Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Too thin (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=161295)

lclaura Thu, Jan-22-04 17:28

That is a problem... although i agree with some of the others that i can't wait till i get some of those comments. I don't think that I will get too small--this woe doesn't really allow you to if you are eating enough to be satisfied but not stuffed. Don't worry about it, im sure you look fantastic and congratulations on the weight loss!!!!

bzeus Thu, Jan-22-04 17:30

I imagine I'll hear those same comments from my MIL when I get closer to her weight. (She's about 130 at 5'6") I'm only 5'4" but have always been bigger than her. She won't like it if I'm her size! LOL

LadyBelle Thu, Jan-22-04 17:44

I think it's mostly people are used to seeing you a certain way, and it's a shock. If you had started out really underweight and made it to a healthy weight, they would probably say you are getting too big.

Alot of it too is do they se eyou everyday so they don't notice the changes for a while then all at once, or do they see youoccasionaly so the changes are more noticable over time.

last15 Thu, Jan-22-04 19:24

I, too, hear this stuff all the time. I actually was at goal before the holidays, but stressing as they were, even though I cooked alot of low carb stuff I gained back 5 lbs. And of course it comes back in the middle, so I feel as if I gained 15! ONe comment about the "perkiness" of certain body parts- it is true! of course exercise has something to do with it, but as you lose the fat around the neck, the muscles seem to pull them up, as well as the rear :) That is the only comment my hubby makes about this way of life, aside from the fact that it keeps me mellow and happy!

I, too went through the gaunt stage, but my face has definitely filled back out- I guess that is why I still think I need to lose teehee. I have a friend who thinks this is an obsession- constantly telling me I am obsessed....of course she wants to do atkins but says she can't due to kindey stone history. She went to atkins.com and when she took survey it asks about kidney stones and crohn's disease and tells you to talk to dr first, so she assumes it will do damage to her kidneys. I have crohns, and the difference this wol has made is amazing! As soon as I have sugar/starch/high carbs, my symptoms returned. First time in 8 years I haven't been anemic, too!

The way I deal with the nay sayers and others is to say "I am glucose intolerant" so I don't have to explain why I eat this way. And everyone who is overweight is glucose intolerant- their body can't tolerate glucose (carbs) and stores it. So you may want to use that the next time someone says "you need to stop that diet"!

Good luck with that last 3 lbs- took me three months to lose my last 5 and only 3 weeks to gain it back! Uggghhhh! Exercise is the key to preventing the droop that comes with the loss, so be sure to get some in!

Nan

flynnlee Thu, Jan-22-04 20:55

oh! i know what ya'll mean. my mom and i have two male friends that are gay; and it doesn't bug me when my family members say something like that, because i know they mean it out of love, but these guys--i'll mention something every once in awhile about having to lose this last thirty pounds, and how it is sometimes hard to find a date, and, bless their kind hearts, they go 'we think your body's perfect', and i'll look at them and shake my head, because, you know, they're not interested in women so it doesn't matter to them!!!!!!! you know, guys just don't seem interested when you're that overweight...

adkpam Thu, Jan-22-04 21:12

Oh, yeah, matty. My in-laws mentioned that my face looked "pale & thin" over Thanksgiving, and while I couldn't see it, they confirmed over Christmas that I "look much healthier" even though I lost 3 pounds over the holidays.
It just got redistributed.
However, I do think that it's mostly people trying to thrown a wrench in your happy machinery, even people who should love you just that bit more...except they can't, in this particular area.

FrecklFluf Fri, Jan-23-04 09:01

If anyone ever says that to me (when I get to that point), I will simply reply, "Actually, I'm well within the recommended weight range for my height. You're just not used to seeing me this way, but if I'd always been this size, you probably wouldn't think a thing about it."

It's the truth; might as well tell it like it is.

And if they say they don't think I eat enough, I will describe a typical day's menu to them. Who knows? Maybe I could convince someone to adopt this WOL.