Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Beginner/Low Intensity (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   What is your favorite work-out video? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=47271)

stauffert Fri, Oct-18-02 14:35

I put in my vote for Tae Bo. The advanced version is a killer. You get a great cardio and toning workout without weights.

T :hyper:

fitmaam Sun, Oct-20-02 19:07

This is my first post here and I'm so glad it's on this thread. I've been a video exerciser since the mid 1980's. I've been doing the Firm most of these years (I have almost all their videos) with fantastic results. A few years ago I branched out to Cathe Friedrich. I cross train with The Firm and Cathe. I also have a few others...Fitprime (a new company by the original creator of The Firm, Anna Benson), Karen Voight's Great Weighted Workout, and Christy Taylor. I have approximately 90 videos and I do them all for lots of variety.

mickster Wed, Nov-13-02 11:24

Kathy Smith Kickboxing!!!

I see a couple people mentioned Kathy Smith's kickboxing, I love that tape. It's the first home video workout that I was able to "Get into" enough to use religiously.

I lost 40 pounds and totally toned myself with it last year. Needless to say I had some personal shake ups that hindered my workout schedule, I gained 30 pounds back and I haven't been able to really get back on the horse.

I'm gonna go dust off Kathy and get back to work, TONIGHT. :D

Lessara Wed, Nov-20-02 15:32

Ok I'm a whimp

I love my sweating to the oldies tapes by Richard Simmons.. they are so much fun and my kids join in. They are great on days when you don't feel like going outside. :thup:

Trish02 Mon, Dec-02-02 20:34

TaeBo definitely. I've been doing the basic 25m tape 5-6 days a week for the last 3 weeks and I just started the 60m advanced on the weekend, plan to rotate between the two.

Great workout either way you do them :)

hetoame Sun, Dec-15-02 17:33

THE FIRM

I recently started the Firm. Man, these tapes are so great!! I just got a DVD that is over an hour long but you can program it anyway you want and wittle it down a bit if you're not up to the whole hour (I'm not yet). I do the upper body video tape on one day and the lower body the next then the cardio sculpt DVD on the next. You can get the tapes on Ebay for cheap and just use your own stool (rather than buy theirs - it's pricey!). Walmart has inexpensive weights.

Heather

Firmdiva Sat, Dec-21-02 19:22

The FIRM baby! :D

Tricia0923 Sat, Dec-21-02 23:47

my absolute favorite is the Power 90 videos from beach body.com. They promote a different kind of diet, but the results are visible and the workouts are doable. Il like it that you can see a time down and that it is easy to do and coached really well. They have other videos as well - I hope to do Slim in Six when I get closer to my goal weight - happy video hunting .

:wave:

kelleyb Sun, Dec-22-02 17:49

I just bought Power 90!

Tricia, how long have you been doing P-90? I agree--it looks really common-sense and do-able. Do you use the resistance bands or weights? The diet is different, but still "relatively" low carb if you follow the top 2 tiers. They do have some exceptions, like bananas and raisins, etc. but I'll just eliminate those that I know will give me trouble. I'm really interested in your opinion, since you're not affiliated with bb.com!!! ;) Do you take advantage of the website support? I'm starting tomorrow!

Kelley

wwdimmitt Sun, Dec-22-02 19:05

Cross Country Skiing - Worldwide

Nordic Trak has been my exercise method of choice for the past 15 years. It is a great workout, and completely adjustable to the individual and to personal attitudes for a particular day.

I have a series of video tapes, some from Nordic Trak, others from skiing and climbing clubs, which give me a virtual tour of ski areas and mountain climbing while I do my workout.

When you can't get outside to do the real thing, this is a great substitute.

One of the best things about Nordic Trak, for me, is how well and how quickly it strengthens the lower back, even while burning lots of fat and building cardio endurance. Good for us old guys!

fitmaam Sun, Dec-22-02 19:35

I just thought of something that would be really cool and I bet it's the exercise rage of the future. Virtual exercise videos. You're hooked up to an exercise machine that simulates some kind of sport like skiing and workout to a video that challenges you on the virtual slopes. You can go fast, slow, go around trees, mogules etc. etc.

Tricia0923 Sun, Dec-22-02 21:02

Hi Kelly,
I have been doing it for 3 weeks now - there is a huge difference in my ability to bend and run and I can do the push ups now - I a getting stronger and have lost inches - I still have a long way to go, but I truly like the program and plan to stay with it to day 90 ad beyond. I use 5 pound weights and take their fat burning vitamins as my vitamin supplement. I bought the resistance bands,but I like the weights. I like the DVD, but I also have the Videos. If you like structure and something that is challenging yet doable as well as fast - they have a motto of from power to shower in under an hour. Let me know if you have any other questions. I see that you have been doing well on the Atkins plan - keep it up! :wave:

Jerrie Mon, Dec-23-02 11:46

workout videos

I too have a membership to the gym which I should use more often. But when I want a change of pace I like Richard Simmons Sweatin to the Oldies #2 I like dancing to the music. I also like Denise Austin and for weight work I like Rachel Mclish.

I would love to try the taebo videos they look like a lot of fun & work and my daughter would probably do it with me to keep in shape for basketball.

Instead of buying them right off the bat I think I will go to the video store and rent them or the library. If I like them then I will buy them. ;)

Happy exercising

sheilaraye Mon, Dec-23-02 22:23

Interesting thread. I'm almost at goal and have to admit
I do not exercise at all. I would like to start and have
been looking at exercise videos (I own ZERO exercise
videos). Also I saw a Pilates set at Sears that had thick
rubbery clear blue bands, a fitness ball, a mat, and a
video. All for around $40. Thinking about it.
Taebo looks fun but my living room is not huge and I am
afraid I'd kick the TV off.
Anyone have the Pilates set?

kelleyb Tue, Dec-24-02 08:58

Pilates

Shelia, I don't have the Sears pilates set, but I have used the ball, mat, etc. that comes with the kit. It's pretty amazing what can be done with the exercise ball! Does it come with a resistance tube as well? I use that a lot and it's just like lifting weights, but it "travels" well. You're so close to goal that I'll bet exercising will really tone you nicely. I feel so much better now that I exercise, but I don't see much muscle definition because there's still too much fat over my muscles, LOL!
Kelley

missolly Sat, Jan-11-03 14:06

it has to be the Hotpants Workout with Dan Karaty.. gotta love it

mercer45 Wed, Jan-15-03 19:48

gotta love Karen Voight

Karen Voight has some awesome videos and DVDs. I especially love her Yoga Fusion (30 mins. strength and 30 mins. relaxation) and her Firm and Burn. Her teaching is impeccable and she looks so fit that she is very motivating. Hard to believe she is in her mid to upper 40s.

Digitalgrl Thu, Jan-16-03 10:33

go cindy

My all time favorite workout tapes are the Cindy Crawford series. Not only are they not boring to watch (they look more like a music video) but the workout has always been very challenging. It combines leg work (which gets you sweating) weights and ab work.

Her second tape "the next challenge" is pretty tricky. I recommend starting with her first one.

smiley Sun, Jan-19-03 06:27

windsor pilates

I have the video package for Windsor Pilates

It took a long time for me to execute some of the moves, never realized how wimpy my abdominals really were!!

But it does get easier, but patience is necessary--You really need to work on positioning and breathing properly

I feel my abs now,something that in the past no matter how many crunches I did, I never felt they were worked!!

ZukieDuke Sat, Mar-08-03 07:45

Hands down...I LOVE THE FIRM!!!! I have almost all of the classics (some of them are harder to find than others) and patiently waiting for the new Fit Primes to arrive.... :wave:

Cabesa Wed, Mar-19-03 12:11

OH OH OH!!!!! Pick up any of Minna Lessig's videos. I am so serious. She knows what to do. Everytime I stay consistent with them I see results. I have about 4 different video's. Check 'em out now!!!!! :D :thup:

jesdorka Wed, Mar-19-03 12:32

i like leslie sansone's old tapes"walk aerobics" and "advanced walk aerobics". i just bought her "walk away the pounds 1,2,&3" dvd which i like too. i find she talks way too much so i listen to her a few times to learn the routine and once i've done that i mute her and put on my own music and it's great. :D

Shadow01 Wed, Apr-02-03 09:43

FitPrime and the FIRM - Anna Benson rocks :D

graphiste Fri, Apr-04-03 11:19

Firm rocks

My recommendations for GREAT workouts:

FIRM – most are great but my faves are:

Super Cardio
Super Sculpting
Tortoise & Hare
Body Sculpt & Cardio Sculpt (new ones with new fanny lifter)
Super Cardio Sculpt & Cardio Sculpt Blaster ( shorter than old FIRMS,
only 30-40 min) they are very time effeceint but get your heart rate up

KATHY SMITH

I used to really like all her tapes but I find them less effective now that
I have become more fit. But I still really like:

Aerobox (gets you breathless)
Kickbox - very empowering

BRYAN KEST POWER YOGA

I have three tapes Energize, Tone & Sweat. Who knew that yoga could
be hard and build muscle - well look ar Madonna. Plus he is very, very
good looking to watch doing yoga - what a bod!
www.poweryoga.com

CRUNCH

I have three yoga tapes (hatha yoga - not hard just good strecthing)
Joy of Yoga, Fat Burning Yoga & Candlelight Yoga. I also like Boot Camp
and Burn & Firm but they haven't been used much since i discovered
The FIRM!

KAREN VOIGHT
Love her Pilates Body Reform series. You can actually work your
inner thighs crazy!!! If you ever watched any of her earlrier tapes
and tehy watch this one ...her boob job is very obvious!

WINSOR PILATES
Mari Winsor and her class of wooden students are annoying but it
is a good workout to alternate with cardio & weight training.
I have all seven tapes. the best are Advanced Body Slimming &
Buns and Thighs

GAIAM/ LIVING ARTS
Great Yoga (am yoga & stress relief yoga) and AMAZING Pilates
tapes. the best is Body Band Workout with Ana Caban.
www.gaiam.com a very cool site

So I alternate all these tapes with a cool dvd I got of bellydancing by Dolphina. If you get bored, you will lose motivation...so don't get bored!! :thup:

bigguyjonc Mon, Apr-07-03 17:53

that is so funny...

Jes,

I do the SAME thing with walk away the pounds.(listen to my own music)If I hear leslie say "how bout that good posture all the way threw your life..how bout that " i think i will kill myself. And another thing...it really bugs me when that one woman always pats her butt. Oh and people are always walking and kicking out of sinc. I think i've done that tape too many times.

I have a new favorite tape though (actually dvd). It's the Fitness heaven top ten workouts. 12 hours of workouts for 14 bucks at media play. Most of the workouts suck but i really really love the "kick butt I" and "kick butt II" it's like tybo only alot more fun! Also there is a good pilates workout and yoga one too.

Jon :rose:

I'm going to do my "kickbutt II" tape right now.

CAKES66 Fri, Apr-11-03 15:21

Reebok step aerobics

The Reeboks step aerobics is very challenging if you're into stepping.
I'm so glad I found this thread. I'm bidding for the winsor pilates set. It looks like a good one.
I also have the Taebo series but it's hard on my ankle.

Good thread :wave:

Have a great LC day

AntiM Sun, Apr-13-03 23:34

Bellydancing

Quote:
Originally posted by graphiste
So I alternate all these tapes with a cool dvd I got of bellydancing by Dolphina.

Graphiste (and all interested parties),

I'm looking for a beginners bellydancing dvd ... would you recommend this one or is it for folks who already have some experience with this kind of dance?

Thanks!

wordlady Mon, Apr-14-03 15:54

Can anyone recommend fun/effective DANCE workout videos?

Since moving away from an area where Jazzercise is taught, I miss it SO much. Dancing was FUN, challenging, and the hour FLEW by.

I want to DANCE and do some floor work.

Any recommendations?

SummerYet Sun, Apr-20-03 07:32

Leslie Sansone

I absolutely LOVE the Leslie Sansone WAP tapes. I havent gotten to the annoyed level yet. LOL

Quote:
If I hear leslie say "how bout that good posture all the way threw your life..how bout that " i think i will kill myself. And another thing...it really bugs me when that one woman always pats her butt. Oh and people are always walking and kicking out of sinc.

I laughed at this...She IS a little too cheery, and they aren't perfect, but that is one thing I like about it - they are REAL people. They mess up and so do I. I like that it is always the same people in the series cause they almost become (for lack of a better word) like family. And Debbie (yes I know their names :rolleyes: ) does talk about her butt a lot. The worst is - I never feel it in my butt...I feel it in my legs! LOL
Thanks for the laugh Jon :) I won't watch it in the same way tomorrow morning :lol:

~Michelle

graphiste Mon, Apr-21-03 16:30

ATTN AntiM. re bellydancing

well its says " BEYOND BASICS" but I have never done any bellydacning befor and can follow along no problem. Her cueing is OK and its not that fast pased but WOW

can you ever feel it in your obliques!

I DO NOT like to shimmy though! I feel funny, silly, weirded-out just shaking m belly and thighs!!!

So yah , its pretty good stuff.