Atkins Blueberry muffins-- oops. Haven't tried this one yet.

Atkins pancakes and syrup--yummy. Just yummy and took any craving I had away. At 3grams, pretty good stuff.

Flax cereal-- I thought I had died and gone to heaven. This is the most delicious cereal (hot) that I have ever tasted. A dash of cinnamon and it is to die for.

Muffins-- From Riverside. Its the one that looks like corn muffins. Unusual colour but pretty good. Not like real muffins, but not bad at all. I would add 2 packages of Splenda next time because its not sweet enough for me. And I don't even like sweets except....

Ross Chocolate bars-- OK. I have now tried every one. They are to die for. At Riverside hidden in with all the chocolate bars. My top 3 are the dark chocolate, orange and mint.. I have 3 or 4 pieces for desert or snack in the evening and I feel like I'm cheating. Shiver.............. :thup: :p

And Walmart stocks my morning drink--EAS carb control drinks. Some mornings I just can't stomach another egg, so its a piece of roast beef and drink. Pretty filling.

Who else have tried stuff and what is your critique?

ME

ykmaggie Wed, Oct-01-03 21:28

Minnie's food report

This is too weird, being from Whitehorse and talking on the forum with Yukoners!

I can't believe Riverside has all that stuff! I ordered mine from the Island and Vancouver. I miss hot cereal so much. So glad to hear it tastes good.

I was in Riverside the other day scouting around the pasta for LC stuff and didn't see any. I probably won't buy any until I get my order from Vancouver. I ordered Pastalia pasta.

I've never heard of "carb control" drinks, but I'll definately head to Wal Mart tomorrow. Obsessed, yes! I noticed on my profile when I signed back in here that I'm only 10lbs less than this time last year! All that messing around and I still have 20 to lose...

I baked the Atkins Blueberry muffins last night. They're awesome!! I've hidden them from the kids (three teenagers) in the freezer.

I had Atkins pancakes this morning and I thought they were ok. I didn't like the texture particularly. I've ordered some banana kind from Vancouver and will report on that when I taste.

Thanks for letting me know about your taste tests and what's available here. I'll be marching to Riverside in the AM to get the cereal. Wouldn't it be nice if we can get them to bring in LC bread and tortillas? I already buy Eziekal 4/9 bread there, approx 10 gms minus the fiber. It's awesome toasted. I have a slice every other day or so.

The tortillas I want for my baja kayaking trip. I hope they're good!

Take care

Maggie

NOT_MINIME Wed, Oct-01-03 21:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by ykmaggie
I already buy Eziekal 4/9 bread there, approx 10 gms minus the fiber. It's awesome toasted.

OK Maggie-- Where do you get this bread? I would die for a real piece of toast...
:thup:

In Walmart they've mocved the carb control drinks. Be careful you don't get the regular drink. They are both in a silver container and only difference is one has Carb Control on it. I prefer the chocolate or vanilla one, but the strawberry is OK in a pinch. But have these very cold when drinking. Hideous if warm. Shudder...

I love meeting all of you other Yukoners! Yahoo!!!!!!!!!

ykmaggie Wed, Oct-01-03 22:50

Thanks Minnie

Hey we should do our own version of a low carb dinner here in Whitehorse. I love to cook Thai and I'm sure I could put on a feast :)

I just talked to Leona at Riverside. She's looking into ordering from LowCarbCanada.ca, the La Tortilla Factory Tortillas, Fernando's bread, Pastalia pasta etc. She's concerned about shipping costs, but I told her to talk to Island Girl. I'm going to touch base in a few days and see what she found out.

Apparently she already carries low carb ketchup, syrop and the stuff you told me about. I should of known they would have everything!

I'm hoping she can regularly stock the tortillas and some bread.

I get the eziekel bread in the back in the freezer. It's awesome but not super low to have every day...

Should I post about a dinner? I have a big house with a big kitchen and dining room..

Maggie

YukonSun Thu, Oct-02-03 19:56

Tami how long have you been working out at Curves? I worked there until a couple months ago.
Thanks for the info on Riverside, I never would have known. Looking forward to checking out the hot cereal.
Tammy

ykmaggie Thu, Oct-02-03 20:35

Hi

I went to Riverside today and bought low carb ketchup (0 gms), Bob's high gluten flour $8.00, and Flax O meal cereal. Then I went to Food Fair and bought Garbonzo bean flour, Flax meal, Oat Flour and more high gluten flour ($4!). I made LC bread today, it's not bad at all...

I also bought a large container of whey protein at that health supply store in Horwoods mall - $35.

I'm going to experiment by using the flours and protein powder to make different bread, pancakes and muffins.

I think we're in good shape in Whitehorse after all...

Maggie

TamiOrr Thu, Oct-02-03 21:09

who knew Riverside would be so well stocked? I think I will check it out tomorrow..:)

How did the bread turn out?

ykmaggie Thu, Oct-02-03 22:19

Hi Tammy

The bread is ok. Even my 16 yr old daughter liked it. I told her if she touched the blueberry muffins in the freezer she would be shot!! HEE HEE

I don't have a breadmaker and I found the dough so sticky, I could hardly get it off my hands. I prefer the Eziekel bread in the freezer at 10 gms a slice. I had one for breakfast. The LC bread is nice to have tho, I'll keep trying different recipes and I'll probably buy a bread maker.

Riverside is expensive, gulp. The Pastalia pasta I bought was $12.00, the Flaxomeal cereal the same. There's a LC carb pizza mix (2 crusts) for $12. The flour products I bought at Food Fair were very inexpensive compared to the mixes, I think I can make a good pizza crust for probably $2.

I'm toying with asking Food Fair to carry some items. They have been excellent in the past with bringing in specialty things. I might call up Mike Palamar tomorrow.

My family is happy that I'm happy with all the new food I get to eat. That's nice. I have plans to make Tortierre with my LC flour as a crust, strawberry rubarb pie, caribou stew with dumplings, chicken pot pie, cheese scones....I'm in heaven!

20 lbs to go till we leave on December 14. I really want this, I hope I can do it.
I'm picking up a food dehydrator on the weekend from someone who sells a really nice 6 tray variety. I'm going to make jerky, dried boca burgers, zuccinni chips, dried veges and anything else I can think of for our trip...sauces.

Good luck at Riverside. I noticed a large container of some granular sugar replacement stuff for baking, thank goodness I stopped myself before I bought it for $25! Work is slow for me right now and I really need to pick up a new contract so I can afford all these things...

Take a look at the flours at Food Fair. They have an impressive selection and not too expensive...

Maggie

2Airedales Fri, Oct-03-03 14:47

Thanks for all the info Maggie! Can you post your recipes once you've developed them. You sound like quite the chef. And to think I buy my flour at 3 beans, if I had known I would have shopped at Food Fair.

ykmaggie Sat, Oct-04-03 10:03

Thanks Pascale

I'm making pizza tonight, like Giorgios with homeaide pesto, sundried tomatoes and shrimp, and strawberry rubarb pie with LC ice cream made in my ice cream maker.

Tomorrow I'm making nori sushi rolls with shrimp, avacado and cucumber.

I'll post back to let you know how they worked out...

Maggie