Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   ? on keeping supplies at work (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=440574)

EdithBoyd Fri, Mar-30-12 16:58

There is no supervisor involved and every employee in the building complained about it. Did one person get a burr up their butt and enlist everyone else to go complain to the owner probably so. Can I prove that. No. Does the owner care? No. Who is gonna win? They are. Do they know the law? Very very well now that I think about it.

raven132 Sat, Mar-31-12 10:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdithBoyd
There is no supervisor involved and every employee in the building complained about it. Did one person get a burr up their butt and enlist everyone else to go complain to the owner probably so. Can I prove that. No. Does the owner care? No. Who is gonna win? They are. Do they know the law? Very very well now that I think about it.

I hate bullying, and for adults to act like this is just so sophomoric. If I were a millionaire I would send you a top lawyer so you could fight this ridiculous attitude. I can't imagine how frustrating this must be for you.

RobLL Sun, Apr-01-12 10:00

Keep Records

EdithBoyd Wed, Apr-11-12 18:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven132
I hate bullying, and for adults to act like this is just so sophomoric. If I were a millionaire I would send you a top lawyer so you could fight this ridiculous attitude. I can't imagine how frustrating this must be for you.

Money for an attorney is not what I need. If it wasn't for WHERE I work and WHO I work for I would get an attorney I can afford one, that's NOT the issue :spin:

JoyceGill Thu, Apr-12-12 04:23

From what I am reading from your replies I think you are basically saying what has happened at work is not fair but rather than cause awkwardness at work by using the laws available to you, you would rather comply with their request. I can understand that point of view and empathize with you.

I know things are different in the UK but I am sure there must be an equivalent product in the US. In the UK we can buy a cool 'bag' made by FRIO http://diabetesfrio.com/ they are very discrete and once you have bought one it is free to keep cool as you only need cold water. You can then keep it in your bag all day. I use one of these when I travel and they work great.

I wouldn't normally suggest using the toilet cubicle to inject (it is obviously not the most hygienic place to be), but if you don't want to make waves at work then it is doable so long as you keep things off the floor.

Good luck with sorting this out as we all want to feel comfortable at work.

RachelBB Thu, Apr-12-12 15:47

An insulated lunch sack with some blue ice keeps insulin cold very nicely. A syringe or two, your travel meter and some prep pads should all fit in there quite well. This is your personal bag, no one can go in it without your permission. You can find a private place to test, in a stall if need be, and do this discretely. Or, you can sacrifice your health for some vague reason none of us can quite figure out. Frankly, you're a grown up and can do what you want.

I have had a bad experience with a diabetic co worker. A unit secretary on the hospital wing was diabetic and would use the floor glucose meter. She would leave blood on the monitor and drops of blood on the counter, etc. This was in the early 90s and AIDS phobia was rampant at that hospital. We did have to complain about, it was unhygenic and a safety risk to the staff. I'm pretty sure nothing similar is happening here, but you might want to re-eval how private or public your self care is.

EdithBoyd Sun, Apr-15-12 13:38

No that's not what I am saying that I don't want to use the laws available to fight this.

What I am trying to tell you is I *work for* those laws essentially. My employeer knows the laws very well and there is no way I can win against my employeer. :nono:

EdithBoyd Thu, Aug-02-12 10:06

NO, nothing like the below is happening at all. :nono: Thanks for your reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelBB
An insulated lunch sack with some blue ice keeps insulin cold very nicely. A syringe or two, your travel meter and some prep pads should all fit in there quite well. This is your personal bag, no one can go in it without your permission. You can find a private place to test, in a stall if need be, and do this discretely. Or, you can sacrifice your health for some vague reason none of us can quite figure out. Frankly, you're a grown up and can do what you want.

I have had a bad experience with a diabetic co worker. A unit secretary on the hospital wing was diabetic and would use the floor glucose meter. She would leave blood on the monitor and drops of blood on the counter, etc. This was in the early 90s and AIDS phobia was rampant at that hospital. We did have to complain about, it was unhygenic and a safety risk to the staff. I'm pretty sure nothing similar is happening here, but you might want to re-eval how private or public your self care is.

ICDogg Thu, Aug-02-12 15:57

Not sure if this is helpful but

Insulin pens like Lantus and Novolog these days don't really need constant refrigeration, unless it's an un-air-conditioned hot environment. Once you start one off, it should be good for 28 days out of the fridge.

EdithBoyd Fri, Sep-21-12 10:35

Thanks, I do use the pens. They are real cool. Edith

deandean Sun, Nov-25-12 05:16

Hi. I am new here and I wanted to comment.

I am sure your employer knows about the law. The fact they choose to disregard it is a large problem.

I bet you $10 it is not co workers that are uncomfortable it is the boss who is. By directing the blame to others he can feel good about himself and mistakenly believe that you have no recourse.

I had some dildo get mad at me for checking my level while at my desk. I used to take humulin NPH and its caused me huge lows. If I felt low, I knew I had little time to test and correct. I got mad at the co worker which got me in trouble with the boss. He shut his big mouth when my lawyer contacted him.

Diabetes is hard enough without people trying to be idiots about it.

Gilly07 Wed, Nov-28-12 11:54

I must admit to being "uncomfortable" when I see bottles of injectables or people giving themselves a shot of insulin as I have a severe needle phobia, but I would never dream of asking sombody who needs it to remove them and not inject, they need it to live!!!
I just deal with it and suggest the persons at your workplace do the same!
You have rights, use them!!

bonechew Wed, Nov-28-12 15:07

This is a really old thread....